Struggling to get back on a cut cycle

Options
For those of you who have done multiple bulk/cut cycles how do you transition back into cut while maintaining your training schedule?

I only did this once before and found it fairly easy but am really struggling this time. Of course last time I did a very slow bulk just above maintenance and was disappointed with muscle development so this time I really let myself eat much more, averages 2700 a day. New calorie goal is 1450 before exercise and average 1600-1700. I’m always hungry no matter how much I eat and if I stick to my calorie goal then I’m exhausted and struggle to make my workouts.

I’d love some insights from those with experience because I want to keep cycling.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    It might help to slowly lower your calories instead of just jumping straight into the cut.
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    That’s funny, those are my numbers and I’m having a hard time getting back to it too.. been trying/half trying for the past three weeks... just posting to say I’m in the same boat.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    It might help to slowly lower your calories instead of just jumping straight into the cut.

That’s a good idea thank you
  • SCoil123
    Options
    That’s funny, those are my numbers and I’m having a hard time getting back to it too.. been trying/half trying for the past three weeks... just posting to say I’m in the same boat.

It’s always nice to know we aren’t alone. Hopefully we can both get to where we want to be soon.

I’m currently drinking licorice tea to avoid giving in to the night time hunger pains
  • ThisOtherGirl
    ThisOtherGirl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have been a total cow the past 2/3 weeks. I put on 4 lbs.

I am still hoping it is water retention cause I mean, why would all the junk and sugars stick to my waistline now? 💁🏻🙈

I am IF + low carb (NOT KETO!) dieting for 3 days starting today - like right now!

We got this 💪🏼

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    What typically works for me coming from a bulk:
    I transition slowly. I spend some time at maintenance, then gradually lower the cals. Some people like to get right to it and be more aggressive while motivation is high, but I prefer to take it slow so my workouts don't take a huge hit.
    I carb/calorie cycle and incorporate refeeds so I eat more around my heavier workout days which helps me. I continue to have carbs pre-workout (candy). I don't add any cardio in until maybe a month in but I still try to keep active (lots of walking). I keep protein pretty high, but not too high as to crowd out my carbs and fats obviously.

I take notes on what keeps me full and satisfied. Each cut seems to be a bit different. This time around it's chicken breast, whey protein and cottage cheese. In the past it was high volume meals, Quest bars and Greek Yogurt.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue after my second bulk. I was okay at maintenance for a few weeks but then it took me about 4-5 more weeks to consistently cut calories from that. I set my deficit, which was modest, but kept eating between that and maintenance. I finally started making sure to leave some food on my plate and cut some that way. Then it started falling into place. Agree with Sardelsa, each cycle seems to be a bit different.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I just accept that my workouts and general feeling of well-being are going to take a hit. The longer I cut the more significant that hit becomes. Typically I just jump right into a pretty aggressive deficit straight from a bulk... which might mean a huge difference in daily caloric intake (this time, for example, it's from 4500 to 2500, 2K difference).

One of the things I've had to teach myself is that there is a difference between having my workouts feel harder and require more concentration and drive and actually having physical performance suffer. What I mean is that almost immediately everything feels "harder"... but I can still knock out the same sets at the same intensity. It's just a bit more brutal than normal and leaves me much more weary. Later, no matter how much drive I have I just can't manage the same volume. I start losing reps and I start having recovery issues. This is when I modify my workouts to account for this drop in output. I'll drop accessories first. Then I'll start dropping reps slightly, then entire sets. Never decreasing intensity. This has worked for me even during a 5 month cut. I lost zero strength and there was no "rebuilding" phase after the cut to bring myself back up to previous levels of strength. Past techniques where intensity is sacrificed for volume ended up with me losing a significant amount of strength and a rebuilding phase that took months.
  • SCoil123
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the replies and insights. I’m re-adjusting my plan based on your input. I’ve decided to stay at maintenance through October and then work with a smaller deficit through the holidays. This cycle is going to be longer than If originally planned but that’s ok. I worked hard to add some muscle and I’m not willing to risk losing it by having my training suffer due to jumping back in too fast.

If I’m still struggling I like what jseams1234 said about decreasing reps rather than weight and intensity.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont do bulk/cut cycles but trying to get back into the routine of a deficit when eating at maintenance for 3 years is TOUGH

i feel your pain!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I never attempt a cut in the holiday season, so between Halloween and New Years I schedule as a bulking phase or maintenance. My cut awaits January 2nd and planning for 16 weeks.

Don't try to swim upstream.
  • Cjfields1
    Cjfields1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    d1po40d94rzt.png
    Trying to get bulk but keep stomach in check. Never easy. Anyone have advice
  • SCoil123
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I never attempt a cut in the holiday season, so between Halloween and New Years I schedule as a bulking phase or maintenance. My cut awaits January 2nd and planning for 16 weeks.

I like to bulk spring break through Summer. That’s when we do our vacations and it’s BBQ season. Since I’m allergic to wheat most of the tempting holiday treats this time of year are off limits to me anyways.

This was my second real cycle though and it was so much harder to reduce the volume Id gotten used to eating.

Thanks to some good advice I got here I’m going to be doing transition brief maintenance periods now between bulls and cuts. It really helped to maintain for a little while and gradually reduce the calories again 🙂
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »

I like to bulk spring break through Summer. That’s when we do our vacations and it’s BBQ season. Since I’m allergic to wheat most of the tempting holiday treats this time of year are off limits to me anyways.

This was my second real cycle though and it was so much harder to reduce the volume Id gotten used to eating.

Thanks to some good advice I got here I’m going to be doing transition brief maintenance periods now between bulls and cuts. It really helped to maintain for a little while and gradually reduce the calories again 🙂

With me Spring-Summer brings on the climbing season, so my activity exceeds my intake regardless of what I eat, so prior to counting calories I always ended up in an unintentional cut. Fall-Winter brings out all my favorite beers, so I learned to accept it and plan my bulking phase around this.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    d1po40d94rzt.png
    Trying to get bulk but keep stomach in check. Never easy. Anyone have advice

Smaller surplus. The bigger your surplus, the more of it that goes to fat stores instead of muscle.