How to quit smoking??

Options
1235»

Replies

• saresimsr36
    saresimsr36 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I quit 4.5 months ago, I got a prescription from the doctor for a stop smoking aid. I wouldn't be able to stop any other way
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options
    I have never been a smoker - except for 1 or 2 when I was a silly young teenager.

But I would never so Easy, just stop.
    Addiction is hard to break.

My husband gave up using hypnotherapy. Went from a packet a day to nothing overnight.
    November 1992 - and never smoked another cigarette again.

I know it won't work for everyone but was instant magic result for him. Best money he ever spent.
  • airforceman1978
    airforceman1978 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I tried patches for about 4 days then got pissed at trying to keep them on. So I went cold Turkey after that was 2.5 packs a day. It has been almost 10 years now and there are still times I want one but not bad just a passing thought
  • yourfitnessenemy
    yourfitnessenemy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew. The patch takes the edge off, but I always fall back on this habit. Those who say “just quit” have obviously never struggled with addiction before.
  • sflano1783
    sflano1783 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yes I don't smoke now but very addicted to the nicorette oral spray. 😞
  • Lila3701
    Lila3701 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For me, I used lozenges for a month or so. After that, I had to just break the association of craving/relief. I told myself that the way I was feeling during a craving was finite, and my brain was trying to trick me into thinking I’d be miserable forever without nicotine and that wasn’t true, and I just had to rewire it to send a different message. I tried to think of myself as a non-smoker, since being “a smoker” was part of my identity for so long.

I had a fuzzy, feverish feeling for the first few days, along with general misery and irritability, but it was better after that, and kept getting better. It’s been seven years now smoke-free. Best of luck to you!
  • sflano1783
    sflano1783 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Lila3701 wrote: »
    For me, I used lozenges for a month or so. After that, I had to just break the association of craving/relief. I told myself that the way I was feeling during a craving was finite, and my brain was trying to trick me into thinking I’d be miserable forever without nicotine and that wasn’t true, and I just had to rewire it to send a different message. I tried to think of myself as a non-smoker, since being “a smoker” was part of my identity for so long.

I had a fuzzy, feverish feeling for the first few days, along with general misery and irritability, but it was better after that, and kept getting better. It’s been seven years now smoke-free. Best of luck to you!

Thats something I wanted to hear im going to try it myself quit using nicotine.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I wish I knew. The patch takes the edge off, but I always fall back on this habit. Those who say “just quit” have obviously never struggled with addiction before.

You're wrong about that. I say "just quit" because I struggled with this addiction, attempting unsuccessfully to quit for many years. Quitting nicotine was the hardest thing I ever did since the day I was born, bar none. Cigarettes were followed by years of nicotine replacement products which I found even more addicting than cigarettes. One day after so many years of all that BS a lightbulb went off and I realized "If you want to quit nicotine you have to f'ing quit" and then I quit. The next three days were torture but then it was over and I had my life back.

"Just quit" can save someone years of frustration and wasted time, because, when all is said and done, every ex-nicotine addict had one specific day when they stopped using nicotine forever, and the only real question for someone who wants to get out from under nicotine is when that day's gonna be.

You can't half-quit nicotine. It doesn't work that way. Smoking less, or trading cigs for lozenges or sprays, doesn't work; all it does is postpone the inevitable and, perhaps, make quitting even harder, as was the case for me. At some point, you have to be brave and strong and grab a battle axe and just charge into the field and slay the nicotine monster. You have to "just quit".

Once again I recommend Carr's book "The Easy Way To Quit Smoking". That book has saved countless lives and cardiovascular systems.
  • Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Chantix - 1 1/2 pk a day Husband 3 pack a day, about 10 yrs ago!
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Personalization!! Nothing that I or anybody here say will make a damn bit of difference in your efforts. It all comes down to making whatever motivations and methods used strictly and entirely your's!!! Next month will mark ten years of success for me!! After everything I ever tried to do to stop smoking previously, it came down to rage, internalized rage!! I got so pissed off at myself for that last failure that it stoked a fire I didn't know I had!! I knew I had to do this so that I would never have to listen to anyone ever talk to me about smoking. It was the only way. After smoking my last on Jan. 3rd 2010, I decided never again...and I never did!! And along the way I found that each and every obstacle that could have caused me to smoke again was a mirage, FAKE! Soon smoking became a distant unpleasant memory. Quitting is insanely doable!! Find YOUR reasons, YOUR way and just do it!! Nevermind others!!!

• s_rivera_92
    s_rivera_92 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If you need a support buddy when you quit, feel free to send me a message and friend me! Took a week for me to cut down from a little over a pack and a half to 4 a day. And I literally smoked 3 within the first hour of waking up in the morning. Going to go cold turkey tomorrow. (Christmas present to myself... and I wont be at work.) :)

What has helped me was a similar post I made here a few days ago (the kind and direct replies), support from loved ones, and a smoking cessation app. (I downloaded two free ones and they both have meters that fill up the longer you go without smoking. They show things such as blood pressure normalizing, heart rate normalizing, taste buds returning, etc).

When I want to smoke, I remind myself (vanity reason) that they cause fat to be deposited in the stomach area, don't allow insulin levels to normalize, and that smokers have a higher stomach fat than people of the same height and weight. I also remind myself that all the cardio I'm doing could be so much easier/better if I had more lung capacity (improves after the first month of quitting). Also, think of the money you'll save/be able to reward yourself with. 😅

And honestly, I've tried to quit before (once for 9 days, once for 15 days) and the biggest thing I've noticed this time is... if I don't smoke in the morning with my coffee, I can go a long time without thinking about one. But as soon as I smoke the first one of the day, I crave another. The second time I tried to quit, I quit two weeks. Then on the 15th day I went out for drinks, and that was it. I bummed one at the restaurant and on the way home I bought a pack. I was immediately was hooked again. So, avoid drinking the first month or situations that will tempt you.

I brew myself green tea with lemon juice and ginseng (supposedly helps with cravings) and I sip water or chew gum when I really want one. I'm trying to go to the gym in the morning instead of at night so I'm not tempted to smoke in the morning (I moved in with my parents when my husband deployed and they're pack a day smokers so I always have access). Like, its extremely hard to quit... but... (cliché) you'll thank yourself later on down the road.
  • tracine0711
    tracine0711 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You have to want to, period. If you don't fully want to then nothing will work.
    I tried it all and failedmany times until I was ready. I then used the patches and have been smoke free for 3 months alms patch free for 2 months. I smoked for 20yrs