How do you deal with alcohol?

Options
I love drinking, and it usually takes about 1500 ml of beers for me to start being tipsy and having fun. I incorporate some unhealthy food into my diet every day and still manage a healthy lifestyle, but it seems that the only way for me to enjoy booze is to have a huge cheat meal. I'm not even comfortable with the notion of "cheat" meal. My apology for being so greedy and wanting to have everything.

So how do you deal with your "nights out"? Do you throw everything out of the window and just enjoy yourself?

P/s: I do not drink in the US as I am underage. This applies in my country only (where it is perfectly legal).

Replies

• Bennettlizzy81
    Options
    There's a big difference between the kind of drinks...
    Some have a lot of extra ingredients besides the alcohol.
    I would say know in advance if you are going out, and save some calories/look up drink calories beforehand...Then, even if you drink 500-calories worth of beverages, you will still have a deficit.

I'm actually feeling really bad because alcohol got me off my diet yesterday...A friend gave me this wonderful sweet wine. I usually only drink at home with my hubby. Up until yesterday I was limiting it to one drink or even two if I had extra calories left for the day. For some reason yesterday I went crazy and finished the half-empty bottle...which probably amounted to 3-4 servings. I'm so mad!!! That was my first cheat in like 2 weeks...I started out at 180 and am down to 175 in about two weeks (I know, probably a lot of water weight, but I've been working really hard to keep a good calorie deficit).

So....my best advice would be, DO NOT KEEP ALCOHOL IN THE HOUSE!! Or....if you want to indulge one night...Drink 1 serving and DUMP THE REST OUT!!! I think that's how I'm going to handle it from now on. It may be wasteful, but I'd rather not have a weird day and binge again.
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I've been eating/drinking on the weekends....I still lose 2-3/week if you maintain the rest of the week. =))
  • sarahhan95
    Options
    Um... I'm so sorry, but can some Admin close this topic? My wifi lagged quite a bit so I ended up posting this twice. I am so so sorry for this clumsy mistake :(
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I drink ALL the Alcohol!!!!! :drinker:
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    alcohol is no problem if you keep your calories up to date and level.
  • dorkof82
    dorkof82 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    i go for the hard ****. beer is loaded with carbs, i do whiskey or rum. no carbs and takes less to get you a little tipsy so the calories arent too bad
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    If I go out, I go out with the intention of enjoying myself. I order what I want and have drinks if I want it. That being said, I am not a huge drinker so it's one or two and I'm good. But, I don't obsess over what type of drink or how many calories, the same with my meal. I can't live my life being that obsessive about everything and a night here or there has not hurt my progress.
  • Beastmode454
    Beastmode454 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    i go for the hard ****. beer is loaded with carbs, i do whiskey or rum. no carbs and takes less to get you a little tipsy so the calories arent too bad

^^^^ YEA patron shots!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of water and take an asprin, can't stand the headache the next morning.
  • scottcharl
    scottcharl Posts: 133
    Options
    I drink Vodka with Club Soda and Lime. Clear alcohol is better than dark as far as calories go. I LOVE my whiskey so I keep that in check.
  • TangledUp_InBlue
    TangledUp_InBlue Posts: 397 Member
    Options

THIS!!! Ain’t no weight loss plan gonna derail my life and fun. :drinker:
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I drink it. :drinker:

Honest answer - I budget the calories in my daily goal and, if need be, add some extra exercise in to make it work.

p.s. Thanks for reminding me that I need to pick up some Guinness on the way home and redo my plan for the day (i.e. remove ice cream and add the Guinness).
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    One glass at a time :drinker:
  • LJGettinSexy
    LJGettinSexy Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Yeah!!! This
  • daftthoughts
    Options
    I love drinking, and it usually takes about 1500 ml of beers for me to start being tipsy and having fun.

If you need that much beer to get tipsy, I almost think you're having a drinking problem. You built up a lot of resistance to alcohol and you need it to have fun... Sounds like a recipe to alcoholism and an unhealthy relationship with your social life. This is taking a huge toll on your liver too, so I wouldn't call your lifestyle healthy.

My advice? Start drinking a lot less for some time. Once you detox your body from its resistance to alcohol you'll end up needing a lot less beer to get tipsy. What worries me is that you have a dependency on alcohol to have fun though. Sounds like you need a change of environment and friends, or start working on yourself mentally so that you don't even need alcohol anymore.

I drink it purely because sometimes I enjoy the taste of the beverages, but I never use it to have fun in social situations because I know how to be open and have a good time without it. You should give it a try.
  • OptimisticlyOptimistic
    Options

THIS!! :drinker:
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    One glass at a time :drinker:

Cheers!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I love drinking, and it usually takes about 1500 ml of beers for me to start being tipsy and having fun.

If you need that much beer to get tipsy, I almost think you're having a drinking problem. You built up a lot of resistance to alcohol and you need it to have fun... Sounds like a recipe to alcoholism and an unhealthy relationship with your social life. This is taking a huge toll on your liver too, so I wouldn't call your lifestyle healthy.

My advice? Start drinking a lot less for some time. Once you detox your body from its resistance to alcohol you'll end up needing a lot less beer to get tipsy. What worries me is that you have a dependency on alcohol to have fun though. Sounds like you need a change of environment and friends, or start working on yourself mentally so that you don't even need alcohol anymore.

I drink it purely because sometimes I enjoy the taste of the beverages, but I never use it to have fun in social situations because I know how to be open and have a good time without it. You should give it a try.

Hmmm.....diagnosing substance abuse over the internet with limited information......sounds legit.
  • jmclaughlin22
    jmclaughlin22 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Flavored vodka with club soda will help to keep the calorie count down...personally, I like the grape vodka. Cheers!
  • joecmoore1
    joecmoore1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have a similar issue. I love beer! Unfortunately, beer if FULL of carbs, sugars, etc. depending on the brand. I had a rather pleasant weekend and wound up drinking probably 15 beers over the course of two days. Needless to say, when I weighed on Monday, I had gained 6 lbs.!!! :( Today is Friday and I have finally shed the excess weight I gained plus a couple of more and am back to where I need to be at this point. I had to bust my *kitten* to get back here though. UGH!!

Now its going to be Friday night...what's the solution?

I have decided to limit myself to two beers and continue to eat healthy the whole time. Its a trade off, if you eat the yummy stuff...no booze. If you want to have booze, then no burgers, etc. All things in moderation. Otherwise it winds up on your butt come Monday.