Logging FAIL - We all Make Mistakes

Options
Panini911
Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
edited October 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I guess this is to encourage newer members to review their logging habits when they hit snags, because even those of us who've been logging a long time make errors! It's always worth reviewing logging accuracy when things are not moving in the right direction.

I was looking for a "healthier" dessert to make. I went thru my logs from when I lost 100lbs 3ish years ago and found my favorite PB+choco bar listed in recipes. it wasn't GREAT but the cals per portion were...something I could fit in on some days. So I went ahead and made them.

As I re-logged the recipe the calorie per portion was completely different (an extra 100 calories at least per piece!) I noticed that as i entered the items it had made an error in it's suggestion for the PB, and sure enough, in the recipe I had logged 3 years ago I had accepted and logged the suggested 2 tablespoon of PB. Instead of 12 or whatever the correct number was :o

Oops! Logged it correctly, had a laugh (I successfully lost the weight all those years ago so no harm done) but goes to show how easy errors happen. I had to cut my recipe into smaller pieces and will either bring it to work or to a friend's place to unload the bulk of what I made ;) As good as they are, 150 calories for what is pretty much one bite - not worth it most days.

I've posted before about errors I've made with chicken breast and salmon. Both i was eating at least 1.5x what I was logging (one portion of salmon is stupid small!!). It's only as I try to be very tight on logging to find maintenance that I am finding these things.

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    My biggest complaint with with recipe builder is it doesn't seem to suggest good (accurate) matches when importing recipes. I wish it would pull from my frequent/recent list of vetted foods before ranging out into the wild West of MFP random entries.

We've all made logging mistakes. Which is why so many of us suggest checking and tightening logging to users who post that they are struggling. Not trying to offend them or imply they are stupid - just speaking from experience.

and that's the reason for posting this :) Even those of us that have been successful and at it for years, STILL make errors! no one is perfect at logging.

That is what happened in the recipe, I entered 16 tablespoons of peanut butter (since 1 cup wasn't an option and I calculated it by weight) and it suggested like 4 but i Didn't notice the first time years ago. It did the same this weekend but I caught it and corrected it (thus leading to the HUGE discrepancy!).

recipe building is nice but definitely has it's...quirks. I often have to correct at least half the items.