Working out with a knee injury?

Options
Just came back from my PT and was diagnosed with a knee injury (can't pronounce, let alone spell it). I was told no running, elliptical, or extended walks for 2 weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions for cardio workouts that don't involve using your legs? I know I can do strength training still, but I don't really want to work my arms and back four times a week...The gym I currently go to doesn't have much (like one of those hand pedal machines), so I'm not sure how I can maintain my cardio.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Swimming maybe...

But really, taking a couple of weeks off isn't a big deal. I've been out of commission now for almost 2 months and will be testing the waters starting today. You're really not going to lose much in the way of cardiovascular fitness in a couple of weeks, and what you do lose will come back very quickly.
  • jryepin93
    jryepin93 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Awesome thanks! It's more of me going stir crazy not doing anything lol
  • Huggy8123
    Huggy8123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    How about boxing? You don't even need a punching bag. Just throw jabs, hooks, and uppercuts with some authority in the air.
  • fkthisimoff2asgard
    Options
    I had knee surgery 5 months ago and couldn't walk without crutches for 2 months...I feel you. I just tried to concentrate on strengthening my upper body a bit, and also some gentle yoga helped me from going nuts. Good luck, rest it well and you'll be back at it in no time 😊
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Huggy8123 wrote: »
    How about boxing? You don't even need a punching bag. Just throw jabs, hooks, and uppercuts with some authority in the air.

The issue I can imagine with that could very potentially/easily be pivoting.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    jryepin93 wrote: »
    Awesome thanks! It's more of me going stir crazy not doing anything lol

I'm second cwolfman13 honestly. I've spoken at this at length, but I've had various periods where I've had to spend a month and a half off from any weight bearing activity on each leg (also no swimming - that would have been...very bad). I also wasn't allowed to bend my affected knee past 60 degrees. It sucks and I went stir crazy most instances of this (four major surgeries) but you deal with it.

I went into each surgery having done 4-7+ hours of deliberate exercise a week (cycling primarily) and went from that to nothing other than very limited physical therapy. Two weeks is a really short period of time and you will survive without doing exercises involving your lower body. You also won't lose a whole lot of fitness over the span of two weeks.
  • YourJuneInJan
    YourJuneInJan Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Swimming maybe...

But really, taking a couple of weeks off isn't a big deal. I've been out of commission now for almost 2 months and will be testing the waters starting today. You're really not going to lose much in the way of cardiovascular fitness in a couple of weeks, and what you do lose will come back very quickly.

Swimming, you can use a prop between your legs like professional swimmers train with (foam pull buoy). It workouts arms, and it is cardio without putting resistance on your legs. Lookup Aqua PT exercises.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    It will really depend on your physiotherapist. This is a question for them, really. It depends on the knee injury and it’s severity.

For mine, I was recommended to take short 20min walks, 20min of a recline stationary bike, and 20min swims. But as you can see with all these different answers that doesn’t work for everyone, because it depends on the injury. I would try to be extra cautious until your physiotherapist can confirm or deny what you are able to do.