What to have with Peking duck?

acpgee
acpgee Posts: 7,590 Member
I am making Peking duck tonight. Duck breasts with the pancakes and hoisin and cucumer and green onions. That's not quite a full meal though. Any ideas on what to have as a second course? Maybe rice and sauteed spinach? Or start with a soup of greens and frozen wontons?

Replies

• PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    I'm thinking rice and stir fried broccoli. :)
  • PKM0515
    And fresh pineapple for dessert. Some sort of granita (grapefruit or blood orange?), if you want something "fancier", but I would just like some fresh pineapple. Not that you asked for any opinions about dessert. ;)
  • IM_in_training
    IM_in_training Posts: 21 Member
    Basmati rice and a big glass (or 4) of Syrah.
  • acpgee
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    And fresh pineapple for dessert. Some sort of granita (grapefruit or blood orange?), if you want something "fancier", but I would just like some fresh pineapple. Not that you asked for any opinions about dessert. ;)

I've actually got some leftover chocolate sorbet in the freezer from the last time I threw a dinner party. Could have that with some strawberries.
  • acpgee

The other half is a broccoli hater. Any other veg ideas? I can only think of sauteed spinach.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    acpgee wrote: »

The other half is a broccoli hater. Any other veg ideas? I can only think of sauteed spinach.

Bok choi (or a number of other asian greens), green beans, and brussels sprouts all easily come to mind.
  • acpgee
    It turns out we didn't need a second course. We will drag out that tub of leftover homemade chocolate sorbet later to have with strawberries if we are hungry later.
    5fydwfoth5e3.jpeg
  • acpgee
    We ended up having some dessert.
    6fvccfui4xcq.jpeg
  • PKM0515
    Those strawberries look delicious! Glad you enjoyed your meal. :)
  • acpgee

There has been over production of strawberries in the UK this summer. Outrageously cheap. Also great quality. Of course at this time of the year not as glorious at the incredibly sweet ones we got in August.

• PKM0515
    acpgee wrote: »

There has been over production of strawberries in the UK this summer. Outrageously cheap. Also great quality. Of course at this time of the year not as glorious at the incredibly sweet ones we got in August.

I'm envious! Strawberries have not been good here this summer. Fortunately, the blackberries have been decent, but I've really been wanting good quality strawberries.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Yum! What great ideas!