hunger keeping me awake :(

Options
I have recently become really frustrated because, despite the fact that I am eating a substantial (like 500-600 cal) dinner most nights, I am being literally woken in the middle of the night due to hunger. Either this or I will find it impossible to fall asleep in the first place and be lying awake for what feels like hours. This is becoming a massive issue because I am a uni student and I have to get up early for lectures most mornings. I am currently trying to eat around 1400 cals per day to compensate for some serious overindulgence during the summer (I gained back around 7 of the 40 pounds I had lost :'( ), and I can't think of any way I could cut out calories during the day in order to have a snack before bed. I feel like I'm already eating the bare minimum to stop myself being too starving to concentrate on anything during the day. Basically I'm just hungry...like all the time :| does anyone else have this problem? (sorry I just felt the need to vent)

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    If you are truly that hungry, add 1-200 calories for an evening snack. What kind of deficit are you running at 1400 cal/day? Are you exercising and if so are you eating any of those calories back?
  • shw112
    shw112 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    If you are truly that hungry, add 1-200 calories for an evening snack. What kind of deficit are you running at 1400 cal/day? Are you exercising and if so are you eating any of those calories back?

On a typical day I will usually walk for about an hour and a half/ two hours just getting around. I don't eat those calories back but on the days where I go to the gym (about 3-4 times per week) I usually eat the workout calories back. To be honest I might take your advice and just start adding in a small snack before bed anyway, if it slows down my progress a bit I might just have to accept that :/
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    shw112 wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »

On a typical day I will usually walk for about an hour and a half/ two hours just getting around. I don't eat those calories back but on the days where I go to the gym (about 3-4 times per week) I usually eat the workout calories back. To be honest I might take your advice and just start adding in a small snack before bed anyway, if it slows down my progress a bit I might just have to accept that :/

That lack of sleep can mess with your hormones too, which can impact weight loss. Not to mention the difficulties with concentrating, learning, and studying. Personally, I would have the snack and just let it be what it will be.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I do this, especially on days when I had a heavy workout. I take a banana up to bed with me , so I've got something to eat if I wake up hungry
  • Westcoastgirl99
    Westcoastgirl99 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting article on how what you eat and when can affect your sleep: https://www.nbcnews.com/better/health/how-what-you-eat-affects-how-you-sleep-ncna805256
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    eat carbs before bed.

now, other than that, if you're waking up hungry then you are likely at a too aggressive deficit. Just add some calories. Better off slow and steady loss than fast loss but being hungry AF and therefore more prone to bingeing.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    i am not a breakfast person or a hungry sleeper, so... I skip breakfast, eat about 350 call lunch at 11:30, eat about 500 cal dinner, burn 700 cal exercising, then eat 800 cal before bed. It is healthy snacking. My diary is open. It is working for me
  • CCgal2018
    CCgal2018 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I stopped feeling hungry at night when I made sure to hit my protein macros for the day. I do this by eating protein with every meal plus a double scoop protein shake with my post workout or pre bed snack. I use unsweetened almond milk and add a little cocoa powder and peanut butter to make it taste like a chocolate treat.
  • divalynnea
    divalynnea Posts: 4 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Your body will freak out if it thinks its starving and sacrafice sleep to get nutrition. Gaining a few pounds over the summer can't be worth this much stress, and stress can cause your body to retain fluids of seek more calories. If your calorie budget is 1400 a day, you have to be close to your goal weight anyway. Eat something small and satiating before bed and get some rest!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    eat vegetable soup, or any kind of vegetables ...or a half or cup of berries along with hard boiled egg white or two. Very very low in calories but will fill your stomach so you can sleep. I use egg whites all the time as an appetite suppressant. they work!
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If I feel "hungry" late at night I first try to remember if I drank enough during the day and / or if I am thirsty. Sometimes I have a very early dinner - then some cheese or a boiled egg does the trick for me.
  • shw112
    shw112 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the advice guys! I will definitely start just having a small snack before bed (and I might try the protein thing) 😌😌
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    A small packet of tuna is my go-to. 100 cal 18 gram of protein. All for just $1, which may be important on a student budget. Stops hunger beautifully.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!!!!!