Terrified of Spin Class

Options
I just switched from a small 24 hour gym to a YMCA mainly because the Y has group classes and is cheaper. I would like to take a spin class but I've never been to one before. The gym has one short beginner class a week but I can't go due to my work schedule. How difficult is it to go into a spin class completely cold? Especially for someone overweight and not exactly in peak cardiovascular shape?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Yep^^

I started at the back row, to get a feel of the class. It is addicting. Have fun.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    As with any class, talk to the Instructor, tell them your concerns, and ask for tips or modifications. You could go observe one class before participating if that might help you feel better. You could ask if the instructor could call you to answer some questions.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Spin is actually a great beginner class because you are in total control of the speed and the resistance. The instructor will set the type of ride. You'll hear things like "pick up the cadence, lower the resistance" and "stay in the saddle" (stay seated) or "get out of the saddle." (ride standing up) When they say "pick up the cadence/pace" it just means pedal faster, whatever that means for you. Same with the resistance.

Bring a towel and a water bottle with a squirt cap so you don't have to untwist anything. Have fun!
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I just switched from a small 24 hour gym to a YMCA mainly because the Y has group classes and is cheaper. I would like to take a spin class but I've never been to one before. The gym has one short beginner class a week but I can't go due to my work schedule. How difficult is it to go into a spin class completely cold? Especially for someone overweight and not exactly in peak cardiovascular shape?

Hi @happytree923

I do 3/4 spins per week at SoulCycle here in NYC - it’s my thing! I really love it. You’re in total control of your speed and resistance. Go slow while you get the feel of it the first few classes. You’ll pick it up in no time. When i started I was 40 lbs heavier and I had never gone to a spin class before. I found a few instructors that i really like and it’s been great. Keep us updated!
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Build up to it, take it slow and then you will love it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    I went this morning and I loved it! The instructor was super friendly and came up to ask if I was new as soon as I went in. She helped me adjust the bike and said to modify as much as I need and that it was ok to leave at the 30 minute mark if I felt like I had enough at that point. I ended up staying the whole hour and will definitely be back. Thanks everyone!

Yay! And thanks for checking back in to let us know how it went - really happy for you! :)
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Yay! Thanks for the update.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I won't like, spin class is brutal. For me, anyway. I just saw your update and it sounds like you did exactly what I was about to recommend which is, introduce yourself to the instructor and let her (or him) know you are new. They'll hook you up and watch out for you!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I love spin. It is a really great workout that does not put a lot of stress on your body.
    As has been said: If you are nervous, take a bike in the back. You can stop when you need. There is no shame in that. You'll get better.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    I went this morning and I loved it! The instructor was super friendly and came up to ask if I was new as soon as I went in. She helped me adjust the bike and said to modify as much as I need and that it was ok to leave at the 30 minute mark if I felt like I had enough at that point. I ended up staying the whole hour and will definitely be back. Thanks everyone!

That's awesome!!! What a great feeling. It's so good to have some kind of fitness activity that you really enjoy, and if being part of a class works, even more fun! You guys are making me wish my gym had a spin class. But no...

Is Soul Cycle anything like Amy Schumer's class in that movie "I Feel Pretty"? :hushed:
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    jondspen wrote: »
    Title is click bait. I came here thinking she was going to share a story of fright and mayhem in the class....like a crazed clown came in and started exercising everyone to death.

Crazed Clown Spin Class is only available on Thursday mornings.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

Good stuff.

Keep up the great work!

.... don't get cocky.
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    @happytree923 congratulations for stepping out of your comfort zone, asking for help and taking a risk. I love spin too and am so glad you had a good experience.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options

That's awesome!!! What a great feeling. It's so good to have some kind of fitness activity that you really enjoy, and if being part of a class works, even more fun! You guys are making me wish my gym had a spin class. But no...

Is Soul Cycle anything like Amy Schumer's class in that movie "I Feel Pretty"? :hushed:

I haven’t seen that movie - but now I am intrigued! :)
  • lucycaz
    lucycaz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am on my second go round losing weight - Spin is great it was the first class I went back to and even at 260lbs I can make it through a whole class - the trick is you sent your own resistance and speed so you are working to push yourself - I fit 2 to 3 classes in a week on top of my other exercise - you will need a towel and water, I also find cycling gloves help as my hands get sweaty and slide - give it a go I am sure you will be a convert