Wearable Fitness Tech

Options
Hello all,

Saturday morning I was doing a full body workout video at home (youtube) and the woman leading the class was wearing an apple watch that told her "we" had burned over 600 calories during the hour long video. I love this!

While I dont think I want to spend that kind of money (also dont have an iphone), I am very interested in purchasing some sort of wearable device that shows me how many calories I have burned during an exercise so Im not guessing anymore! I would like to stat under $200 (Canadian). Any recommendations?

So far the one that sticks out the most is the new Fitbit Charge 3, but it is at the very top end of my budget at $199 (plus taxes).

I am not at all tech savvy, but have some great people at work that could help me out if needed haha

Thanks!

Replies

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I have had the Garmin Vivosmart HR and now have a Fitbit Charge HR. The fitbit isn't terrible and the app is very user friendly, but I definitely preferred the Garmin. They didn't make the same model anymore when I lost my old Garmin, which is why I decided to give fitbit a try. Now I have to wait at least a couple years (or I somehow come in to a huge amount of money) before going back to Garmin.

Also, I do still have a Samsung Gear S2 classic in rose gold with a white leather band. I use it more as a smart watch, as I really don't like the app and I bought it to be fancy, not to get it all scratched up while weight lifting (which is almost what happened immediately). I would suggest not getting a Samsung unless you have a Samsung phone to pair it with.

ETA: I also meant to add that you need to watch out for that high calorie burn (@Tacklewasher reminded me) . 1-it's going to be different for different bodies, and 2-my fitbit gives me waaaay too high of a calorie burn for weight lifting/calesthenics/etc, and a fairly low but probably more realistic burn for running.
  • fatmonsters
    fatmonsters Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have a schosche rythym (original not the waterproof one) and it was under 100 (think I spent around 60 on mine). It’s a HRM without a display so you pair to an app. I pair it to my gym’s app that has my personalized heart rate zones but I also pair to the polar bear app. Have had it a few months and I like it just fine. If I wanted to spend more I’m sure there are other good options but I wanted an accurate HRM and they’d been recommended/got good reviews.
  • ashleyallen87
    ashleyallen87 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have had the Garmin Vivosmart HR and now have a Fitbit Charge HR. The fitbit isn't terrible and the app is very user friendly, but I definitely preferred the Garmin. They didn't make the same model anymore when I lost my old Garmin, which is why I decided to give fitbit a try. Now I have to wait at least a couple years (or I somehow come in to a huge amount of money) before going back to Garmin.

Also, I do still have a Samsung Gear S2 classic in rose gold with a white leather band. I use it more as a smart watch, as I really don't like the app and I bought it to be fancy, not to get it all scratched up while weight lifting (which is almost what happened immediately). I would suggest not getting a Samsung unless you have a Samsung phone to pair it with.

ETA: I also meant to add that you need to watch out for that high calorie burn (@Tacklewasher reminded me) . 1-it's going to be different for different bodies, and 2-my fitbit gives me waaaay too high of a calorie burn for weight lifting/calesthenics/etc, and a fairly low but probably more realistic burn for running.

really eh...I honestly thought it would give a very accurate picture of the calorie burn since its based on heart rate, thats great to know though!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

really eh...I honestly thought it would give a very accurate picture of the calorie burn since its based on heart rate, thats great to know though!

I discount my weight lifting by ~ a 3rd. Running is spot on for me.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

Wrist based heart rate monitors won't be as accurate as a chest strap monitor anyway, and both are most accurate doing steady state cardio. You just have to play with the numbers in combination with your MFP calorie goal, to get the best idea of how much exercise calories you can eat back.
  • dreza617
    dreza617 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have used a fitbit Alta HR forever now but I don't rely on it for exercise. It's all over the place and highly inaccurate during workouts. I use a basic Polar chest strap heart rate monitor for my workouts and have been doing so for many years and I find it to be the most accurate way to measure calorie burn. I override whatever the fitbit claimed I burned during my workout period with the results of the Polar hrm. I got it at Best Buy years ago for maybe $70.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I have had a Fitbit Flex and a Garmin Vivofit2. I would highly recommend the Garmin. Among other advantages it never needs charging, just replace the batteries every few years. The Fitbit stopped holding a charge after about 14 months. Also, I can swim with the Garmin.

Calorie burns calculated are somewhat inaccurate at first. If you are meticulous in your logging, it gets better and better. My Fitbit was about 100 calories over when I compared it to real life data, but this was after wearing it for about 2 months. My Garmin is about 50 calories under, but I have had it for 3 years now.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    my brother had the vivofit and he liked it
    i have had the vivosmart and vivosmartHR and now the vivoactive. i find the data to be accurate. i have found the HR to be pretty spot on in comparison to the chest. i mostly run, walk, and hike.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I used a paired chest strap HR monitor and an app for years, then recently switched to an Apple watch. With the chest strap the HR was very accurate but the apps I used would typically over estimate calories. Instead of a 600-800 calorie burn in my usual 1.5 hour workouts I'd see a 1200 or even 1500 calorie burn. Wasn't a big deal, I just adjusted it manually and kept up the hard work. With the Apple watch I've noticed it's much much more accurate for me on calorie burns. It'll give me active vs inactive calorie burns when doing cross training/circuit training which means it's only counting excess calories when I'm working hard and not at rest. The HR feature I didn't expect to be accurate but it has been within 1-2bpm of my chest strap consistently. However, the Apple watch is more on the pricey end and only works well if you have an iPhone to configure it. I'd stay away from anything fitbit, my wife and I both tried them and found them very inaccurate (personal experience only, and admittedly an old opinion since I have not used one in over 2 years). Garmin makes some really nice products from what I've seen. If you have an iPhone though, the Apple watch is a no-brainer.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing a Fitbit for 4 years now, and I love them! Currently have the Charge 2, but I've been eyeing the Charge 3 since you can wear it in water.

