2»

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    204to102 wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    You've lost 8 pounds in 5 weeks. Beyond ensuring you are tracking accurately, and thus really consuming the amount of calories you think you are not more, nothing needs to change.

If the 102 in your username is your goal weight, you should be aware that is underweight for someone 5'3.

I was going by this new BMI calculator. It's supposed to adjust for short (and tall) people better. Plus, I used to weigh 108 at my fittest (running daily and lifting heavy) and still had unwanted fat on my thighs and didn't look skinny.

I'm 5ft 5 and 137lbs, that BMI calculator told me I'm obese... utter rubbish.

Something is seriously wrong with that tool -- I'm 5'4 and 108 and according to that tool, I'm overweight. My ideal range is 69 to 93 pounds. It's either built incorrectly or is designed to appeal to the ED community.

OP, if you don't like how you look at 108, you should probably consider resistance training. It's probably going to be way more impactful for your happiness with your appearance than going into an unhealthy weight range will be.

I feel like the "smart BMI" tool is geared toward either those who want an excuse to get lower than is really healthy, or those who are outliers on the other side of the spectrum.

I also got odd results. At 5'4" -- not my precise height -- it told me I could go to 105.7. When I entered my precise height of 5'4.4", I magically got back 1.7 pounds. I have a hard time believing that that little .4 of an inch really carries that much weight.

At any rate, 5'3" isn't *short*. Considering that 5'4" is average, I wouldn't put a short label on anyone until they were 5'1" or even 5' and below.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    204to102 wrote: »
    Patience. Weightloss isn’t linear. Some weeks you will lose. Some weeks you will gain. And some weeks nothing will change. It’s normal. Look at your trend over time. Having only been at 204 for 2 weeks, I would hardly say you are stuck there.

So let’s do some math. If we count the first week you are averaging 1.6 lbs a week. If we don’t count that week, you are averaging 2lbs per week.

Recommended weight loss rates:
    National Institute of Health recommends losing 10% bodyweight over 6 months.

For sustainability:
    0.5 lb per week if you have less than 25lbs to lose
    1 lb per week if you have 25-50lbs to lose
    1.5 lb per week if you have 50-75lbs to lose
    2 lb per week if you have 75+ lbs to lose

No more than 1% bodyweight loss per week if you want mostly fat loss.

This is good info to know. I almost want to start weighing in just once a month to avoid seeing these weekly fluctuations.

A weight trending app can be very helpful to get your mind around the daily fluctuations. HappyScale, Libra, Trendweight are the three I know of.
  • somethingsoright
    somethingsoright Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Still no change in weight (or clothing fit). I have to keep coming back to this thread and re-reading all of your comments when frustration hits. Amazing how freaky fast I can put on weight, but it won't come off at even half that rate. I appreciate all of your advice so much!