Foods good for unclogging arteries

rpanjabi3759
rpanjabi3759 Posts: 4 Member
I would like to know which foods are good for unclogging arteries.

Replies

• nancyobrien5036
    nancyobrien5036 Posts: 4 Member
    I believe soluble fiber is particularly good for lowering cholesterol levels. Also, avoid sugar.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Ask for a referral to a registered dietician for some guidance. If you are so inclined to spend some time looking up some information, I would check out examine.com. They have lots of great information including the science behind it. If something is bunk and/or ineffective, they will say so.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 356 Member
    I would like to know which foods are good for unclogging arteries.

Veggies.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited October 2018
    Not a food but a supplement - Vitamin K2. Calcification of arteries is a huge issue in the US. We eat a lot of calcium in dairy. It's supposed to make bones stronger but it hasn't. Bone health is terrible in the US. Scientists figured out a few years ago that the missing ingredient for strong bones is Vitamin K2. It tells the body to deposit calcium in the bones, where it's needed. What they also found out is without K2 (something that our ancestors got a lot of in grass fed dairy and organ meats/head meats, etc., but isn't present in the modern diet), your body dumps calcium indiscriminately into your arteries! K2 is one of the best things you can do for your artery health.

You can get limited K2 in things like chicken legs, natto (Japanese fermented soy, Japanese hardly ever suffer from heart disease, likely because this Japanese staple is heavy in K2) and some cheeses like Gouda, but it's hard to get enough to make a difference for your artery health unless you supplement with it.

https://openheart.bmj.com/content/2/1/e000300

This review mentions several studies as citations.

Here's another article. It specifically mentions the MK-7 variety as the best to take (there are two varieties of K2, MK-4 and MK-7)

https://www.newhope.com/ingredients/k2-ascends-mountain-letter-vitamins
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited October 2018
    The ones you don't eat, mostly.

When you eat more calories than you burn, your body stores the excess as fat. So it's not really WHAT you eat but how many calories you are consuming.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,159 Member
    K2 supplementation sounds VERY important, esp since I’ve been told by my cardiologist that I have visible calcification.