KETO diet?

Options
Hi all! So I’m 32, 5ft 3, and weigh 251 lbs..I have quite a bit to lose! I’m not too familiar with the KETO diet, but I’ve heard that it works really well to get the weight off. I’ve read some about it, but would like to know what daily calorie intake you have and what are some of your favorite KETO foods? Any suggestions or tips? Thanks!

Replies

• raindogmaa
    raindogmaa Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am same height and started at the same weight. I, too am curious about the KETO diet. Can't wait to hear what others say about it.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    AreneeS22 wrote: »
    Hi all! So I’m 32, 5ft 3, and weigh 251 lbs..I have quite a bit to lose! I’m not too familiar with the KETO diet, but I’ve heard that it works really well to get the weight off. I’ve read some about it, but would like to know what daily calorie intake you have and what are some of your favorite KETO foods? Any suggestions or tips? Thanks!

Your calories to lose weight will be the same as if you were eating any other way. It's based on your height and weight and activity level and how many lbs you choose to lose per week. MFP can do that for you.

I don't do keto because I do really well eating a fair amount of carbs, but others find limiting their carbs makes it easier to stick to their calorie goal, so for them it can work well. It's all about satiaty and appetite, and that can be different person to person.

You might want to just log the foods you normally eat for a few days to get a feel for where the carbs are coming from in your diet and what the best way to reduce them would be. And some people find it easier to reduce the carbs slowly over time until they reach keto levels, whereas others are fine just diving right in.

There are Keto and LCHF groups here that may have extra resources for you. Good luck!

^^^This. I found it very comfortable to just start doing small things to start. I cut out my toast or oatmeal for breakfast. Then cut out my lunch bread. I did this over a couple of weeks so it wasn't a big shock.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    JenMull44 wrote: »
    I am currently doing KETO and to be honest cutting bread is half the battle. Start by also cutting sugar down. This is really what will make or break you on this lifestyle. I have been on KETO for 7 weeks and have loss 21lbs. I was suffering from migraines and knew in order to fix this, I had to change my diet.
    I have not had a migraine in 7 weeks and I feel amazing.
    Do your research and join support groups, a good one is PUSH FOR YOUR BETTER on FB.

if you are cutting carbs you are essentially cutting sugar.carbs are sugar. but glad your migraines are doing better with keto
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I started keto over a year ago for migraines - it's like magic for many neurological issues.

As for weight loss, I was doing better on low carb. Weight loss is about whatever helps you eat less that you can sustain forever. In the long run sustainability is way more important than method.
  • rkratt1987
    rkratt1987 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is a really good resource for someone looking to start a ketogenic diet: https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/. Look in the sidebar..."where to start." It is a great, helpful community for keto dieters. I like to read through the posts sometimes for inspiration.
    I have been doing it (for the second time) for two weeks now and am feeling great.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I, too, suffered from migraines until I found keto. I started on July 24, 2018, and I have drastically reduced the number and severity of my migraines, and lost almost 25# to boot. I think even after I have gotten down to my goal size, I will likely stay away from refined sugars (I'll add back in things like beans, and complex carbs), because I believe it to be the cause of my inflammation.

I saw my doctor about a month beforehand, and read a lot of information online and from books in my library to see if this would benefit me, and what the likelihood of it harming me. I had my labs redrawn last week and I was pleasantly surprised to see an improvement in my numbers.

Some good books that I found helpful, and helped inform some questions for my doctor: Keto Clarity, Jimmy Moore; The Complete Ketogenic Diet for Beginners, Amy Ramos; The Art and Science of Low-Carb Living, Volek & Phinney; Low Carb-High Fat Revolution, Anfreas Eenfeldt. I also follow the Keto Diet Doctor, Dominic D'Agostino, Keto School, and KetoConnect on their blogs.
  • ODIN_AXEMURDER
    ODIN_AXEMURDER Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Also check your PPAR-alpha and see if you can handle all the fat without your numbers skyrocketing
  • ODIN_AXEMURDER
    ODIN_AXEMURDER Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    rkratt1987 wrote: »
    This is a really good resource for someone looking to start a ketogenic diet: https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/. Look in the sidebar..."where to start." It is a great, helpful community for keto dieters. I like to read through the posts sometimes for inspiration.
    I have been doing it (for the second time) for two weeks now and am feeling great.

/r/ketogains is also really good, even if you're just trying to lose weight.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    To me, keto is not primarily about weight-loss. It is more importantly about eating as cleanly as you can. No need to worry about sugar as this WOE is naturally low in sugar.

The Magic Pill on Netflix will open your eyes to what this way of eating is and how it can accomplish what it does.

You will naturally lose weight, a byproduct of this way of eating.

you dont naturally lose weigh unless you are in a deficit no matter if you eat keto or not

But can I be naturally in deficit? :-)

How would you define if a calorie deficit was "natural" or "unnatural"?

this exactly
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Also check your PPAR-alpha and see if you can handle all the fat without your numbers skyrocketing
    yeah because drs will test to see what your numbers are. doubtful