What is this rest muscle and how do you train it?

Options
I'm over due for a rest day. Yesterday, my lifts were a bit weaker than normal. I took today off from the gym, but I also worked landscaping for 3 hrs after school (auto) so I'm not sure it counts.

What do you guys do on rest days when you know you need them but don't really want to take one? I plan on taking tomorrow off from physical stuff completely as its been 8 days straight without a break.

Replies

• RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    I am missing reps...yesterday I went to do Dumbell OHPs (the first thing in my shoulder workout) and I struggled hard to put up 4 reps of the same weight I do for 6+ for 4 sets. If I didn't have a spotter it could have been bad...it was such a struggle I nixed my lifting workout completely and trained core instead. A big fail like that is a pretty good sign I need a rest.

I was more just trying to start a conversation on what people do on rest days, and how they're annoying to take when you really enjoy lifting or running or whatever your game is.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I like to catch up on sleep and maybe do some computer gaming if it doesn’t attract too much wife aggro. ;)

Rest days are important - but you can still incorporate physical activity you enjoy. I’d just stay away from heavy lifting and I try to take it easy with muscle groups I may have hit hard the previous day. No hard hikes after a brutal leg day. lol
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I like "active recovery days."

I lift 3x per week, but I'm pretty careful not to overdo it. I like the way lifting makes me look better, but I don't want it getting too much in the way of the stuff I love.

So, a bike ride where I keep it under 100 watts. A walk around the neighborhood. I get cabin fever pretty bad, so hanging out at home isn't really what I want to be doing.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I am missing reps...yesterday I went to do Dumbell OHPs (the first thing in my shoulder workout) and I struggled hard to put up 4 reps of the same weight I do for 6+ for 4 sets. If I didn't have a spotter it could have been bad...it was such a struggle I nixed my lifting workout completely and trained core instead. A big fail like that is a pretty good sign I need a rest.

I was more just trying to start a conversation on what people do on rest days, and how they're annoying to take when you really enjoy lifting or running or whatever your game is.

What program are you on? How many days per week do you lift? I agree it sounds like you need a rest. But in general if you program is pushing you so hard you are failing, it may not just be you need a rest but maybe need to reevaluate your routine. As I said, you don't need a dedicated rest day, but you also can't lift 7 days a week and expect to last either. I do activities that challenge other thing on my non lifting days. I do speed, mobility, flexibility, yoga, kickboxing etc, on non lifting days. Hiking is always good as well.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Some rest days I go for a hike, sometimes I do yoga or pilates, sometimes I ride the bike, sometimes I just walk the dog a couple of miles, sometimes I mow the yard or clean the house.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options

What program are you on? How many days per week do you lift? I agree it sounds like you need a rest. But in general if you program is pushing you so hard you are failing, it may not just be you need a rest but maybe need to reevaluate your routine. As I said, you don't need a dedicated rest day, but you also can't lift 7 days a week and expect to last either. I do activities that challenge other thing on my non lifting days. I do speed, mobility, flexibility, yoga, kickboxing etc, on non lifting days. Hiking is always good as well.

I'm on a training plan that I designed a long time ago that I had very good success with in the past. It's a 6 day split based on tracked week to week progressive overload, around 16-22 sets per workout plus 6-10 rounds of 30seconds work, 1 minute rest strongman type cardio (tire flips, drags, sledge hits etc) after the lifts. The split is

Day 1 - Chest
    Day 2 - Arms
    Day 3 - Core
    Day 4 - Shoulders
    Day 5 - Back + Some legs (deads and tire flips)
    Day 6 - Legs

I typically rest between day 3 and 4, but also allow myself a "floating" rest day that I can take if I'm just tired or starting to be a bit weaker on my lifts.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options

I remind myself that because I enjoy being active regularly that I have to give my body a break and let it recover. I like to get a massage (monthly) or go to the hot tub or sauna on rest days.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

I'm on a training plan that I designed a long time ago that I had very good success with in the past. It's a 6 day split based on tracked week to week progressive overload, around 16-22 sets per workout plus 6-10 rounds of 30seconds work, 1 minute rest strongman type cardio (tire flips, drags, sledge hits etc) after the lifts. The split is

Day 1 - Chest
    Day 2 - Arms
    Day 3 - Core
    Day 4 - Shoulders
    Day 6 - Legs

I typically rest between day 3 and 4, but also allow myself a "floating" rest day that I can take if I'm just tired or starting to be a bit weaker on my lifts.

