Tips for increasing running pace

Options
2»

Replies

• SaraC1977
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips! I guess I will just stop worrying about pace and go back to mileage again. For those who asked, I run about 4 x's a week at 2-4 miles each time. So I may run 2, then 3, then 3 and then 4 or some variation. It really depends how I'm feeling. If it's a nice cool night, I try to push it to 4 miles. If it's a hot and humid Saturday afternoon, I will probably just do 2 miles.

I may also walk or bike on non-running days and that's about it. I will try to up it to either: an extra day of running for 3 miles or perhaps keeping the 4 days and increase the mileage to at least 3-4 miles each time. If I get really tired after 3 miles, I will simply slow down.

Thanks, again.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Sprints/ladder training is crucial in increasing speed.

Take at least one day a week, don't focus on distance, just sprinting followed by short rests.

For a newer runner, this is simply wrong.

Agreed. Newer runners don't have the base to support the speed work. Volume is the key. Run more easy, conversational pace miles
  • SaraC1977
    Options
    You don't need sprints, intervals, ladder training, or anything of the sorts at this point. Run more, mostly slow, sometimes fast. When you get tired of that, run more, mostly slow, sometimes fast. It may not sound fancy but it doesn't need to be. I used to run 11-12 minute miles and now run 8-9 minute miles simply by building a base and being consistent in my running.

That's inpirational! Thanks
  • DavidHusky
    DavidHusky Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    agree with all the increase volume advice. I'm a new runner (started around feb this year) and my first race ever was a 10K in july. I found myself running around 12-13 minute mile pace for longer runs, but was running at ~20-25 miles a week and ended up running the 10K at around 9:15 pace (fastest tempo run was 10:00 for 4 miles up to that point) and my pace was pretty consistent with no more than 15-20 second difference mile to mile. Now I'm training for a half and am up to 11 min/mile comfortably for 11 miles (now my legs get tired before I'm out of breath). Some advice that helped me with long slow runs "if you don't think you're going to slow, you're probably going too fast"
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Some advice that helped me with long slow runs "if you don't think you're going to slow, you're probably going too fast"

Don't necessarily agree with this. The long run shouldn't be slower than your easy run pace. If you have to slow down to get through the longer distance, than you are running your shorter, easy runs too fast!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Run 4 times a week.

Consistent weekly mileage between 20 and 30 miles.

Once a week run more than 90 minutes. 2 hrs is better.

Keep the pace easy. Once a week run a little bit faster if you want (fartleks).

Periodically do a race or time trial to measure progress.

Once you stop getting better doing this then it's time to make some changes like formal speedwork, more running, higher mileage. However, you will keep getting better with what I wrote above for a while.
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    There's a ton of great advice in this thread.

One thing I did that I helped me was to mix in some shorter runs occasionally - and just run them faster (so you could do 1.5 or two miles - but quickly). This made my "normal" pace feel a lot more comfortable on the longer runs.
  • MommyisFit
    MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I started running 3 weeks ago to train for a 4k on Labor Day - so I appreciate the advice on this thread. What really worked for me in this time has been HIIT training. Switching between walking/jogging for a couple minutes, then giving it all I got for as long as I can - and keep alternating. I do this about 3 times a week and the 4th time I run I just jog the whole time. In 3 weeks I have gone from 32 minutes to 24 minutes on my 2.5 mile time.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Like several other people have said, pace improvement over distance comes with increased miles, not simply pushing a faster pace over more miles as you're running them.

What I do is have days where I focus on longer, slower miles, and then days where I'll push my speed, or work things like hills (I prefer hills over speed, to be honest, because I just don't come by enjoying running THAT fast.) I also go by effort, rather than simply pace, because that will tell me more accurately where I want to be, and I don't have to get caught up in numbers, because it's distracting me from listening to my body. I actually very rarely keep a pace time when I'm running, and instead focus on what's around me, and what my body is telling. me.

For instance, longer days, I aim for a pace where I could talk or sing along with my music. Yes, I'm breathing harder than if I were walking, but I'm not gasping, and could carry on a decent conversation if I wanted to. (Not that I do, since I run alone.) It allows you to add 1-2 more miles per run, which allows you to get a better aerobic endurance base to build upon.

For the speedier days, I'll aim to push the pace a bit past that comfort zone, but for fewer miles. You can do increments where you pick up the pace for a certain amount of time (say 1-3 minutes you push to a pace where you really couldn't carry on a conversation, but you don't feel the urge to stop and grasp your knees to catch your breath, and then 3-5 minutes a slower pace where you're closer to being able to talk). You can also just aim for fewer miles on those days, but keep a consistent feel with effort, like run 2 miles at a pace that feels like it's pushing you to breathe too fast to talk, but not fast enough where you're doubled over.

You can also work sprints. We did sprint work in cross-country in high school, though I hated it. We just did sets on a track where we'd sprint all-out for a certain distance (whatever the coach felt like doing that day), then either walk or jog as a recovery for a distance before sprinting again.

Really, the key is mixing things up. Slow runs, faster runs, sprints, hills, and varied types of terrains all help encourage your body to become more efficient, and you'll gradually get faster as a result.