Working From Home

Options
At 25, I am trying out different jobs trying to figure out what I want to do with my life. My current job is a good change of pace but I do not think I want to do it long term. I have worked in several jobs involving education and I think that is the route I want to go. I recently thought that since I have always had a sedentary job working in front of a computer, that maybe working from home wouldnt be any different.

Is there anyone out there that is or has worked a full-time work from home, computer-based job, that has found that it is more beneficial to their health and weight than not? I feel like I could get so much done working at home since I do not have children.

Replies

• uscooleys
    uscooleys Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have worked from home for about 6 years now and am in front of the computer most of the time. I just joined MFP a couple of months ago and have been consciously focusing on my health -- it is a very slow journey for me but I am focusing on lifestyle change and not rapid weight loss. It takes discipline for me because I feel it is easier to slip up and snack because the kitchen is right there. However, once I got my routine down, I think it made me more conscious of what I am doing. My job just changed a bit and so I am off my schedule as I take on some additional responsibilities but I am trying to get back on my routine.

My old routine was log in first thing and work for an hour or so. Then take a break and work out. I am lucky to have a workout room in my basement with a treadmill, elliptical, weights, dvds and a tv. But I also try to get outside when the weather is nice. I also try to plan my meals and snacks to try to avoid mindless snacking. I am a stress eater so having the kitchen close by can be a challenge. I also make myself get up and walk around a couple times of day just to get moving. Using a fitbit has made me realize that i do not move enough during the day so that is now a focus for me as well. And i make myself log everything on MFP to keep me honest.

With my job change things are a bit hectic so I am having to rethink my routine. I am planning on actually blocking workout time on my calendar so that I make sure I am doing it (rather than relying on natural breaks).

Bottom line -- working at home takes discipline since it is easy (at least for me) to get distracted by laundry, dusting, cleaning up something. But I am much more productive compared to when I was working in the office. And i think I am less tempted to eat unhealthy because I am not going out for lunch regularly or have to deal with people bringing food into the office.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I have worked from home for a few years now. My home office is right next to the kitchen. lol It was too easy to go grab a quick snack here and before I knew weight piled on.

I have learned over the years to drink more water, make hemp protein shakes (full of fiber and it is slow digesting which keeps me full for a while) and I've trained myself to eat all of my calories in a particular window (Intermittent Fasting) which helped me with the snacking.

Working from home also allows me to get some exercise in during down times so for me there was no excuse as to why couldn't get the extra weight off. I even get on the floor and do random push ups and planks when I can.

I can say working from home has definitely benefited my weight/fat loss goals although I know it's not for everyone!
  • AMM160981
    AMM160981 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I am a social person which I am concerned about working at home alone. However, I am also a very neurotic person and my coworkers drive me nuts a lot of the time with their chewing and just lack of overall manners. And most of the time when I left the job, it was because of the people I worked with whether a manager or coworker. I feel like it would be a good transition for me. I havent applied to any jobs yet that are work from home but I have found a few that I am qualified for. I snack when my boyfriend isnt home and have a hard time with accountability. But if I have the opportunity to workout a couple of times a day and have that freedom to cook and prep meals, I feel like it would be better for me. Most of the stuff I cook is processed or 3-4 ingredient fixes that arent exactly healthy. By the time I get home from work I dont want to cook or workout. I just wanted to know if anyone else has worked from home and whether it is a good idea.

I know every individual is different and I am overall a strong willed person.
  • Tronnnn
    Tronnnn Posts: 1
    Options
    We do eBay from home and we love it.