With a split like that you should be getting plenty of recovery. Basically, it's a week between muscle groups with some crossover on some of the smaller ones that don't require as much recovery (chest incorporates tri's and front delts for most compounds, for example). I know you said you designed it - but it's the typical layout and what people call a "bro split". Anyhow, plenty of rest - maybe too much between groups to be optimal. If you want 6 days of work, have you thought about a PPL type split done twice in a week (Push Monday, Pull Tuesday, Legs Wednesday - rest day - Repeat)? It's a bit much for some to recover from but at least your hitting things twice a week instead of once. Even a Upper Lower split - but they are usually 4 days a week.

If you are having recovery issues with this kind of split I'd look at other aspects of your daily life that may be contributing. I doubt it's your lifting schedule.
  • mutantspicy
    Options

Day 1 - Chest
    Day 2 - Arms
    Day 3 - Core
    Day 4 - Shoulders
    Day 6 - Legs

6 days splits are not very popular for a reason. I would reconsider that. Instead of breaking your lifts up into individual muscles, consider a 4 or 5 split that focusses on Bigger groups of muscles and/or movement type. ie. Upper body / lower body splits or Push / Pull split. The split you are doing is generally the type of thing juicers would do, and of course the drugs give them better recovery. Also its ok definitely ok to do two leg days per week, but I wouldn't do them back to back. Just my thoughts.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    I am sticking to the once a week split because I am on a 1000 cal deficit at the moment so I figured it would be better with a longer recovery. The other split I like to use is Chest/tri, back/bi, shoulders/legs, rest & repeat but I figured that would be a bit too much for a 1000 cal deficit.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I hike. I love to hike. I also have a puppy who needs to burn off some energy daily so we all get enough sleep at night, so there is a minimum 2-3 miles on my list daily. A rest day from a scheduled workout would be about the same, unless I was faced with prefect weather and timing for one of my favourite 6-9mile trails.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I go watch my kids play soccer...walk the dog...go for an easy recreational bike ride. I'm currently not doing anything I would consider rigorous enough to need an actual rest day...I lift 3x per week currently with a push/pull split...beyond that, mostly riding my bike and I'm not training for anything in particular at the moment, so basically just cardiovascular fitness rides...so I do something most days unless I have other obligations that need my attention.

ETA: I'm sure your 1,000 calorie deficit has a lot to do with you not being able to progress.
  • mutantspicy
    Options
    I am sticking to the once a week split because I am on a 1000 cal deficit at the moment so I figured it would be better with a longer recovery. The other split I like to use is Chest/tri, back/bi, shoulders/legs, rest & repeat but I figured that would be a bit too much for a 1000 cal deficit.

1000 cal deficit is pretty large to try to make any gains.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I take a rest day when my body says I need it. I always regret when I don't. This doesn't mean being a couch potato, and may include walking or a light bike ride or easy swim. Lots of people like yoga and/or rolling/stretching.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    RealWorldStrengthLLC Posts: 552 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

I'm not expecting to gain much currently, just trying to maintain through a large cut. I used to be in very good shape. I quit lifting and eating right for about 2 years and went from 205 to 290. When I started lifting again, I did a semi-dirty bulk (all I cared to track was protien) and got my strength back and maybe a little past it. This put me at 301. Once I had my strength back, I went to a 1000 cal deficit and have been there since, currently sitting at 274. I have maintained for the most part so far, and even made some small gains. My goal is to get back to the range I used to be in (195-220)...I'm assuming as I get closer my deficit is going to have to shrink to 500 or so.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

I'm not expecting to gain much currently, just trying to maintain through a large cut. I used to be in very good shape. I quit lifting and eating right for about 2 years and went from 205 to 290. When I started lifting again, I did a semi-dirty bulk (all I cared to track was protien) and got my strength back and maybe a little past it. This put me at 301. Once I had my strength back, I went to a 1000 cal deficit and have been there since, currently sitting at 274. I have maintained for the most part so far, and even made some small gains. My goal is to get back to the range I used to be in (195-220)...I'm assuming as I get closer my deficit is going to have to shrink to 500 or so.

At a 1000 cal deficit you aren't gaining anything. You are losing fat and muscle. But at your current weight, losing fat is the priority.
  • 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I typically take a day every 2 weeks to just stretch, not exactly rest but makes me feel great.