Back fat

I have had trouble with holding weight in back any tips on getting rid of back fat ?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,915 Member
    You cannot spot reduce fat (unless it's liposuction). The lower your body fat percentage, the less overall fat you have.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could tell the fat where we want to lose it from?! My back fat has noticably decreased, but my waist measurement has hardly budged!
  • MaiAleaNguyen
    MaiAleaNguyen Posts: 5 Member

AnvilHead wrote: »
    You can’t spot reduce/choose where you lose fat from. Just maintain a calorie deficit and the fat will eventually come off, but where you gain/lose it from is dictated by your genetics.

I've lost over 50 pounds before and still carried a lot of weight in my back you're telling me there are no specific exercises or anything to reduce the excess fat in a targeted area?
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    You can’t spot reduce/choose where you lose fat from. Just maintain a calorie deficit and the fat will eventually come off, but where you gain/lose it from is dictated by your genetics.

I've lost over 50 pounds before and still carried a lot of weight in my back you're telling me there are no specific exercises or anything to reduce the excess fat in a targeted area?
    The short answer, sadly, is: "No."

The longer answer is that you can sometimes make an area look trimmer by exercising to tighten up the muscles underlying the fat. Fat deposits over trim muscles = less flabby appearance than fat deposits over flabby muscles. But the fat will still be there. It only goes when you lose weight and your body decides that some of that weight will come from that spot. So the longer answer adds up to: "Kinda sorta a little bit yes, but really: 'No.'"

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Eat less
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,241 Member

This is not how exercise works. Exercise can help your body to burn more calories (=energy) overall. On its own the exercise does not burn fat around the muscle it exercises. This was something people used to believe in the pre-internet era and is not true.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    edited October 2018
    Fat is a *kitten*. It seems to know where you want to reduce the most, then makes sure that's the last to go.
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Meanwhile my b cup is getting smaller but my "side/back" fat stays right where it is.... stupid fat not knowing where it needs to stay and where it needs to GO!
  • harsh reality..... the bright side is you can quit wasting your time reading the articles that say "lose your flabby "insert body part" with this simple exercise..... at least I have saved a bunch of time.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    shunggie wrote: »
    Meanwhile my b cup is getting smaller but my "side/back" fat stays right where it is.... stupid fat not knowing where it needs to stay and where it needs to GO!

Oh it knows... the fat is just ^$#% withing you because you are trying to get rid of it.