Gaining weight on 1200cal a day, how?

Options
alitude01
alitude01 Posts: 17 Member
I have been crazy diligent on my Cal intake. I’m at 1200cal on days I don’t work out and around 1800cal on days I do. I cook my own food and weigh everything. This week however I’m Up 2.5lbs! I’m upset at my self b/c I have been killing it at the gym and my diet. I’m only 4 weeks in this new way of life and feeling really down right now. I need some help on what I’m doing wrong. My goal is to loose 2lbs a week till December then .5 - 1 lbs a week after that. I’m 5 3” and right now 154.7lbs. My goal is 130-124lbs. I’m doing 3 hard days of cardio and 1 day of weights when I work out.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you due to get your period?
  • alitude01
    Options
    Nope, it’s due in 19 days.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I’m on my phone, or I’d link it, but go find the “weird weight fluctuations” thread by @AnvilHead, and read the article there. It explains everything.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I’m on my phone, or I’d link it, but go find the “weird weight fluctuations” thread by @AnvilHead, and read the article there. It explains everything.

Here's the link, it's great: http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

Thanks, @diannethegeek!
  • alitude01
    Options
    I did push myself at the gym this week. I had DOMS for 3 days. I’m feeling really good today but no gym till Monday for me. I’m hoping it’s just extra water weight. I also only weigh my self twice a week. Once in log-in day and once mid week just because my scale is there next to my shower.
  • Dessilicious
    Dessilicious Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? 1800ccal is way too much if you are tiny. What do you mean by hard cardio?
    I'd stick to 1400ccal on workout days but that's me and I'm short.
    2.5lbs is nothing to worry about though. But watch the tendencies and make alterations as you go.
    Good luck!
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    How often do you weigh yourself? I find that I get a much more accurate picture of my weight loss when I weigh myself daily and log it into the app Happy Scale which then gives me a moving average of my weight. Your weight can fluctuate up and down for so many different reasons so for all you know it was down yesterday and you just had a bit too much sodium and now you’re holding onto water weight.
  • bemyyfriend0918
    bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I think that 2lbs a week is way too high of a goal for someone your weight.

There is a really simple calculation that has always worked for me when focusing on weight loss. It is outlined in the beach body lifestyle manual. (the makers of P90x and LIIFT4).
    1. On days you don't workout at all, your body will naturally burn 12x your body weight.
    2. On days you work out moderately, your body will burn 13x your body weight.
    3. On days you work out intensely, your body will burn 14x your body weight.

Those calculations are extremely rough. They are very simplistic calculations that don’t account for things like daily activity and exercise separately.

I’ve tried their calculations in the past and always have to bump up, because they have me losing weight rapidly and it makes me feel icky. I’m fairly active and those calculations just don’t take that into account.

They are rough, and very basic. However, they worked better for me. MFP suggested I eat 1900 cals a day. It wasn't working. This calculation much more closely got me to where I wanted to be :)

to each their own!
  • SoleilxStitch
    SoleilxStitch Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    hmm, you could be eating one food regularly, in particular, that is high in sodium and not realise it? I would check through your food diary and see if there are any days where it seems high.