Question to cyclists, does anyone uses Wahoo fitness app?

Options
The reason i ask, mine is not working correctly. I use it for cadence data, as my bike computer doesn't have one. So it's an add on. Except it doesn't automatically pauses when i stop, like for a traffic light. So the time and speed are messed up. I would like to see the info on my riding app to match the same parameters at least, is that too much to ask? Also, when i was setting up the wahoo cadence and speed sensors ( second one my bike, I'm not sure why i bothered) i carefully measured the wheel, as required for set up for distance. Fully inflated, two different ways, with rolling on the floor and actually running the measuring tape over the wheel while the bike was on the rack, it comes with pretty big difference for the distance. It is giving me an extra 0.65 mi for 31 and a change miles ride. I think it's too much of a difference versus my actual mileage. Does anyone have experienced anything like that with wahoo app? I tried different things and can't get it to work correctly. Do you guys have any suggestions or solutions for it?

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    The reason i ask, mine is not working correctly. I use it for cadence data, as my bike computer doesn't have one. So it's an add on. Except it doesn't automatically pauses when i stop, like for a traffic light. So the time and speed are messed up. I would like to see the info on my riding app to match the same parameters at least, is that too much to ask? Also, when i was setting up the wahoo cadence and speed sensors ( second one my bike, I'm not sure why i bothered) i carefully measured the wheel, as required for set up for distance. Fully inflated, two different ways, with rolling on the floor and actually running the measuring tape over the wheel while the bike was on the rack, it comes with pretty big difference for the distance. It is giving me an extra 0.65 mi for 31 and a change miles ride. I think it's too much of a difference versus my actual mileage. Does anyone have experienced anything like that with wahoo app? I tried different things and can't get it to work correctly. Do you guys have any suggestions or solutions for it?

I don't use wahoo fitness but I do have it on my phone and sometimes use it in conjunction with my Kickr Snap. In terms of your first point what you're looking for is "auto pause". It looks like if you go into the settings you can turn auto pause on.

In terms of the wheel measurement it's probably asking you for a the circumference of your wheel - or more specifically, the circumference with your wheel with a tire on. A fairly simple google search (wahoo fitness wheel size) netted a link to how to do that on wahoo fitness. You can find that here. Essentially you tried made things harder than you needed to, all you need to do is select the measurement in mm that corresponds with your tire. Wahoo made that really easy for you as there's a size chart within the app, but there's another one here (among other places). It also sounds like you have two speed sensors on your bike. If for some reason the app is connecting to both that could be an issue (though I can't imagine it would allow itself to do that).

• icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

I don't use wahoo fitness but I do have it on my phone and sometimes use it in conjunction with my Kickr Snap. In terms of your first point what you're looking for is "auto pause". It looks like if you go into the settings you can turn auto pause on.

In terms of the wheel measurement it's probably asking you for a the circumference of your wheel - or more specifically, the circumference with your wheel with a tire on. A fairly simple google search (wahoo fitness wheel size) netted a link to how to do that on wahoo fitness. You can find that here. Essentially you tried made things harder than you needed to, all you need to do is select the measurement in mm that corresponds with your tire. Wahoo made that really easy for you as there's a size chart within the app, but there's another one here (among other places). It also sounds like you have two speed sensors on your bike. If for some reason the app is connecting to both that could be an issue (though I can't imagine it would allow itself to do that).

To clarify, I have it set on auto pause in the settings, with the announcement on as well. It's not pausing anyway, counting all the time, including when stopped as riding time, adding minutes to my time. And i measured the circumference with the tire on, of course, fully inflated. So it should be given correct distance. It doesn't. And the speed sensors don't cross over. Wahoo can only read it's own sensor, but because time is screwed up, so is the speed
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

To clarify, I have it set on auto pause in the settings, with the announcement on as well. It's not pausing anyway, counting all the time, including when stopped as riding time, adding minutes to my time. And i measured the circumference with the tire on, of course, fully inflated. So it should be given correct distance. It doesn't. And the speed sensors don't cross over. Wahoo can only read it's own sensor, but because time is screwed up, so is the speed

Again, you don't need to measure it with a measuring tape (I suspect that's part of your issue), what you need to do is find out what size of tire you have and use the mm. On the sidewall of your tire it should say something like 700x28c or 26x1.75. You then look at the links of tire sizes and find the mm and plug that into your app.

From a quick search it looks like your auto-pause could be related to using GPS. From Wahoo's website
    Auto-pause is a feature of the Wahoo Fitness App that automatically pauses your workout when you stop running or riding. Auto-pause is meant to be used with a Wahoo Stride Sensor or a Wahoo Speed/Cadence Sensor and will not work with the use of GPS.
    That's personally a bit odd to me but there's a potential answer for you. There are other free apps you could use, Strava being the most popular (though it looks like their auto-pause feature is less than functional).
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend Strava as well. It has a couple features that most cyclists find motivating and compelling.

I have auto pause turned off. My reasoning probably doesn't apply, but it's ok to not use it.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I use wahoo speed and cadence sensors and I do use the wahoo app (amongst other things). The speed and cadence sensors seem to work fine for me and what I see on the wahoo app matches up as well as I would expect to other apps/devices - some of which are connected to the sensors and some of which aren’t. I set mine up with the tire size as mentioned above. I didn’t measure anything. I don’t use auto pause for anything so I can’t comment on that.