Surgery

Options
I just started making real progress and getting used to my diet. I have back surgery in a few days and the recovery is actually a long one. Any ideas on how to at least keep from gaining weight during recovery. I've put on so much weight because it hurts to move.

Replies

• barefootcassie
    barefootcassie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm having surgery on the 25th and I talked with my doctor about weightloss and healing. For me, he wants me to stick to my 1200 calorie goal but to up my protein intake for healing.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    All the best for your surgery and recovery. You wont gain if you eat at maintenance or at calorie deficit, log what you eat, that way you can keep a handle on what your weight does.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Log everything you eat... I would say eat at maintenance while you are healing, your body will need the food to repair. Worry about losing when your medical teams clears you to do so.

Everything up there! If you eat at maintenance you won't gain or lose, and your body will have the energy it needs to heal effectively. I hope the surgery is successful.
  • r0ck3rgirl
    r0ck3rgirl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My main concern is I don't be able to move around and I don't want to gain weight during the six weeks before physical therapy. Also do I log physical therapy?
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    r0ck3rgirl wrote: »
    My main concern is I don't be able to move around and I don't want to gain weight during the six weeks before physical therapy. Also do I log physical therapy?

I'd suggest not trying to log the PT as it's unlikely that the activity calories associated will amount to anything significant, especially in the first few weeks.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

I don't log physical therapy. My PT only started getting vigorous enough to be worth logging six plus months after starting after my most recent surgery.
  • r0ck3rgirl
    Options
    My surgery is Monday. Should I just ask the orthopedic surgeon what my calorie intake should be while healing? I don't know if I want to let the app decide since it's n't health.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    My surgery is Monday. Should I just ask the orthopedic surgeon what my calorie intake should be while healing? I don't know if I want to let the app decide since it's n't health.

Talk to your surgeon about it. It makes significantly more sense to ask them than us or relying on the app.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,483 Member
    Options

May I ask what kind of back surgery you are having? I work outpatient surgery and see multiple back surgeries daily. The first thing we do (after verifying identity and vital signs) is get those patients up and walking. As much as they can tolerate. And the education we provide them on discharge has them walking short distances frequently, working up to longer distances. No lifting, but lots of walking. The worst thing our patients can do after their back surgeries is sit around inactive. Leads to poorer outcomes.
  • r0ck3rgirl
    Options
    A double laminectomy and discectomy I'm not sure I spelled either correctly
  • r0ck3rgirl
    Options
    It's inpatient surgery but they did say I would be able to get up after the first day and walk some. I'll be having surgery on my cervical spine in a few months to for fusion
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,483 Member
    Options
    It's inpatient surgery but they did say I would be able to get up after the first day and walk some. I'll be having surgery on my cervical spine in a few months to for fusion

Okay. The surgeries I see are lumbar laminectomies (1-3 levels) and anterior cervical discectomy fusions (1-2 levels). Generally anywhere from 2hr to 23hr stay (overnight) depending on a variety of factors. Any cervical surgery performed posteriorly goes to the floor (inpatient).