ARM MUSCLE WEIRDESS.

Options
So, I have been working on my arms and I notice 2 things:
1)My right bicep is much more defined than my left
2)My biceps are coming along nicely but I still have alot of "back-of-arm-flab".

Tips?

Replies

• bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    One of the things that I am constantly doing is re-examining my workouts and results. I have the same issue. The first thing that I have noticed is that I tend to push more with my right side (right-side dominant). So, especially with machines, I make sure that I am putting equal, if not more force into my left arm. Also, with machines, the tension sometimes is on one side more than another (just keep in mind).

You also want to make sure that you are working your whole body. You don't just want to work chest and biceps (I have friends who have done this). You need triceps, upper and lower back, shoulders and core. All of these things counter-balance each other, so it can actually be dangerous to have crazy developed biceps and weak triceps. I know you did not say that you did this, but just putting it out there.

Lastly, the human body has a mind of its own when it comes to weight loss. Fat comes off in different places at different times and there is not much you can do about it. Generally, it all evens out. Since spot reduction is not a real thing, you just keep working and making sure you are getting all of the muscles. Just keep up the good work and you will be fine!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you have correct form when you are lifting? My boyfriend is my spotter at the gym and is constantly telling me that I am favouring my left arm so it isn't working as hard.

Are you doing tricep work?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    2)My biceps are coming along nicely but I still have alot of "back-of-arm-flab".

Tips?

You are more dominant on one side than the other. You can't spot reduce the flab, it just takes time and a calorie deficit.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    1. Switch over to dumbbells if you are using a machine or a bar. Dumbbells will make sure each arm is working independently and you can see if one is actually lagging and force it to work more. If you use machines or a bar then one arm could be overcompensating for lack of strength in the other but you may not notice it.

2. In the back of your arm, your tricep muscle actually takes up way more volume of your arm than your bicep does. Start focusing more on your triceps. It will help kill off that flabness as well as make your bicep look better.
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    for the flab, work your triceps, and as far as one bicep being bigger, that can happen with your dominant arm, just make sure to work your left arm just as hard as your right
  • sazzyanne14
    sazzyanne14 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above post.

Using free weights (dumbbells) instead of the machines will ensure that both arms are working equally with no favoritism.

Using free weights also helps your posture and stabilises the core of your body as balance is required.
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    1. Switch over to dumbbells if you are using a machine or a bar. Dumbbells will make sure each arm is working independently and you can see if one is actually lagging and force it to work more. If you use machines or a bar then one arm could be overcompensating for lack of strength in the other but you may not notice it.

2. In the back of your arm, your tricep muscle actually takes up way more volume of your arm than your bicep does. Start focusing more on your triceps. It will help kill off that flabness as well as make your bicep look better.

Sounds like a plan.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    There is no way to spot reduce "bingo wings" but working the tricep area will firm up the muscle underneath the flab giving a better look when the body finally decide to take the fat from there.

As many of the OP have said, its not uncommon to be one side dominant. well all have that prefer hand mainly the one write with, so if you're using machines, it could be that your dominate arm is doing more work without your realising it. Change over to dumbells this cause both arms to lift the same weight thus avoiding the dominate arm taking over.
  • SergeantG
    Options

Tips?

Work with dumbells...evenly on both sides....it will provide you with symetry (sp) becuase they are both using the same amount of weight...if you are using curl bars or other types of 'straight' bars, you will naturally compensate for your weaker arm/side, giving you an imbalanced look...