The two I've had have lasted pretty well - my original Flex made it over 2 years and still worked, just needed to be charged daily at the end. The only issue I've had with the Charge 2 in the past 1.5 years is the band broke (but I just bought a replacement off Amazon for $8).
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I have had a Fitbit Flex and a Garmin Vivofit2. I would highly recommend the Garmin. Among other advantages it never needs charging, just replace the batteries every few years. The Fitbit stopped holding a charge after about 14 months. Also, I can swim with the Garmin.

Calorie burns calculated are somewhat inaccurate at first. If you are meticulous in your logging, it gets better and better. My Fitbit was about 100 calories over when I compared it to real life data, but this was after wearing it for about 2 months. My Garmin is about 50 calories under, but I have had it for 3 years now.

Interesting, how was your experience with the swim tracking for that model of Garmin?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,883 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Vivoactive 3, replacing a very old Polar HRM-only (I forget which model). I like the VA3, and find it useful, but have no illusions that it "shows me how many calories I have burned during an exercise so Im not guessing anymore". I'm still guessing, just with more information and tools.

These devices measure some things, such as heart rate, distance, speed, arm motion, etc. They use those measurements, plus some algorithms (fancy word for computer programs written by mere humans) based on research studies, to estimate calorie burn. They don't measure calorie burn, in any normal sense of "measure".

Because none of the things they can truly measure fully correlate with or determine calorie burn, but are only inexact proxies for it , the estimates are only as good as the algorithms, the research, and the humans who it put it all together. In some scenarios, they can be pretty accurate. In others, they're laughably inaccurate.

This is an old article, but still a valid one, with respect to heart rate as an indicator of calorie burn. I encourage anyone who uses a HRM-based estimator to read it:

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

I used my Polar's exercise calorie estimates for most activities, after checking them against other sources (including MFP's exercise database, specialized activity calculators that accept additional inputs (like terrain, speed, etc.), exercise machines, etc.) and thinking about which estimate was likely to be the most reliable. In some cases, these were close; in others there was a huge range. These days, I use the VA3's estimates for most cardio-type activities (for me that's rowing and spin), and the MFP database for strength training (because HR methods are way wrong for weight training, typically). For things I do rarely, I go back to the "check multiple sources and compare" idea. When in doubt, I use the "pick the lowest estimate" methodology.

I don't use the VA3 TDEE calorie estimate because I know from experience that it's very, very wrong for me (while acknowledging that this and similar good-quality devices are likely to be fairly accurate TDEE estimators for most people).
  • earlnabby
    Options
    kiela64 wrote: »

Interesting, how was your experience with the swim tracking for that model of Garmin?

I use a lap counter to track my laps (I wear it on my index finger and press a button for each lap. It is second nature to press it just before I go into my flip turn). I don't trust anything else to be accurate.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I have a Skagen hybrid smart watch that has a pedometer to count my steps and add activity to MFP

I have a Wahoo Tickr (chest strap) that I use when I'm cycling to record my HR/activity levels during rides which adds the activity to MFP for me

I don't bother logging additional exercise when I do my lifting (modified 3-day 5x5 routine). The calories burned during lifting like that I reckon would be pretty negligible anyway.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I got a fitbit charge 2 in July and I've been enjoying it much more than I thought I would.

I mostly use it for statistics because I'm a data nerd (you should see my weightloss spreadsheet). Using it's calculated burn and my tracking from MFP I'd say it's reasonably accurate with the burn. The biggest issue I have with it is that I can't take it onto the judo mat, so I've no idea what it would be telling me I'm burning for that. However assuming my guesstimates for judo are accurate, it's coming in as accurate to about 25-75kcal* per day (also assuming my logging is perfect, which I know sometimes I'm under logging, meaning it might be even closer to the true value)

However, I don't really use it for exercise per say. Just walking and day to day activities. I want to start running so I'll be tracking how that effects my burn, and how much it effects the accuracy of my tracking.

*Edit - just checked my numbers from 17th July to 13th Sep (I have already done the calculations for this point) it's averaged out as a 48.9kcals difference per day between theoretical loss and actual loss (as in I was consuming 48.9kcals more, or burning 48.9kcals less). Which considering I don't often log my cups of tea or coffee means that it's probably pretty close to my actual burn
  • kiela64
    Options

I use a lap counter to track my laps (I wear it on my index finger and press a button for each lap. It is second nature to press it just before I go into my flip turn). I don't trust anything else to be accurate.

Thanks! I hadn’t known about lap counters until recently from MFP. 😛
  • kiela64
    Options

Sorry to sidetrack the thread a bit but I looked these up and wow they are so expensive! Like a second fitness tracker! Why! 😱
  • earlnabby
    Options

Sorry to sidetrack the thread a bit but I looked these up and wow they are so expensive! Like a second fitness tracker! Why! 😱

Mine was $25 3 years ago. I did not get one with a timer because I have that feature on my Vivofit. I see that they are $30 now. Here is the seller I bought mine from https://ebay.com/itm/SPORTCOUNT-LapCounter-Model-Waterproof-Ring-Lap-Counter-Tally-Swim-Run/121315987474?epid=1300590094&hash=item1c3eff1012:g:GZoAAMXQVT9SxiEs:sc:USPSFirstClass!53029!US!-1