Omega 3 6 9 (non fish oil) question

Options
I've started taking a non-fish oil Omega 3 6 9 in addition to my regular supplements, clean eating and exercise (weight lifting). I've also noticed an occasional bloating in my upper abdomen (just below the ribs) without pain. Could they be related?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Did you change all of this at the same time or just the supplement? Fish oil makes me gassy. I imagine this supplement would do the same for me.
  • LeGypsyRov
    LeGypsyRov Posts: 36 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Thanks, both of you. I suspected it may be the culprit. I will be cutting it out to see how that works. I had been taking just my regular supplements (mostly for my disabilities, I'm allergic to the commercial meds) and recently just added the Omegas.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Maybe take them every other day? Or before bed?
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    My wife gets gas from Omega 3s. Entirely up to you what you take but most of us get tons of Omega 6s naturally through diet. It's the Omega 3s we struggle with. Have you considered just an Omega 3? There are really good options out there for just Omega 3s now including Vegan, made from algal oil.

If you eat nuts, nut butter (I eat vegan a few days a week and just the peanut butter alone that I eat for protein has massive amounts of Omega 6s) or ever eat vegetable oils, you're getting tons of Omega 6s already.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/optimize-omega-6-omega-3-ratio#section3

If you want to talk our ancestrial diets, most believe ancestrial diets were around 2 to 1 Omega 6s to Omega 3s. Now, with all the vegetable oils, it's like 16 to 1. Most Americans (including me) don't need to take Omega 6s or 9s, only Omega 3s.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/omega-3-6-9-overview#section5
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Seffell wrote: »
    Our ancestors knew nothing about Alpha or Omega but they still managed to produce the next generation somehow. And that over millions of years.... I think it's just a money racket. I prefer fresh fish a couple of times a week with lots of fresh salad. And MFP where I record all food I eat as best as I can.

Do you know what the life expectancy was then? Like 25 years.

That's because average life span was low from childhood diseases and postpartum death of mothers and infants, not because of EFA or other nutritional deficiencies (other than energy deficiencies during droughts, etc.).
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    If the omega 3 is coming from an ALA source (like flaxseed) the conversion to EPA and DHA is pretty dismal. You'd be much better off with algae oil if you don't want fish oil.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    LeGypsyRov wrote: »
    I've started taking a non-fish oil Omega 3 6 9 in addition to my regular supplements, clean eating and exercise (weight lifting). I've also noticed an occasional bloating in my upper abdomen (just below the ribs) without pain. Could they be related?

Have you tried hemp seeds? They contain every amino acid and even omega 3, 6, and 9. You can sprinkle a table spoon in morning oats, or a protein smoothie every few days.
    If you notice bloating from omegas, try taking them at night.