Shin Splints

Options
How do I combat shin splints? I've always hated running, never been good at it, and every time I try to take it up, I get shin splints right away. Are there any good exercises or plans that will help remedy this problem?

Replies

• rbernales
    rbernales Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are caused by your calves contracting and pulling on the muscles and tissue in the foreleg. You might need to ease into the running and duck walks help a bit as well. A duck walk is done by walking on your heels and keeping toes of the ground.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Avand17 wrote: »
    How do I combat shin splints? I've always hated running, never been good at it, and every time I try to take it up, I get shin splints right away. Are there any good exercises or plans that will help remedy this problem?

are you following C25K or something similar when you start running?

did you get fit for running shoes? are you stretching before and afterwards?
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I just kept running and my shin thickens and adapted to the run. Running activates the shin and just like when you activate any muscle group, you will get sore or some type of muscle discomfort in the beginning when you're adapting to the new load.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for shoes appropriate to your gait. For me, the wrong shoes aggravate my shins and it's the first sign that I need to replace the ones I'm using.

Go to a proper running store and get a gait analysis done and go with their recommendations