Gaining strength in a deficit

Options
So I know I SHOULDN'T be gaining strength in a deficit, but I am...consistently. All my beginner gains should have maxed out a long time ago (I lifted for 5+ years) - and my re-gain of strength was pretty much over 4 months after I started lifting again (after 2 year hiatus)...I'm starting to break into PR territory at least once a week on a 1000 cal deficit.

How is this even happening? I seriously would like to know the science behind it, because I've
been told time and time again I should be losing muscle mass on that kind of deficit, and I agree.

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    dunno, but out of curiosity am going to follow to see what people say.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    RealWorldStrengthLLC Posts: 552 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Many factors can it be...

1. You have added volume and your training is optimal stimulas in relations to your short come back..
    2. Your form had been improved.
    3. Your PR territory was governed by bad programming.
    4. You're not actually in a 1000 calorie deficit.
    5. Your fatigue has disapated from lack of volume and you're body is responding with a peak.
    6. You didn't test a true PR previously.

Most of these don't equate to strength gains just better performance.

Without knowing your programming and training, there isn't much we can guess.

1. My training program is the same as when I came back to lifting in April.
    2. My form is solid...has been for years
    3. See 1
    4. I'm at a 1000 cal deficit. I'm losing 2lbs a week, like clockwork, and have been for over 2 months.
    5. See 1
    6. 2 months ago I struggle to deadlift 425 for 1. Yesterday I did 455 for 2 and probably had a 3rd in me. I know what weights I could lift, I write everything down - every set, every rep.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    Your previous PRs might not have been your true 100% effort (as in my case, kept PR'ing front squats despite being close to my lowest BW). Anecdotally, less common in pressing movements

Tracking your RPE (Relative Perceived Exertion) for a set might be a better way of determining/estimating what your true 1-rep max might be (don't know if you are estimating or actually performing 1-rep max; in my case, was judging my MAX based on what the heaviest weight I could do for 5 reps). Sure, what order you perform the lift with respect to other exercises in your workout is another variable to consider (stamina/fatigue)

How would one track RPE? My tracking formula is pretty simple, it's (example)

Squat - 5@225/5@315/5@315/4@315

Basically the exercise type, Reps@weight and a / between sets.

I would be interested to calculate RPE because I pretty much set a rep range or target, and if I can do more I add weight, if I can't hit the range I decrease weight.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    So I know I SHOULDN'T be gaining strength in a deficit, but I am...consistently. All my beginner gains should have maxed out a long time ago (I lifted for 5+ years) - and my re-gain of strength was pretty much over 4 months after I started lifting again (after 2 year hiatus)...I'm starting to break into PR territory at least once a week on a 1000 cal deficit.

How is this even happening? I seriously would like to know the science behind it, because I've
    been told time and time again I should be losing muscle mass on that kind of deficit, and I agree.

I'm no professional or anything similar but I've got a few theories...

1- It's definitely possible to build muscle in a deficit if you have enough fat stores to do it. However as you become leaner, your body becomes less and less efficient at burning fat simply because of the lack of availability throughout your body.

As this happens the glycogen stores within the muscles become more readily available for the body to burn in comparison to your dwindling fat stores.

You don't actually lose muscle tissue (outside of extreme circumstances), but you begin to lose the water stored within the muscle used for immediate energy... Less water/glycogen = less muscle mass = weaker

So if you have an abundance of fat stores, it's possible to lose fat in a deficit, while growing muscle tissue, because it's easily available for the body to utilize before really tapping glycogen stores.

Think... You CAN gain muscle in a deficit, you just CAN'T gain weight in a deficit.

I'll come back when I remember what my 2nd theory was lol

I am pretty overweight if I'm being honest. I'm sitting at 270ish right now (started at 301)...my athletic range (between 10% and 18% BF) IS 190-220.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Your previous PRs might not have been your true 100% effort (as in my case, kept PR'ing front squats despite being close to my lowest BW). Anecdotally, less common in pressing movements

Tracking your RPE (Relative Perceived Exertion) for a set might be a better way of determining/estimating what your true 1-rep max might be (don't know if you are estimating or actually performing 1-rep max; in my case, was judging my MAX based on what the heaviest weight I could do for 5 reps). Sure, what order you perform the lift with respect to other exercises in your workout is another variable to consider (stamina/fatigue)

How would one track RPE? My tracking formula is pretty simple, it's (example)

Squat - 5@225/5@315/5@315/4@315

Basically the exercise type, Reps@weight and a / between sets.

I would be interested to calculate RPE because I pretty much set a rep range or target, and if I can do more I add weight, if I can't hit the range I decrease weight.
    Pretty basic premise of RPE:
    z31cqaqb3lzg.png
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    According to that chart my RPE is definitely always at 8.5 or above, usually around 9.5. Good chart though, I might start tracking that
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    A lot of interesting points in this thread. However, I think the most simple thing has been missed. You gained a lot of weight. You are a lot bigger person now. And since you took so much time off you are essentially starting over. You new Weight Lifting plateau is naturally going to be at higher weight because you are now a bigger person. Regardless of how unhealthy you were during your weight gain, you didn't put on 100% blubber. You now have more muscle mass than you did before even though you went thru a lazy phase. So just like any strength progression you'll keep gaining until you hit your natural plateau, to me it makes sense that that plateau is now higher because you are bigger guy.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Gaining strength is not the same as gaining muscle. Strength come from muscle, yes, but it also comes from your muscles learning to work together effectively to perform a movement. The latter can happen without a change in muscle size—especially in beginners.