Does It Work?

Options
Has anyone tried IIFYM to lose weight and if you have, Is it worth the money and do it actually work?

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It's basically eating food while focusing on macros. You can do that for free. MFP gives you the tools to track both your calories and macros. I don't exactly do "IFFYM" because I don't really focus on my macros much, although I'm aware of them and sometimes the choices I make are macro friendly, mainly only protein, and even that not always. A macro focused diet didn't work for me, in the sense that it was too stressful and kind of limiting in terms of trying to juggle all three which lead to a less sustainable approach for me.

It does work for many many people, though. All you need to do is eat food and logging, making choices that get you closer to the macro balance you chose ( this means you're within calories by default, which is why any diet works).
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I haven't paid for the program. Using MFP there is no need to. MFP uses NEAT. IIFYM uses TDDD. Bottom line is what was said above. Set you calorie goal. Get adequate protein and measure for 6 or 8 weeks. Adjust as necessary. I've lost 40 lbs using the concept of IIFYM without using their program.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    It work, because of the principle, which other posts above have already stated. No worth forking out money for.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Heart_Fit wrote: »
    Has anyone tried IIFYM to lose weight and if you have, Is it worth the money and do it actually work?

A lot of us keep track of our macros without actually paying for the IIFYM program. I think most people I know who say they "do IIFYM" have just read up on the strategy and figured it out themselves. In general, you can use the MFP default macros, but look at protein and fat as minimums rather than goals. You can make it more complicated or specific than that if you'd like, but it's certainly not necessary.

IMHO, it is rarely worth it to pay for a diet program to lose weight. I'd suggest starting for free with MFP, and really committing to it as if you had paid for it - log accurately and consistently, get a food scale, focus on the long term trend. Whatever you decide, good luck!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What money? You lose weight by eating less. That should cost less money. You can eat less in any way you want, but you have to do it for real, consistently and for a long time, so the better your diet is adjusted to you, and the less you have to rebel against, the greater ease of adherence.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Honestly, there is enough free information on IIFYM that you can use this free site to manage it. I wouldn't pay for it.
  • Heart_Fit
    Heart_Fit Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone for your greatly appreciated opinions.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    It's not just opinion, it's fact.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I was just thinking why would anyone pay when that's basically what MFP does, its a tool to calorie count and track IIFYM...
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    I was just thinking why would anyone pay when that's basically what MFP does, its a tool calorie count and track IIFYM...
    You've been around here for some time, so I take it as a rhetorical question and answer as if it weren't :D
    People like to struggle, and if they can pay someone to let them, it's even better, so they can complain more.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking why would anyone pay when that's basically what MFP does, its a tool calorie count and track IIFYM...
    You've been around here for some time, so I take it as a rhetorical question and answer as if it weren't :D
    People like to struggle, and if they can pay someone to let them, it's even better, so they can complain more.

yep rhetorical... :smiley: I am of the thinking if I can do something for free, then I choose that option :smiley:
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Maybe we should be asking ourselves what definitely did NOT work over all those years. Otherwise - where would my extra weight come from anyway? Just see your GP, have a blood test done, join MFP and take it meal by meal, day by day. Go for some walks if you can manage. Start changing to a healthier lifestyle, make small changes only to begin with. Do not fret how long it will take to lose all that weight (over 70 kg, 150 pounds) on my account) - it has taken me years to gain it, now it will take a bit of time to get healthier again.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Agree with a lot of the comments above that you can replicate the principles of IIFYM for free utilizing MFP to set reasonable calorie goal based on the amount of weight you have to lose, and by tracking your macros in addition to your total calorie intake.

But because I think it’s important to make sure people have the right expectations and understanding of any program they engage in - what is your understanding of IIFYM and what appealed to you about it enough to post this thread?