Runners: Do you consider the dew point?

Options
I had a really bad run this morning. I managed to go my whole 2.9 mile route, but I had to walk more than usual, and by the end, I felt like I was going to puke (luckily, I didn't!). When I got back into my house, I looked at the weather. It was 74 degrees with a 74 degree dew point and 95% humidity. I decided to look up some info on dew points, and found this interesting chart at the bottom of this page: http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/training-heat

So it got me to wondering, do you alter your running schedule based on dew point? I've been fine running in 100% humidity when the dew point is lower, but today, with the dew point at the same temp as the actual temperature, it was obviously too much for me.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Now you know why I like to get out around 5AM, generally cooler and fresher.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it in the respect that it changes my plan. The plan is the plan (which is usually to run early, like Brian), but if I do choose to go later and have to deal with high temperature and humidity, I alter my pace according. I try to run by effort. My pace on a hot and humid day is going to be slower than a cooler day, but I can keep my level of effort the same.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It was 74 degrees with a 74 degree dew point and 95% humidity
    Welcome to my pain. That is the temp and dewpoint every morning here in Georgia. By afternoon the dewpoint may drop to around 70 but the temp is up to 90+. From June to Sept there is never a comfortable time to run.

I run by heartrate so I just alter/slow the pace to keep it where I want it to be. This year I have also started moving some of my runs to a treadmill so I can keep up with some work at pace.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Just for the record, when the temperature and the dew point are the same, the relative humidity is by definition, 100%.
  • sukiwabi
    sukiwabi Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i do. when it's that bad out i get triggered from a respiratory standpoint and start wheezing like crazy. last night i ran when it was horribly humid and i regretted it. i just had no other time to run, so i went even though i know i shouldn't have. i do go easier on myself under those conditions and don't chastise myself if a 20 steps of walking or so will get me through without needing to hit an inhaler for rescue.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    My options in life are:
    Run in the morning with 79 degree and 95% humidity

OR
    Run in the evening with 95 degrees and 60% humidity

BOTH SUCK!!!!! But the first evil sucks maybe marginally less.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Welcome to my pain. That is the temp and dewpoint every morning here in Georgia. By afternoon the dewpoint may drop to around 70 but the temp is up to 90+. From June to Sept there is never a comfortable time to run.

I run by heartrate so I just alter/slow the pace to keep it where I want it to be. This year I have also started moving some of my runs to a treadmill so I can keep up with some work at pace.

In NC so I feel your pain...
  • srwsunfire
    srwsunfire Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I live in MS and the last week or so the heat index has been over 100.
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    My options in life are:

OR

In northeast Florida and this is my reality as well...although a smide warmer in the AM (around 82 in the AM). It's all hellish, but I find earlier in the AM preferrable....a lesser circle of hell, if you will. Still hell...
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options

In NC so I feel your pain...

I'm in NC too. My morning Saturday run last weekend was absolutely terrible with the humidity..
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I just found it interesting that it's not the percentage of humidity or even the temp, necessarily, that's the issue. It's the dew point. I've run in high humidity before (percentage wise), but I think I'm going to limit my running to 72 or lower dew point. I do run in the mornings, but I was about an hour later than normal this morning. I expect the dew point still would have been bad an hour earlier though. I actually love the summer weather here in NC, but now that I'm running, I am looking forward to the fall a lot more than usual!!!
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    My options in life are:

OR

You are speaking the truth! Thankfully it's cooled off the last two weeks in NYC but for awhile I was running in 85 degrees and 95% humidity at 8am!

I just had to slow down my pace and not beat myself up for having a tough run. Thanking God that Fall is drawing near.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I just found it interesting that it's not the percentage of humidity or even the temp, necessarily, that's the issue. It's the dew point. I've run in high humidity before (percentage wise), but I think I'm going to limit my running to 72 or lower dew point. I do run in the mornings, but I was about an hour later than normal this morning. I expect the dew point still would have been bad an hour earlier though. I actually love the summer weather here in NC, but now that I'm running, I am looking forward to the fall a lot more than usual!!!

Well, remember the table is related to dew point and temperature being close.

And actually, different people have different worse uses.

Some folks notice they don't sweat much ever, so hotter and less humidity for sweat to provide more cooling wouldn't matter to them, so they could take the cooler but high humidity and dewpoint morning and be just fine with it.

Some of us start sweating lacing up the shoes as body preps, so reverse of that may work a lot better, just gotta watch out for dehydration then.

Of course, this is all a null point if you go by HR or intensity type training, rather than pace based sessions.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    If I'm scheduled to run, I run. Dew point. . . is for bragging rights.
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I don't conider anything, I just run. Unless its raining heavy.
  • bubblygoldfish
    bubblygoldfish Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm in a hot place too. That's why i run at "oh the sunrise is pretty today" time. Just light enough to see, but no way it's hot yet. Thank goodness!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    When I'm in training and it's important I don't miss too many runs, I'm up at 0430 and out the door by 5am. I live in New Zealand, and it's hellishly warm and humid in summer. When it's too hot, the only other option I have is to tank it out on the cross trainer I have in my garage, an put the fan on. It's a poor substitute, but it's the best one I have.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    So once I set my plan in action for when I'm going to run I can't generally change it. I've been run commuting home from the office with my daughter 3 or 4 days a week. My only crteria for making the plan in the morning is that it is probably not going to rain. So I'm pushing about 80 (30lb stroller, 40 lbs of 3 yearold, 10 lbs of random stuff she needed to take with her) at 4:30 at night and sometimes it's pretty humid and awful. I don't usually check before I head out, but notice how hard it is to push the stroller right away (pushing the stroller is easy early mornings when it is cool with low humidity). My pace naturally slows and when I get to the hills at the 3 mile mark that last for 2 miles, I generally have to take walking breaks. You got to do what you got to do.

In a perfect world, I would just run when the weather is cooler and less humid, so early morning.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I run in all weather. Heat, wind, rain and snow. The only time I don't is if it's dangerous due to the conditions. I adjust the pace depending on those conditions. That's the fun of running outside the unpredictability otherwise you may as well be on a treadmill
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I consider dew point all summer for any activity. It doesn't mean I won't head out, it just means I may have to adjust things a little. I have always hears that dew points over 70 are considered "oppressive," and I believe it.