Have you tried going sugar free?

Options
nicolewolff96
nicolewolff96 Posts: 15 Member
I've found sugar is one of the hardest things to avoid in your diet. Its in almost everything, even things you wouldn't suspect. It's also hard to give up right around now with Halloween right around the corner.

I've heard many great things from people who cut most sugar from their diet. That some have seen the most progress in the times that they gave up sugar for a period of time.

But i was curious on the community here's opinion on the challenge. Have you ever tried it or would you want to?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I've done it successfully in the past. I did it because I thought it was necessary. Now I know that it isn't necessary. Plus I'm much happier fitting in some sweet treats, and still reaching my goals.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've never seen the point...I don't eat a ton of sweets or drink Big Gulp sodas or anything like that...not really a problem unless you're consuming sugar in mass quantities. Most fruits and vegetables also have most of their calories coming from sugar.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    As a T2 diabetic I am aware of where the sugars (and carbs) are in all my food. It’s virtually impossible to eliminate and starchy carbs are just a short chain different from table sugar anyways.

So I don’t bother trying to rid myself of all of it. I watch my portions and surround all my meals with as many macros as possible.

This gives me a steady supply of energy all day.

What I don’t do is load myself with an unprotected blast of sugar. I cannot remember when I last had a double wide slice of cake, a sugar soda, milkshake or big bowl of ice cream.

I will eat an apple, enjoy a single butter tart with a glass of milk, or drink diet soda.
  • Jovicat
    Jovicat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Life today can bring such little satisfaction to people so why not enjoy the small things...in moderation when you can! Like for me-a big cup of hot coffee per day and yes I put two sugars and cream in it. ENJOY (in small doses ;)
  • nicolewolff96
    nicolewolff96 Posts: 15 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Love seeing all the answers here. :) its a very hard thing to cut, and i dont believe it is at all necessary to do so long as you keep it in healthy moderation like you guys said.

Im not too bad with sweets myself, I've cut soda completely with no trouble. My biggest trouble is coffee with cream haha but I've learned to get it under control. Sometimes my sweet tooth is wild but i try and cover it with fruits as much as i can rather than cake or cookies ect. But of course its ok to enjoy those things once in a while too. Why not live a little. :smile:
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    @sijomial I'm confused. Why are you commenting on this challenge when you feel this way
    sijomial wrote: »
    '

I'm dubious about the value of exclusion challenges at all whatever the item being excluded. I don't need to be part of other people's challenges - if I want to make a change then I make it. No I wouldn't ever try it as it would be pointless for me.

She's just asking for others' "opinions," I don't think she was looking to have every absolute thing she said critiqued. And I suppose you've voiced yours by critiquing most of what she wrote. I just wonder why you're looking at the challenges when you say, you "don't need to be part of other people's challenges." Just curious.

• 425Recess
    425Recess Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    My daughter-in-law gave up all sugar for a couple of years. I had to read labels very carefully when she was over for dinner. She was addicted to sugar, tried cutting back and it just didn't work. Giving it up all together did work. She now will eat foods with the "hidden" sugars but not sodas, desserts, and those foods that obviously have sugar and she is still doing fine. I am very proud of her.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    @sijomial I'm confused. Why are you commenting on this challenge when you feel this way
    sijomial wrote: »
    '

I'm dubious about the value of exclusion challenges at all whatever the item being excluded. I don't need to be part of other people's challenges - if I want to make a change then I make it. No I wouldn't ever try it as it would be pointless for me.

She's just asking for others' "opinions," I don't think she was looking to have every absolute thing she said critiqued. And I suppose you've voiced yours by critiquing most of what she wrote. I just wonder why you're looking at the challenges when you say, you "don't need to be part of other people's challenges." Just curious.

@lorrainequiche59

The OP even said "i was curious on the community here's opinion on the challenge".
    Giving my opinion on the going sugar free challenge is a core point.
    It asked for an opinion and I gave my opinion, unlike you who actually didn't comment on it at all.

