• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Well.... I work in a gated community where all of the medical, mental health, security and nutrition is provided to a ... well... select clientele. When they leave my gated community, many get jobs in the Restaurant Industry..... One of my reasons.

Been there. Done that. One of the reasons I went to Subway, at least I could watch them prep my food.

:open_mouth: You people are not helping (or maybe you are, depending). I worked in fast food my first couple of years of college, and most of us were either high school or college students. We definitely were not scooping fries up off the floor and serving them :sick: OK, we didn't have fries, but nothing of any comparable level of grossness was going on either!

I worked as a cook in a restaurant years ago. We did not really mess with peoples food, unless they pissed us off or messed with the waitresses.

The worst I did was overfill peoples drink cups with ice in the drive-through if they were rude ordering :laugh:

Ha! I usually appreciate it when that happens! I almost always keep a backup Red Bull in my car, so the extra ice is appreciated.

You're welcome! :mrgreen:
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Now that my cooking has improved over the last decade or so....the food I cook at home is usually better than the price range I’m willing to eat out at. The exception to me is good Thai food....but there’s none around me
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I don't want to get sick from food contamination.

My food tastes better for less money.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have an odd or different motivation to not eat out? Mine is- wanting to pay off my last freaken student loan and buy a house. Every time I resist BK or McD I think "$6 toward the house, $6 more toward the house" Honestly, for me it's better motivation than just 'eating healthy;.

I want to buy a house.

I don't think that $6 is going to make a difference toward that goal. But the attitude that I should usually spend money taking the easy way (I mean vs cooking at home) won't help. Stuff adds up.

About eating out specifically, Seattle has some really fantastic restaurants. But they're not cheap.

Your right, $6.00 isn't much, but $6 times 5 days a week, times 4 weeks equals $120.00 a month, that definitely adds up, and I find that most lunches, which is all I eat out are no longer $6.00, they are $7-$8 a meal...

I usually start with a reason to stop eating out, money, health, but nothing ever lasts very long.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Well.... I work in a gated community where all of the medical, mental health, security and nutrition is provided to a ... well... select clientele. When they leave my gated community, many get jobs in the Restaurant Industry..... One of my reasons.

Been there. Done that. One of the reasons I went to Subway, at least I could watch them prep my food.

:open_mouth: You people are not helping (or maybe you are, depending). I worked in fast food my first couple of years of college, and most of us were either high school or college students. We definitely were not scooping fries up off the floor and serving them :sick: OK, we didn't have fries, but nothing of any comparable level of grossness was going on either!

I worked as a cook in a restaurant years ago. We did not really mess with peoples food, unless they pissed us off or messed with the waitresses.

Ditto this... I was a baker for a few years, all of us that worked there took pride in making sure everything was very clean especially in the back. Whenever we trained the newbies if they didn't scrub a pot until it was sparkling clean it was sent back immediately to be redone. I would always come home sore and tired from making sure you could eat off the floor of that place lol ( not that anyone ever did) .
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    i'm a celiac so eating out is a big risk that is not often worth it.
  • Hamsibian
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »

Hmm I'm guessing I got woo'ed for the contamination bit. I'm not a germaphobe, I have health issues that are exacerbated by certain common foods (gluten and dairy, for instance). Most restaurants aren't designated to accommodate that.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

Hmm I'm guessing I got woo'ed for the contamination bit. I'm not a germaphobe, I have health issues that are exacerbated by certain common foods (gluten and dairy, for instance). Most restaurants aren't designated to accommodate that.

Some people think "woo" is like "woohoo"- a cheer. Some people just use it randomly to annoy people. No worries :) I'd say news reports have born out that contamination is a legitimate concern, health issues or not.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,982 Member
    Options
    Eating out isn't that hard for me to avoid, because that requires just as much if not more effort than heating something up at home.

That being said, there are a LOT of delivery options by me (pretty much anything I want, including fast food), so THAT is harder to talk myself out of, especially since I can order it to have hot food delivered shortly after I get home from work with no effort and basically no clean up on my part.

My only good motivator outside of weight is "race tires." Technically it's any of my racing expenses, but "race tires" is the mantra when I'm wanting to spend money I really shouldn't be spending!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Wether you have a full blown allergy or niggly intolerances for me it just is not worth the worry. My phrase is, if in doubt, don't.
  • Hamsibian
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

Some people think "woo" is like "woohoo"- a cheer. Some people just use it randomly to annoy people. No worries :) I'd say news reports have born out that contamination is a legitimate concern, health issues or not.

Hahaha I'm trying to figure out which part of my original post would warrant a "woohoo" reaction. :D I'm glad it's being recognized as legitimate. A few weeks ago, I ate grilled salmon at Olive Garden, and had a mild reaction from mediocre food. So not worth it!