Jogging/running or floor excercises for weight loss?

Options
Which is more effective?

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    A calorie deficit. Exercise plays a small part, but you won’t lose weight on exercise alone unless you’re in a calorie deficit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit

Running will create a larger deficit, in theory
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Exercise doesn't default to weight loss...if it did, everyone running or cycling or whatever for their fitness and health would ultimately wither away...
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit, running burns a lot of calories. Not sure exactly what you mean by floor exercises, but running usually burns the most for me.
  • SaritaJack
    SaritaJack Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    When I was “running” it was a little more like a chubby girl HIIT, because I was lightly jogging with bursts of everything I had in between (which, to be honest, wasn’t much at that time). It was a good way to burn calories and help me maintain a calorie deficit.
    Body weight floor exercises are over with faster for me (which is a plus since it’s a battle to carve out the time), and help me feel stronger and more equipped to press on in my goal of a healthy body. However they don’t seem to burn many calories each time, so they’re more of a very slow and steady help than a calorie-blasting punch in fat’s face. I’m hoping that building muscle will help my poor, stretched out skin as I lose weight.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    They are all equally ineffective for weight loss.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    If you aren't in a calorie deficit it doesn't matter. The adage "You can't out run a bad diet" is true.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Unless you are in a calorie deficit, exercise will not make you lose weight.

They also both have their own benefits: (Body) Weight training when losing weight helps preserve muscle. Running has cardiovascular benefits. So comparing the two is like comparing apples with pears.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit

Until you give into the runger. :)
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit

Until you give into the runger. :)

And the runger is real.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    You could do all those things and still not lose a pound.

Weight loss comes from a Calorie deficit.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Do what you like..... seriously..... which one appeals to you more?

That's the one you'll end up sticking to.

Personally - I found it easier to stay committed to my calorie goal when I exercised along with it.