Changing goal

Options
How do I change my goals to maintenance right on here while recovering from surgery? I can't figure out changing the goal to include the calories I'll need to heal properly. I know I have soooooo many suggestions for you all this week.

Replies

• r0ck3rgirl
    r0ck3rgirl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    r0ck3rgirl wrote: »
    How do I change my goals to maintenance right on here while recovering from surgery? I can't figure out changing the goal to include the calories I'll need to heal properly. I know I have soooooo many suggestions for you all this week.

Oops I meant I have so many questions
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Why do you need calories to heal properly? I understand avoiding certain foods or needing more specific macros with some surgeries, but I don't understand the idea of needing more calories. You need to consumer more if you burn more. If that is the case, I would log the source of burn and leave goal the same. Is your doctor telling you that you need to gain weight after the surgery?
  • r0ck3rgirl
    Options
    Maybe I was not clear. I'm not trying to GAIN weight I'm trying to maintain my current right during healing but 1100 calories a day that I'm currently eating isn't recommended for healing from surgery.
  • lilacsinawindow
    lilacsinawindow Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    On desktop, click My Home, then the Goals tab. Here you can enter a custom calorie goal, or alternatively you can click the blue letters at the top that say View Guided Setup. At the bottom, choose "Maintain my current weight" as your goal.

I hope your recovery goes well!
  • r0ck3rgirl
    Options
    On desktop, click My Home, then the Goals tab. Here you can enter a custom calorie goal, or alternatively you can click the blue letters at the top that say View Guided Setup. At the bottom, choose "Maintain my current weight" as your goal.

Thank you. This is exactly what I needed was tp know how to change the goal temporarily.
  • r0ck3rgirl
    Options
    I got it changed to maintain current weight for the next few weeks. It gave me about 400 extra calories which is good but without being a drastic increase
  • r0ck3rgirl
    Options
    I just thought it would be good to post what the surgeons answer was
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Why do you need calories to heal properly? I understand avoiding certain foods or needing more specific macros with some surgeries, but I don't understand the idea of needing more calories. You need to consumer more if you burn more. If that is the case, I would log the source of burn and leave goal the same. Is your doctor telling you that you need to gain weight after the surgery?

Being in a calorie deficit is very stressful on the body. Surgery is just that much more. Extra calories gives the body the energy it needs to heal properly and can increase the speed of recovery. Maintenance is a common suggestion for coming back from illness or a medical procedure.

^ This is how you do it. I, too, hope all goes well!

I misunderstood, I thought she was in maintenance now. When she posted that she is eating 1100 now (yes that is stressful; below recommended minimum for healthy eating) in response to my questions, that cleared it up.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I got it changed to maintain current weight for the next few weeks. It gave me about 400 extra calories which is good but without being a drastic increase

It's probably a good idea to prioritize protein during this time as well. It's so important for healing. I would aim for a minimum of 0.8 g of protein per pound of your goal weight.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

Being in a calorie deficit is very stressful on the body. Surgery is just that much more. Extra calories gives the body the energy it needs to heal properly and can increase the speed of recovery. Maintenance is a common suggestion for coming back from illness or a medical procedure.

^ This is how you do it. I, too, hope all goes well!

I misunderstood, I thought she was in maintenance now. When she posted that she is eating 1100 now (yes that is stressful; below recommended minimum for healthy eating) in response to my questions, that cleared it up.

Had a feeling there was a misunderstanding there. You’re always on top of this stuff. 🙂
  • r0ck3rgirl
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

It's probably a good idea to prioritize protein during this time as well. It's so important for healing. I would aim for a minimum of 0.8 g of protein per pound of your goal weight.

Thank you for the tip. I will. I even got some protein shakes in case the meds make me too nauseous to eat solids. I don't do great OB pain meds. They really upset by tummy
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Thank you for the tip. I will. I even got some protein shakes in case the meds make me too nauseous to eat solids. I don't do great OB pain meds. They really upset by tummy

They can be pretty hard on the stomach. Hopefully, you don't have to be on the pain medications for long.