Weight loss and muscle loss - Nutrition Help Please

Options
I'm sure this subject has been discussed in the past, so my apologies in advance.

I have been using MFP for several years and successfully shifted a lot of weight and kept it off. I still have a couple of stone that ideally I want to lose mainly due to health reasons and not vanity.

I spend 2/3 times a week doing strength session training and am after some nutritional support. I know when you lose weight you will also lose muscle. I'm aiming to lose no more than 1lb a week.

Can someone point me in the direction of a good website or service that can help with nutritional support and advice please? My diet is mainly Mediterranean based and I prefer not to each much red meat so like clean eating. What Macro splits are recommended etc?

Lots of questions..... thanks in advance

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You already know that a sustained calorie deficit is what makes ou lose weight, but that you shouldn't aim for a too large deficit. Good. That's practically all you need to know. I think that beyond that, trying to unlearn some nutritional advice is most important, because everything that comes in the way of a consistent calorie deficit and moderate exercise, will derail you.

Clean eating is nothing more than a buzzword, a moral superiority complex, fear, confusion. "The Mediterranean Diet" is not the various diets that the peoples of the Mediterranean region eat. A healthy diet is balanced and varied, not restrictive and boring. A healthy relationship with food is not just a healthy diet, but also allowing oneself to enjoy it, without fear, shame and guilt, and it's just as important for health and wellbeing.

Nutritional needs of healthy adults are more of a range, than a number. You're the one who's going to eat, so a macro split that fits your taste preference, is generally recommended. MFP suggests a split that is based on average values, you can start with that; take notes, then adjust.