Read my post again and you will see I specifically said exclusion challenges, I participate in what you might call an inclusion challenge - https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10698495/october-2018-biking-cycling-bicycling-bike-bicycle-unicycle-tricycle-challenge#latest
    I don't need to be a part of it, I would cycle anyway and my cycling goals are mine not someone else's, but it's fun to see what other cyclists in the community are up to - it's a very positive thread.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    @sijomial You obviously missed my point. Perhaps you would benefit by reading your post again.

Anyway, you're right, I didn't give my opinion on the challenge. What I read from @nicolewolff96 is added sugar or non-naturally occurring sugar. SO, here's my opinion: I agree with her if she is referring to processed food, it is very difficult to find something without some form of added sugar. The only way to avoid added sugar is by only eating whole foods obviously. So dilemma solved, but easier said than done for most of us and I think that is the point she was making. You sound like a someone with a good sense of self control & I envy that. Most of us struggle in that area, so more power to you if you have no issue in this area.

BTW Giving your opinion & critiquing every absolute point someone makes are two different things. And, yes, I'm critiquing your critique LOL

Hope you have a great day...sugar-free if you can swing it!! ;)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    @sijomial You obviously missed my point. Perhaps you would benefit by reading your post again.

Anyway, you're right, I didn't give my opinion on the challenge. What I read from @nicolewolff96 is added sugar or non-naturally occurring sugar. SO, here's my opinion: I agree with her if she is referring to processed food, it is very difficult to find something without some form of added sugar. The only way to avoid added sugar is by only eating whole foods obviously. So dilemma solved, but easier said than done for most of us and I think that is the point she was making. You sound like a someone with a good sense of self control & I envy that. Most of us struggle in that area, so more power to you if you have no issue in this area.

BTW Giving your opinion & critiquing every absolute point someone makes are two different things. And, yes, I'm critiquing your critique LOL

@lorrainequiche59
    I didn't miss your point - I just disagree with you.
    You don't like the style I used. Maybe the OP didn't either but maybe going though point by point might suggest a solution to the OP (or other readers) - like regarding Halloween sweets as being for the children and not for her.
    I'm not seeing any helpful contribution from you to the OP at all, the opposite in fact in reinforcing myths.

There's plenty of processed foods with no added sugar, that's just another fallacy repeated without thought or sometimes just an odd interpretation of processing. Porridge oats - processed but no added sugar, ditto some wheat breakfast cereals, ditto tinned tomatoes, ditto frozen veg, ditto some fruit juices, coffee, olive oil, cheese, meat products etc etc etc.... Sure you can also find a lot of these items with added sugar but that's a choice.
    Reading labels is a very useful skill and really not that difficult. You soon learn brands that have the ingredient list that you want.
    I make bread from four processed ingredients (flour, buttermilk, salt, bicarbonate of soda) but no added sugar - it's not difficult, tastes wonderful.

Yes all dieting is easier said than done, but using critical thinking skills helps far more than buzz words or absolute and incorrect phrases.

No I'm not avoiding added sugar, It's just not a big part of my diet (noun). I'm having a fairly high carb day in fact as I've got a long cycle ride tomorrow. Tomorrow will be a very high carb day including lots of processed and added sugar foods/supplements by deliberate choice and for a specific purpose.

• LeGypsyRov
    LeGypsyRov Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have completely cut out processed sugar from my diet. I used to drink soda and put a lot of sugar in my coffee, as well as the candy. I feel so much better now, not sluggish. That is not to say I have cut out natural sugars (in fruits, etc) nor am I cutting carbs. I eat clean and balanced. It works for me :smile:
  • losingtime
    losingtime Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am currently trying to do a “no added sugar” way of eating. I do eat natural sugars found in fruits and etc. But I don’t buy packaged or processed foods. My one exception is occasionally I enjoy a small serving of pasta. Leaving out the sugar has resolved completely the acid reflux issue I dealt with for years.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Perhaps you missed OP's second post where she is agreeing with everything in moderation, including sweet treats.