Ladies who lift: Side bends?

Options
Hi,

I have recently started a strength training routine. In addition to other exercises, I have been doing side bends with 25 lb dumbbells. The next day, my obliques feel sore and tight, in a good way. That feeling that you worked something, you know. It's a good feeling, but I know that can be misleading. I googled side bends, and there seems to be a lot of differing opinions on whether they are any good or not. I am a female, looking to maintain muscle while eating at a small calorie deficit. Ladies (or men, if you have an opinion), what do you think of side-bends? If you do them, what results have they given you, if any?

p.s. I am close to maintenence. I am not looking to build muscle that will make my waist thicker, rather I'd like some more shape in my waist as I've never had much of one.

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    My wife did them with a 45 lb plate. (the weight should only be in one hand...) but found it fairly pointless
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I do them, I like them. Not only can I feel the difference but so does my husband. I will continue to have them in my strength training routine.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I do a lot with small weights in my Barre Classes.. I can feel it, they make me feel good, I do them.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have also heard people say "don't do them or you will get bigger in your waist" and for me it can't be further from the truth. i used to avoid them or never did them, it wasn't until i started to do the side bends of the standing bench with a 10 lb plate that i saw my obliques for the first time. i love them!
  • Amyp7777
    Amyp7777 Posts: 79
    Options
    Great! Thanks for the responses everyone! I will continue to work on them.
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add that working your lats (back) and shoulders can help you create more of a waist and an hourglass shape.
  • Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have also heard people say "don't do them or you will get bigger in your waist" and for me it can't be further from the truth. i used to avoid them or never did them, it wasn't until i started to do the side bends of the standing bench with a 10 lb plate that i saw my obliques for the first time. i love them!

Great tip, thanks!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I don't personally do them, but I think most people will agree: if you're doing something because you like it, with proper form, then don't stop doing it. If you were to say, "I don't think I'm getting results.... should I stop?" some people might suggest doing other techniques to make efficient use of your time and muscles... but if you're liking it, it's not hurting, and you're enjoying the after-effects... good on you girl!
  • JuiceBars
    JuiceBars Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I guess it would depend on if this is your only exercise that you do for your obliques. I think they are fine to do as part of your routine but certainly add others that will work that area a bit differently too, like side planks for example.
  • Sierra_christine89
    Sierra_christine89 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I do them every day, they have helped tone up my thighs, and my bum quite a bit! Its all about preference though. If they aren't working for you, move on and try something else and see what works for you, and what doesnt. I'll, however, keep these in my daily routine! Best of luck!
  • bellaamor30
    bellaamor30 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • Amyp7777
    Options
    I'd like to add that working your lats (back) and shoulders can help you create more of a waist and an hourglass shape.

Good point, thanks!
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I chuckle when I see people do these with a dumbbell in each hand. Physics. One acts as a counter weight for the other and you aren't really lifting anything at all, other than the benefit you get from simply holding them.

No offense if you are doing it this way, but please take a moment to consider.
  • Amyp7777
    Options
    I chuckle when I see people do these with a dumbbell in each hand. Physics. One acts as a counter weight for the other and you aren't really lifting anything at all, other than the benefit you get from simply holding them.

Haha, I did catch myself doing this twice now, just not thinking to put the other weight down. But yes, I do know better.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I never used to incorporate them into my workouts, but ever since I started doing them a few times a week on my ab days, I can honestly say I've seen results. I have a little more definition in my obliques, whereas before there wasn't much at all. I do them with a kettlebell, I just find it easier to hold.
    I also do side planks with a 25 or 30lb dumb bell on my side. These work great also.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have recently started a strength training routine. In addition to other exercises, I have been doing side bends with 25 lb dumbbells.

You can do side bends or sit ups, but please don't lose that butt.

sir_mix_a_lot.jpg

I don't do direct oblique work. Mine stand out enough on their own and bigger obliques would just make my waist look thicker.
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options

I do them with a 25 lb disc weight. I lift the weight up to my chest on the opposite side I am leaning each time. It works your shoulder muscles.

ETA: I have noticed a difference in abs since starting them.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I do them with a 25 lb disc weight. I lift the weight up to my chest on the opposite side I am leaning each time. It works your shoulder muscles.

ETA: I have noticed a difference in abs since starting them.

I've done them but cut them out because I found other exercises that I found more effective. I think planks (regular or side) are more effective if you're aim is the abdominal area. If you are looking at shoulders, I'd say push ups, shoulder presses or raises (lateral, front, scaptions).

There is an exercise I came across on bodybuilding.com called Iron Crosses that work both shoulders and hamstrings. Kicks my butt! hahaha.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I do them as an accessory to develop more core strength, which has improved my squat form and improved my deadlift stats. I had a very weak core when I started lifting.

I don't do them often, maybe once a week. I get a lot of core work from compound lifts, but when I feel that my core is too weak, I add them in.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I only do them in the form of a Triangle pose: one weight over head- stays over head and you bend away from it.

I also do Pallof Press and Plank Row with 25 lb weights- NO TWISTING.

Gets a lot more stuff in there than just a simple side bend.

So no I don't do side bends- but I definitely do weighted ab work.