Sleep Deprivation Linked to Junk Food Cravings

Options
icimani
icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
"high-calorie foods also became significantly more desirable when participants were sleep-deprived. This combination of altered brain activity and decision-making may help explain why people who sleep less also tend to be overweight or obese."

Interesting. Don't get all crazy on me - I know there are LOTS of exceptions.

source: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130806145542.htm

Replies

• mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Doesn't surprise me. When I haven't had enough sleep for several nights in a row, I fall off the wagon and load on carbs in the evening hours. So the answer is to....go to bed instead! :)
  • SergeantG
    Options
    Wow...I think this is what is happening to me....

I haven't gained anything over the last week....but I havent lost anything either....I am utterly exhausted (working over 15 hours a day...working on less than 5 hours of sleep a night, which for me, is not a good thing) and I have noticed that I have started to crave some of those high calorie junk foods over the past 7 days or so....it hit me hard a couple of hours ago when I suddenly craved a doughnut....I haven't eaten one, but I REALLY want one...
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I was just standing in the kitchen of my office breakroom staring at the left over bagels....yawning..... This study does not surprise me. Had coffee instead.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    It makes perfect sense. You're sleepy, but you can't sleep. So your body says "Fine, if you won't let me sleep I'm going to need some more energy to keep going. Go eat that cake. All of it." And, according to the study, the part of your brain that tells you that's not a good idea just kind of shrugs and doesn't say anything.
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Oh so true!
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    This is me when I work nights, where i work I only cover night shifts instead of doing a run of them over a week, so this could lead me to do 2 nights in a week or even one. This is not enough to get my body clock used to being awake and asleep at the right time. This often leaves me with having sometimes less than 5 hours sleep. When Im on nights i often crave high sugary carbs, cakes biscuits chocolate etc. As soon as Im off nights and caught up with my sleep bang no more sugar cravings.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed that I crave the carbs when I don't get enough sleep, but I do notice that my weight loss is much more successful when I'm getting enough sleep, and sleeping well.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I have been unable to get enough sleep lately and have had my appetite skyrocket. No matter how much I eat, with lots of protein, fiber, and fat, I'm hungry again really soon. It sucks.