Reasons Why I DON'T Want to Lose Weight

Options
Evelyn_Gorfram
Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
edited October 2018 in Motivation and Support
(I hope it's okay to steal a post from another thread and use it to start my own, because that's what I'm doing here.)
Stolen from the "Breakdown" thread:
88olds wrote: »
Now that you’ve got the reasons you want to lose weight, make a list of the reasons why you don’t. That’s right, why you don’t.

If you didn’t have reasons not to lose, you would have done it by now. Now take the two lists and see what kind of deals or compromises you can make to get some accommodations for both sides. Avoid the temptation to just try to throw the don’t side under the bus. Both points of view are valid.

But this- hope. There’s reason for hope. CICO backed up with a food diary and some patience works. It really does.
Wow. This is a great insight, and a great idea. :)

While I have another, much longer, list of reasons to lose weight; this is my "Why Not To" list so far:

1. It is so much easier not to bother with losing weight, at least in the short term.
(In the long term, however, dealing with health problems, mobility problems, and social problems might be even harder than losing weight and keeping it off.)

2. I can eat whatever it occurs to me to eat, whenever it strikes my fancy, without thinking about it all.
(My body, my health, and my appearance will always carry the record of all that I have eaten, whether my brain thinks about it or not.)

3. I have a closet full of super-sized "fat" clothes that fit me just fine.
(And I don't really look good, or feel good, in any of them.)

4. Not being bothered by people I not interested in coming on to me & making sexual overtures.
(People I am interested in might well be more attracted to me if I were at a lower weight.)

5. My wrinkles are mostly well puffed-up, and I have no need to worry about loose skin.
(My wrinkles and my loose skin are currently filled up with fat - I'm not sure that's the better look.)

(Edited heavily in the hope of making it obvious that none of these reasons are enough to stop me from losing weight, and that this thread is not at all meant to discourage anyone else from losing weight, or to encourage them to be discouraged (as it were).

I meant to expand on @88olds idea that we all do have some reasons for not losing weight, and knowing what they are so that we can think them over, and refute them if we choose to, could be very helpful.)

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I like your cat.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Figuring this out is an important part of the process. But you can't stop here.

You'll now have to look at your two lists and decide which list is more resonant. Use that information to guide decision making.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    edited October 2018
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    1. Peanut butter
    2. Ben & Jerry's cookies and cream cheesecake core
    3. Peanut butter
    4. All the pizza
    5. Peanut butter

:lol:
    Excellent points, @pinuplove!

...continuation of my list:
    6. Alden's Vanilla ice cream (say what you will, but a really good vanilla is really good)
    7. My own oatmeal-everything cookie dough, made with egg whites only and eaten raw from the mixing bowl
    8. Nanaimo bars
    9. Berry pie (all the berries)
    10. Ham. All the ham.
    11. Almost any combination of hot fried potatoes and salt.

;)
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    @Evelyn_Gorfram This is commonly referred to as the 2 list exercise. OP on the Breakdown thread already had her reasons for losing list. You need both lists to try to resolve the internal conflict.

You don’t need to apologize for or try to explain away your resistance. Everyone here has reasons they would really prefer not to be involved in weight loss. The exercise tries to get what’s blocking our progress out in the open.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    @Evelyn_Gorfram This is commonly referred to as the 2 list exercise. OP on the Breakdown thread already had her reasons for losing list. You need both lists to try to resolve the internal conflict.

You don’t need to apologize for or try to explain away your resistance. Everyone here has reasons they would really prefer not to be involved in weight loss. The exercise tries to get what’s blocking our progress out in the open.
    Right. I think that's the problem with my stealing your quote and opening a new thread with it.

In the original thread, it was in context and so it was clear that there were two lists being contrasted.

On this thread, out of context (and with me not having heard of the "two-list exercise" as such), I realized shortly after posting it that it could come across looking like a "one-list exercise." I worried that it might look like I was trying to discourage myself - and perhaps others - from losing weight; and so I did some perhaps overhasty editing to try to make myself clear.

With any luck, I didn't *kitten* the whole thing up too much further. B)

• Evelyn_Gorfram
    Options
    GoodLardy wrote: »
    1. I do not want to lose weight so I can continue to embarrass my mother
    2. I do not want to lose weight because I don’t want anyone to notice I did and comment
    3. Because that one woman at work will be mean to me
    4. Because I’ll have to the thing I promised someone I’d do when I was thin, thinking I never would be
    I like Reason #1. Maybe you could get one of the theatrical "fat suits" that actors wear for playing fat people, just for whenever you're going to see your mom.

Re: Reason #4. Dare one ask what the promise was (unless you'd rather not share)?

• GoodLardy
    GoodLardy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    2. I do not want to lose weight because I don’t want anyone to notice I did and comment
    4. Because I’ll have to the thing I promised someone I’d do when I was thin, thinking I never would be
    I like Reason #1. Maybe you could get one of the theatrical "fat suits" that actors wear for playing fat people, just for whenever you're going to see your mom.

Re: Reason #4. Dare one ask what the promise was (unless you'd rather not share)?

Ha ha! Great idea for #1 ! #4 there’s more to it, but it involves wearing a swimsuit in public, and in front of people I’d rather not see me in a swim suit. I know I shouldn’t care, but I’m just not there yet.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    edited October 2018
    Options

#4 there’s more to it, but it involves wearing a swimsuit in public, and in front of people I’d rather not see me in a swim suit. I know I shouldn’t care, but I’m just not there yet.
    Well, you don't have to be there yet.
    (& with luck, you didn't promise a timeline on just how long after reaching your goal weight you had to fulfill the promise. ;) )

• Evelyn_Gorfram
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    I like your cat.
    Thanks. I like my cat, too. :)
    (And she likes my dish drainer.)

• ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    1. My fiancé likes bigger girls. I’m afraid if I lose to much he won’t find me attractive anymore.
    2. I miss donuts. I miss big, sugary iced coffees with double cream, double sugar.
    3. I love my butt and thighs.
    4. I want pizza and Chinese food.
    5. Counting calories for the rest of my life is just not how I imagined it would go.
    6. I don’t want to have to invest in new clothes.
  • long_for_me
    long_for_me Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I really really like my big fat breasts :-), and I know that they will go! But I still look better thinner...
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Boobs are one of the first places I lose weight, and I refuse to be okay with that :p
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    It's too easy to eat all the junk food in the house, sugar tastes great!