130.6-132.2?

Options
No I don’t only rely on the scale however a question, yes it seems like a silly question because let’s be real, no questions asked are dumb 🙄 but can you really not be the lower number on the scale? Could you just maybe of lost a lot of water weight that morning and you weigh less but once you ate more carbs or whatever and you weigh yourself your really the weight you are? Two days later. Does that make sense.....

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

Our weight fluctuates, I can go up and down even at maintenance by up to 5lbs in a day.
    Look at the trend of your weight over a period of weeks and months rather than day to day.

What do you mean 'can you not be a lower number on the scale'? - of course you can, anyone can be a lower number if they consistently eat at calorie deficit for a period of time.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Weight is as much about the water, food, and waste in your system as it is about fat and muscle. The scale is showing a snapshot in time and nothing more. If you weigh 132.2 today then that's what you weigh, and if you weigh 130.6 tomorrow, then that's what you weigh. It's variable and always will be.

I'm in maintenance and view my weight as a range. As long as I stay within five pounds, I'm fine.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    weight fluctuates daily. I've been fascinated by this since i started weighing myself daily and started using a app to log daily weights and figure out trends. it's really interesting how it bounces around. up down, up down, up down, then finally bam a bit of a drop. then again up down up down up down up down, finally a bit of a drop.

also fluctuates based on time of day. so keep that in mind if you do not weigh yourself at approximately the same time every day. I can have a range of 2-5pds within a given day.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    I figure I don't have a "true weight", just a current weight range and a long term trend.

Over the course of the day, or few days, my weight bounces around within a few pounds, depending on whether I just ate, drank, worked out, ate more carbs or sodium than usual, etc. That's no big deal - normal, healthy. It's mostly about water retention or digestive system contents changes, nothing I need to worry about. That's my current weight range.

Over weeks to months, that range will tend to be lower, higher, or more or less consistent. That's my long term weight trend - weight loss, gain or maintenance. That's more about stored body fat, which is what I really care about.

Weight loss, with individual weigh-ins graphed out, looks like a jagged, bumpy downhill slope; gaining, the jaggedy bumps head uphill; maintaining, they stay overall kinda horizontal.

That's just how body weight works, in a healthy body. There's no point in worrying or stressing about minor fluctuations. It you have weight management goals, watch the long term trend: It's what matters.

A weight trending app (Happy Scale for iOS, Libra for Android, Trendweight) can help you visualize the trend, once you have a few weeks data in it.