Part-time desk job / activity level advice

Options
Hello All,

I am starting a new part time job this week and it is a front desk sitting job. It will only be three days a week but on those days, I will only be active for my 1.15 hour am workout and possibly a walk in the evening. On my off days, I will still be very active. (20k steps) Should I set my profile to sedatary due to my desk job days?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Are you using fitbit or something that sends your activity to MFP? If so, yes, set yourself to sedentary and let FB do its thing. If not, you can log your activity manually.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job but go to the gym a few times a week and regularly go on long walks. My activity level is set to Sedentary - and then I manually log any exercise I do, including the walk to and from the station at either end of my commute. That way it doesn't matter if I go to the gym once or five times in a week as I know whatever I do will be logged. The flip-side to that is a question over accuracy of calories awarded for such exercise, so I eat half to three quarters of what MFP allows.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I think I would prefer to log my 20k steps manually (or an activity tracker) and set it to sedentiary. Thus way I can log my exact expenditure on the active days instead of leaving it for an average estimate.

• thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    You could also send to lightly active, have your activity tracker synced if you have one, and set the negative calorie adjustment on MFP. This means MFP will adjust for you in either direction.
  • Neckita
    Neckita Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    skram01 wrote: »
    You could also send to lightly active, have your activity tracker synced if you have one, and set the negative calorie adjustment on MFP. This means MFP will adjust for you in either direction.

I tried this (also desk job and sedentary, but hitting the gym). What I found is the days I wasn't active and calories were taken away from me bothered me. I understand it is all in my head, and the net effect is the same, but I liked getting the extra calories on days I did do stuff as opposed to having them taken away when I didn't.

Others will look at it differently. I found it demotivating so set mine back to sedentary.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter which level you choose if you have a tracker linked it will sync and work out your calories for you.
    Its a matter of preference. Make sure you check the 'enable negative adjustments' box in settings.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,658 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    skram01 wrote: »

I tried this (also desk job and sedentary, but hitting the gym). What I found is the days I wasn't active and calories were taken away from me bothered me. I understand it is all in my head, and the net effect is the same, but I liked getting the extra calories on days I did do stuff as opposed to having them taken away when I didn't.

Others will look at it differently. I found it demotivating so set mine back to sedentary.

On the other hand to me seeing the negatives means: get the **puppy** off your **kitten** right *babysloth* now!!!