• SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    jhilkene wrote: »
    Today is day 9 and I’m down 1 pound!

Awesome !!

Hope everyone is staying focused!
    It was creeping in my mind lately.. and I had to kick it out! :relieved:

It creeps in my mind daily around 3:00. But, I fight through it the best I can. No slips yet. I have a family birthday party this weekend and a family wedding the following so I know those will be VERY challenging for me but I'm going to do the best I can. Keep going strong!
  • 73CL350
    73CL350 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    @SisterSueGetsFit ... good luck! I got through my first weekend by locking myself in my house and not being social.

I know its not a long term solution ... but I just wasnt ready to be around it.

Let us know how it goes!
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    Options
    73CL350 wrote: »
    @SisterSueGetsFit ... good luck! I got through my first weekend by locking myself in my house and not being social.

I know its not a long term solution ... but I just wasnt ready to be around it.

Let us know how it goes!

@73CL350 I've basically locked myself away also as that's what works for me as well. I did go to a fall festival for my friends kid's 3rd birthday Sunday. They were all pouring vodka in their apple cider, but I abstained. I think after this week "locked up" I'll be ready to face the birthday on Saturday. Plus, I'm not sure my parents have seen me in a social gathering completely sober in years... I want to prove it to them more that I want to prove it to myself. Continued luck to you.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking years ago and I found that no one really cares whether or not I drink. The only people I told were my parents - and they lived 3500 miles away so no risk in them blabbing to other people in my life. :lol:

As far as social events where I know there will be drinking, I only go to them if there is some other reason to be there such as the birthday or wedding and I always have either my own drink with me, or a plan regarding what I will or won't drink. Being in weight maintenance after being over weight adds another layer to the solution, in that I'm not going to drink Coke or root beer or straight non-alcoholic punch. I've settled on soda with lime, water, hot tea for social events.

I also have a plan of escape for when people start getting tipsy. I find I don't enjoy being around people when they've had one too many so I just have a plan to leave when/if it gets that way. Wedding receptions are tricksy for this. I just leave as soon as possible. I drive my own car and have an exit strategy, "I have to go, thanks so much for everything and congratulations again!"

No is a full sentence, and a plan is the way to go.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    Options
    I quit drinking years ago and I found that no one really cares whether or not I drink. The only people I told were my parents - and they lived 3500 miles away so no risk in them blabbing to other people in my life. :lol:

As far as social events where I know there will be drinking, I only go to them if there is some other reason to be there such as the birthday or wedding and I always have either my own drink with me, or a plan regarding what I will or won't drink. Being in weight maintenance after being over weight adds another layer to the solution, in that I'm not going to drink Coke or root beer or straight non-alcoholic punch. I've settled on soda with lime, water, hot tea for social events.

I also have a plan of escape for when people start getting tipsy. I find I don't enjoy being around people when they've had one too many so I just have a plan to leave when/if it gets that way. Wedding receptions are tricksy for this. I just leave as soon as possible. I drive my own car and have an exit strategy, "I have to go, thanks so much for everything and congratulations again!"

I absolutely LOVE this and must remember it more often.

• cmriverside
    Options

To be fair and in the spirit of disclosure, I actually say, "No, thanks." Because polite, yo.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

To be fair and in the spirit of disclosure, I actually say, "No, thanks." Because polite, yo.

"No" is a full sentence? Am I missing something? Just that the rest of the sentence is implied. No (I would not like an adult beverage). Is that right?
  • 73CL350
    edited October 2018
    Options
    ^^ this person's profile photo matches their attitude exactly. Too funny...

Since you seem the simple type; here is the cliff notes version of what a one word sentence is...

https://www.cliffsnotes.com/cliffsnotes/subjects/writing/what-is-a-one-word-sentence-called
  • JustinAnimal
    edited October 2018
    Options
    ^^ this person's profile photo matches their attitude exactly. Too funny...

Since you seem the simple type; here is the cliff notes version of what a one word sentence is...

https://www.cliffsnotes.com/cliffsnotes/subjects/writing/what-is-a-one-word-sentence-called

Way to be a *kitten*head about it, 73.

I'm an English teacher and I'd never teach my students that "no" is a complete sentence without the explanation that the subject and predicate are implied.

complete sentences need a subject and predicate, or subject-verb-object (the way we typically structure our sentences in English).

*kitten*head...
  • 73CL350
    Options
    . . . Have fun being 'that guy'.
  • JustinAnimal
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Someone who speaks with clarity? Is that the guy I'm being? Or defensive because some stranger who thinks he looks dignified called me simple?
  • 73CL350
    Options
    Sir, the original post wasn't english lesson
    ... it was a helpful motto for people trying to abstain from alcohol under social pressure.

When you said "am I missing something?" ... yes you are. What she said was grammatically correct (since you're and English teacher you might care about that) ... but what you were missing was the entire point of what she said.

"I'd never teach my students that..."
    ...again...
    You completely missed the point and started tubthumping about an unrelated topic.

It is important to note: "no" IS a complete sentence...

So, why did you even post in here?
  • jhilkene
    jhilkene Posts: 104 Member
    Options

So, why did you even post in here?

Grammar police :wink: :D

I've been guilty of it... more for fun though, and usually not on social medias, since everyone uses shorthand or whatever.

Otherwise... No. Cmriverside does not want a drink. Neither do I. :smiley:

• SisterSueGetsFit
    Options
    Well I want a drink, but I’m not having one. OP here. I was hoping to come on here and read something positive. Instead I got dribble from people fighting. Y’all gotta do better. That probably isn’t proper English grammar either, but I don’t give a *kitten*.
  • jhilkene
    Options
    Well I want a drink, but I’m not having one. OP here. I was hoping to come on here and read something positive. Instead I got dribble from people fighting. Y’all gotta do better. That probably isn’t proper English grammar either, but I don’t give a *kitten*.

I didn't mean that negatively towards anyone. Just trying to make light of the sentence debate. :/

• cmriverside
    Options
    :lol:

The posts from animal dude are blanked out.

I assume he was taking shots at me?

Not gonna drink over it.

tenor.gif?itemid=5026133
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Or...do I have him on ignore?

:no_mouth:
  • jhilkene
    Options
    Or...do I have him on ignore?