What do you want people to know about food?

Options
I love food and think it’s interesting, delicious and important. It’s important we realise what we’re eating, why we’re eating it and what it’s doing to us.
There is so much chatter now about ‘good’ and ‘bad’ foods.
Let’s cut to the chase - what foods do you value? What do you enjoy? What are your family recipes? Are you vegan or vegetarian?
In short, what do you want people to know about food?

Replies

• svlofthouse
    svlofthouse Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    @kommodevaran yes 😍
    I love that! I wish more people felt the same way.
    For example, I’d love it if we could all get over the fear of fats that has been cultivated by the media. If enjoyed in moderation (or as part of a carefully-planned Keto diet) there’s nothing to fear: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/health-benefits-avocado
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I sense that you still have reservations - if you eat enough fat (and not too many calories) you end up eating ketogenic. There is nothing wrong with fat from other sources than avocado (it's man made trans fat you should be avoiding); in my opinion, balance and variety is what characterizes a healthy diet.
    And a healthy diet is nothing unless it's accompanied by a healthy relationship with food. I like the MFP saying "anything in moderation, including moderation".
  • svlofthouse
    Options
    I sense that you still have reservations - if you eat enough fat (and not too many calories) you end up eating ketogenic. There is nothing wrong with fat from other sources than avocado (it's man made trans fat you should be avoiding); in my opinion, balance and variety is what characterizes a healthy diet.
    And a healthy diet is nothing unless it's accompanied by a healthy relationship with food. I like the MFP saying "anything in moderation, including moderation".

I love that thank you so much! Fostering a healthy relationship with food is hard, but I think I’m getting there. What do you do to help you achieve this positive mindset?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

I love that thank you so much! Fostering a healthy relationship with food is hard, but I think I’m getting there. What do you do to help you achieve this positive mindset?

I try to accept that I make mistakes, but at the same time aim to avoid making the same mistakes over and over again.

Right now I'm focusing on flexibility. It's fun, but also hard, to try new things because we like what we're used to - but we're also used to what we like and there are so many opportunities out there, and they can all be equally good.

And trying to avoid perfectionism. It's hard to not plan in detail, because it's so satisfying to see a beautifully lined up plan and knowing that I can do it - but I also know that I will forget, or have missed something, or things I can't control, just happen, so the plan can rarely be executed just like I imagined. Finding the balance is difficult - the plan is my servant, I am the one who decides, but I have decided on this plan, so not following through means I've wasted time and effort - and sadly - usually just to stuff myself with some random snacks.
  • stephaniezinone
    stephaniezinone Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don’t want to derail your thread OP, but has Kommodevaran been bannned?!? So, so wrong! She is one of the most insightful posters on here. If you’re reading this Kommo your writing/ideas have been such a joy to read, thank you.

So wrong.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I love food and think it’s interesting, delicious and important. It’s important we realise what we’re eating, why we’re eating it and what it’s doing to us.
    There is so much chatter now about ‘good’ and ‘bad’ foods.
    Let’s cut to the chase - what foods do you value? What do you enjoy? What are your family recipes? Are you vegan or vegetarian?
    In short, what do you want people to know about food?

I've found that as I have gotten older I care less about the appearance of my food. I feel that taste, satisfaction and cost is more important to me than food that has been arranged just so or perfect looking produce.
    I like soup a lot.
    I like salty or cheesy foods. I can leave desserts alone.
    I don't really cook like my parents. I've come to realize my mom probably did not like cooking like I do. My dad is a person who does not follow recipes, make shopping lists or plan meals. My parents did not really try new foods much. I am pretty opposite.
    There are many common foods I did not eat growing up. I did not have an avocado until I was an adult for example.

I think shopping for food, preparing food, and eating food is worth spending some time and effort on. It is not bad to eat at restaurants or use convenience foods. I value the time I spend on food though.

I feel that people should eat food they like and look at their whole diet meeting their nutritional needs rather than get hung up on labels or a list of food if they do not have a medical condition requiring them to follow a specific diet. I think it is helpful/realistic to eat food that is common to your area of the world.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Food is a fuel that will help determine your health.
  • svlofthouse
    Options
    I don’t want to derail your thread OP, but has Kommodevaran been bannned?!? So, so wrong! She is one of the most insightful posters on here. If you’re reading this Kommo your writing/ideas have been such a joy to read, thank you.

So wrong.

No don’t worry! Go ahead and derail it! I’ve not seen any of her posts, what sort of things about it?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

So wrong.

mods recently cleaned up a thread she posted in, she must have got another warning.
  • svlofthouse
    Options
    @sarahbums those tips are amazing - I love the last one especially 😇
    If any more strike you, I’m sure we’d all love to read them
  • svlofthouse
    Options
    @Lounmoun it’s really nice to hear those things; it’s especially interesting to hear about the differences between you and your parents. Peoples’ relationships with food do change over lifetimes and generations.
    ‘Eat food they like’ yesssss 😍
    Which foods/recipes do you like and spend time prepping and enjoying?
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    sarahbums wrote: »
    Don't force your preferences on other people who think & eat differently.
    It is refreshing to see a youngin' think that way.

Edit: It is nice to see anyone think that way.
  • MushroomLadyJR
    MushroomLadyJR Posts: 89 Member
    Options

So wrong.

mods recently cleaned up a thread she posted in, she must have got another warning.

That's awful if true! I enjoy reading these forums but I'm getting tired of all of these knowledgeable posters being banned.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    That's eating Poptarts without "frosting" makes you a Communist.