Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Fed up of gym what now?

Joined gym in Jan. Loved it. Started building classes made friends etc. Ended up doing 12 classes a week including body pump, crossfit, yoga, Pilates, boxercise etc. I've lost 21 inches and 10lb. Recently I've started getting really fed up and can't be bothered go I've got no idea why. I'm just not getting same buzz.

I have got home gym, dvds and thinking about getting beach body on demand. I've also started IF.

Don't know what to do.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    what do you want to do?

run, walk,swim, whatever...

have a week off exercise and then decide?
  • von66mfp
    von66mfp Posts: 22 Member
    Had last week off completely but still not feeling enthusiastic about going. Did pump class on Saturday as my daughter is training teach les mills but didn't enjoy it or felt I got anything from it.

Did 12 classes over 6 days doing 3 classes back to back twice a week.

Got pump again tonight I've pulled out of piyo but dreading it. Don't understand the complete turnaround.
  • jhilkene
    jhilkene Posts: 104 Member
    Sometimes I just get tired of the same routine, although yours seemed packed with variety!
    Perhaps you need a reset, and switch to something different?
  • von66mfp
    Thanks.

I walk everyday as I've got a dog so always do over 10k steps.

Feel as though I've hit a wall really. Not noticed any progress or changes for a while. I've still got weight to lose plus I want to be fitter. I'm just not sure if the classes will deliver the results I'm looking for and maybe that's why I'm fed up of going. Also I'm 52 and just started hrt.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,435 Member
    edited October 2018
    von66mfp wrote: »

Don't know what to do.

Go outside!!

Cycle, run, cross-country ski, snowshoe, hike up a mountain, go kayaking ...

• AgentFlex
    AgentFlex Posts: 211 Member
    I would definitely consider changing things up. I like the suggestion about getting outside. What are your goals? I personally used to enjoy some of the classes like body pump, etc. However, as I built strength I shifted to powerlifting training which is a challenge mentally and physically. I like the numbers game of chasing PR's and prefer that progress over aesthetics now.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Thanks.

I walk everyday as I've got a dog so always do over 10k steps.

Feel as though I've hit a wall really. Not noticed any progress or changes for a while. I've still got weight to lose plus I want to be fitter. I'm just not sure if the classes will deliver the results I'm looking for and maybe that's why I'm fed up of going. Also I'm 52 and just started hrt.

you need to define what 'fitter' means to you then? to be able to do a 50 minute 10k, to be able to squat your body weight, to be able to complete insanity...???

set some goals and work towards them!

weight loss is all about your calories, not exercise.

• von66mfp
    Yeah maybe I've lost motivation and need a different challenge.

When I first started it I had a cruise booked and wanted look better for that but I suppose since that's gone I need something else focus on.

Not certain what fitness levels I want I do enjoy weights more though. I've just started the IF to try and shift the pounds.
  • AgentFlex
    AgentFlex Posts: 211 Member
    Yeah maybe I've lost motivation and need a different challenge.

When I first started it I had a cruise booked and wanted look better for that but I suppose since that's gone I need something else focus on.

Not certain what fitness levels I want I do enjoy weights more though. I've just started the IF to try and shift the pounds.

I would suggest looking into a lifting program you can follow on your own at the gym or with a friend. I would suggest something for beginners even if you feel like you have a handle on weights from classes. It is a different animal when you start to go heavier. Form needs to be right before you move up the weight.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    I used to really enjoy bodypump. It was a great intro to strength training for me. I now take a great class called "women and weights" and it's so much better. I would never set foot in a bodypump class now. Those same tracks over and over are enough to drive anyone batty. I go to my new class and have no idea what the trainer has in store for us that day.

Perhaps look elsewhere to see what else there is?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I don’t have to get a buzz or feel enthusiastic to go to the gym or to workout at home. I do both because I’ve chosen to, it always makes me feel better, I know I benefit from it in many ways. Where I go depends on schedule and planned activity because I can swim only at the gym.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Sounds like you overdid it and got burned out. Take a break for a while, or at least cut back.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Get excited about a new thing! For me, I need variety. Start training yourself to run. Do HIIT routines from YouTube in your living room (I'm a fan of Fitness Blender; my wife used to live Tone It Up). I do enjoy a lot of strength-based HIIT routines that exhaust me in 15 or 30 minutes (maybe not true HIIT in all cases, but in the ballpark).
  • Zimm7
    Zimm7 Posts: 44 Member
    Agreed. Too much. Too soon. Go with the home gym. Always open, never crowded.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,041 Member
    Perhaps some sessions with a personal trainer would help you define some goals and/or set some more specific things to work on and improve. Classes are great, but by their nature tend to be a bit "cookie cutter." Maybe a shift in focus for awhile will help reset your motivation. I know I've been going through something similar myself here lately, but for me, trying classes is something different, so that's what I'm actually going with :)
  • von66mfp
    Thanks everyone.

I did go body pump last night but mainly because my daughter was team teaching as part of her training. I got through it better than Saturday but couple of members been over to me see if I was ok one said I'd lost my sparkle so there must be obvious change in my demeanour. I'm not in rest of week now.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    You need goals, specific goals to work towards. "Getting fit" is not specific enough. When you specify a goal you'll be able to set milestones towards it. Motivation is fickle, so you need structure and something to work towards when you're not motivated. Sporadically doing hundreds of classes lacks structure. After you decide your goals, narrow them down to the most important ones so you don't spread yourself thin, then decide which classes/activities will help you achieve them and do that.