Low fat vs. Low-No sugar

Options
Which products are better for weightloss. You normally have to choose either low fat or low-no sugar. So confused.

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Low sugar. Fat satiates you so you'll eat less plus it's essential. Less calories, more weight loss.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Eat smaller portions of the regular version. Tastes better. Low fat/low sugar foods don't cause you to lose weight, but a calorie deficit does.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Neither will help you. Low fat tends to just have more sugar, and are sometimes higher in calories. Low sugar tends to have artificial sweeteners (which aren't necessarily evil, but they also aren't good for you), and don't taste that great.

Eating less calories is what works. So eat your normal foods and enjoy them, but eat less of them.
  • vgreeve
    vgreeve Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have had the some debate with no great answer. His parents are diabetic so he is avoiding a lot of carbs and sugar and I am trying to use low fat versions and counting calories. But I don't like artificial sweeteners so we don't know which way to lean either!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Eat smaller portions of the regular version. Tastes better. Low fat/low sugar foods don't cause you to lose weight, but a calorie deficit does.
    This. The concern should be about portion control since that's why most people got fat in the first place.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Basically sugar free ups the fat (and is usually loaded with sweeteners or sugar alcohols), and fat free ups the sugar. I usually try to avoid these products and just fit the regular product into my day.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Neither.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Neither.
    Eat foods that don't have those versions would be best.
    Eating less of the normal fat/sugar version would be next best.