Remind me why it's better to lose weight slowly. Frustrated.

Options
My husband and I have been losing weight together for a month.
I've lost 9 pounds this month (its probably more like 5 pounds, because my starting weight was right after an all inclusive vacation so I'm sure I was holding onto some water weight) and he's lost 20!
Everyone is telling him how good he looks and no one has even noticed my loss. I was even told today, "Why aren't you trying to lose weight like your husband?" Bish! I am! I'm trying to do it slowly because I want to conserve muscle and I really really really really like eating.
Ughhhhhh.

Just frustrated.
Thanks for letting me vent.

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    if I eat too little for too long I end up bingeing. So i'd rather lose slowly (and by slowly i'm talking 500grams per week if that) but at least not be starving.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Does no one else hold onto excess water weight after an all-you-can-eat-and-drink vacation? I do alllll the time. I didn't weigh myself before the vacation but I weighed myself after because I knew it would feel good to watch the scale go down easily hahaha.
    I'm aiming to lose a little more than a pound a week until I get to my last 20. Then a pound a week. Then for the last 10 I want to lose .5 pounds a week.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    9 pounds is a very rapid rate of loss unless you started at over 200 lbs. Losing weight very rapidly takes a toll on your muscles and your hair - you won't see the hair loss for months until after it's too late to save it.

This. I lost too quickly and I started losing hair by the handful- I had to cut it to a bob and I had hip length hair! It’s likely because my iron levels got a teensy bit low for a long time. Trying to even just slow the hair loss down is hard.

Also you said the best one - conserving muscle!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    don't compare your loss to any man's and not hubby.... they always lose faster. ..and don't hinge your motivation and drive on the thoughtless comments of other people. You will fail if you do these things.

You'v e done a great job.. five or nine pounds in a month is just fine. Keep moving ahead with your goals. You're going to look amazing...I've lost 40 pounds and only a few ;people have said something. People are weird.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Does no one else hold onto excess water weight after an all-you-can-eat-and-drink vacation? I do alllll the time. I didn't weigh myself before the vacation but I weighed myself after because I knew it would feel good to watch the scale go down easily hahaha.
    I'm aiming to lose a little more than a pound a week until I get to my last 20. Then a pound a week. Then for the last 10 I want to lose .5 pounds a week.

I hold onto excess water weight for more than a week after a return from cruises - starts off at around 8-9lbs in the first few days, dwindles to 2lbs around day 7 and then by day 14 I'm back at my usual weight.

Your aim of 1lb a week is a healthy aim. Don't compare yourself to others, and especially not your hubby, men do seem to lose at a quicker rate - sods! LOL

Keep up the good work! :smile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

yep, i gained 5lbs last all inclusive...
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I was even told today, "Why aren't you trying to lose weight like your husband?" Just frustrated.

Perhaps the easiest, fastest healthiest weight loss you could do would be to jettison this a-hole from your life.

You will have much more success if you are comfortable in your own skin, focusing in what you need to do for your body and enjoying the process. And you can. Enjoy losing weight. The quick approach you mention requires a lot more sacrifice and frustration. Learning about yourself, how you can better manage your intake while being happy, and savoring your successes make the process much more satisfying.

But, still not always easy.

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I hear you. Yes some of that was probably water but you lost fat too! Congrats on that. Take your time. Believe me it's better in the long run. You are more likely to maintain, you protect muscle and you will learn some new things. Trust me. It took me 2 years to lose all mine but I'm maintaining now for the first time in my life. Your hubby is male and they lose faster and I'm sure he had some water retention as well; also how much does he have to lose? And the big question is will he keep it off? Hang in there even at 5 pounds a month you are losing at a healthy and maintainable rate. Keep going.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Such great support and ideas!!!!!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,718 Member
    Options
    I've lost 9 pounds this month (its probably more like 5 pounds, because my starting weight was right after an all inclusive vacation so I'm sure I was holding onto some water weight) and he's lost 20!
    Everyone is telling him how good he looks and no one has even noticed my loss. I was even told today, "Why aren't you trying to lose weight like your husband?" Bish! I am! I'm trying to do it slowly because I want to conserve muscle and I really really really really like eating.
    Ughhhhhh.

Just frustrated.

This is BEYOND unacceptable! There's no way I would've let this comment slide and I certainly wouldn't let it get to me. What a completely insensitive and idiotic thing to say.

Great advice from everyone else already: just keep doing what you're doing. Be consistent. It will pay off.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Ughhhhhh.

Just frustrated.

This is BEYOND unacceptable! There's no way I would've let this comment slide and I certainly wouldn't let it get to me. What a completely insensitive and idiotic thing to say.

Great advice from everyone else already: just keep doing what you're doing. Be consistent. It will pay off.

Yeah... it was my mom who said it... She's always said snide comments about my weight. I can usually ignore them but this time it hurt because I HAVE lost weight but it's not showing yet because I'm purposely going slow.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Ughhhhhh.

Just frustrated.

Yeah... it was my mom who said it... She's always said snide comments about my weight. I can usually ignore them but this time it hurt because I HAVE lost weight but it's not showing yet because I'm purposely going slow.

Do you and your husband have exactly the same amount of weight to lose?
  • Asher_Ethan
    Options
    Ughhhhhh.

Just frustrated.

Actually, yes (I didn't realize this until just now hahaha)
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Ughhhhhh.

Just frustrated.

Which is how much? Losing 20lbs in a month is far too fast unless you have over 100lbs to lose.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Options
    Ughhhhhh.

Just frustrated.

Which is how much? Losing 20lbs in a month is far too fast unless you have over 100lbs to lose.

40 pounds. (He started at 220 I started at 190) I keep trying to tell him that! But he won't listen! And everyone telling him how good he looks isn't helping!