extremely morbidly obese and walking as exercise

Options
Started 6 months ago with 170 kg (375 pounds) - could barely walk a few hundred meters but continued to do my best since I didn't fit into / onto most gym equipment. By now I have lost about 25 kg (50 pounds) and continue to walk on average every second day. This morning I managed an hour and for this effort MFP calculated 375 calories burned. This sound very low to me - carrying a weight of 145 kg (320 pounds) around for an hour is quiet an effort, if I may say so. Never mind, I do enjoy simple exercises (walking, water aerobics), stick to the MFP calculated calories and macros and I am fully aware that it will take much more time to get down to a reasonably healthy weight. But 375 calories to carry 145 kg around for an hour? Not exactly motivating.

Replies

• DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I am a confused about your comment, you are upset that MFP didn't give you a higher number?
    Try other calculators and see what the results are:
    https://caloriesburnedhq.com/calories-burned-walking/
    I put in your numbers and it gave 475, you have to remember these calculators are poor estimates.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies. I can now walk up to 6 - 7 km in one go, which takes me nearly 2 hours. Usually I can walk 3 km. in about 40 to 45 minutes. Speed still slow, hoping to get better at it with further weight loss. Looking forward to more exercise, climbing Table Mountain again, (I live in Cape Town) long walks on the beaches. I am not upset about MFP calculations - just wondering how I can move such a bulk of weight for an hour and use only 375 calories - even a horse burns more calories to pull such a weight for an hour. I prefer to stay with one source of information - I know, there is an avalanche of calculations out there but I prefer the KISS approach..... Always interested to learn, figure out the "mystery of weight loss" - thank you MFP members.
  • neugebauer52
    Options
    Thank you estherdragon, an inspiring message. 106 pounds down, that sounds great! I know it can be done - one meal, a day at the time. Thank you MFP members for your feed back.
  • neugebauer52
    Options
    Thank you jogetsgains patience is a virtue they say.......
  • felixg1109
    felixg1109 Posts: 172 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Do you have anything like a fitness-watch or step-counter? On the one hand 375cal look low, on the other hand i remember from myself, that i was walking very slow with that amount of weight (and even a lot more). With losing kilos i raised my walking speed (and distance of cause). I mention it, because your first posts reads a little bit as "oh my god, how low will it be, when i am below 100kg?". Walking that distances will be much easier when you lost even more weight and you won't be that frustrated, simply because it will be not that hard for you to walk that distances anymore. In example i tend to do a "small walk" everyday (or at least every second) - and now for me a small walk is about 6-8km within one hour. When i remember that i started at not being able to walk even 100m without nearly dying...And if you look on 375cal on a normal weight it really seems a lot to eat ;-)...

Ah and by the way - i can tell you, that it's worth it. Keep going and change your life ;-)

(Do you have german relatives? I ask because your name is a typical german name)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Your speed WILL get better as you walk more and lose more, but don't depend on exercise as your main way to cut calories. Since you are heavy, small walking bouts throughout the day will feel easier and burn more. I started at 130 something kg and my walking speed was about 2.5 km per hour and I couldn't even dream to walk an entire hour (started with 5 minutes) so you're in a better place than me when I started. Now my average speed is about 5.2 km per hour, and that only gives me about 250 calories per hour and I'm still obese, will be even lower when I'm at my goal weight and I doubt my speed will increase much more, but distance is becoming easier and easier as I lose weight.

Most of my daily burn for the effort comes from walking around the house throughout the day. 2 minutes here, 5 minutes there, walking while waiting for the microwave, strolling around the house when I'm on the phone...etc. I get 200 calories doing what feels like nothing, and more if I put effort into moving more, and it still feels easier than continuous walking. This plus any other intentional walking/running I do for exercise can give me a decent burn. On days I have my "long" run I burn 500 calories during the run plus 200 calories from what is now a mindless habit of moving around the house a lot, I don't even need to think about it.

All of this is nothing if I don't control my eating. I can eat that 700 calories and more in one sitting. That's why exercise calories are there to just complement my diet and make it easier for me to lose weight without losing my mind because I get to eat more while losing at my desired pace. It's much easier to stick to my diet on days when I'm more active because I don't think I can live on 1500 calories long term.

• neugebauer52
    Options
    Thank you felix and monk - I am told (but would never admit to it) that I am one of the most impatient people this side of the Atlantic. I have my walking routes and - distances and have not bought any fancy watches / counters. Food is this special hook I have been hanging my soul onto. (Our dear son George Paul died shortly after birth and I ended up with 15 or so years of deep depression.) Some 7 years ago I had lost about 43 kg and ended on massive plateau for over a year. Did I go and see a dietitian? Oh now, I was much too clever... Eventually I put the weight back on. It was "only" an extra 130 calories a day or so, but over time it all added up. My walking speed is a little better, from a mostly sideways wobble to a rolling forward motion towards a general direction. And NO,NO,NO - no Germans here! (haha) Born in Austria, checked out a bit of the world and eventually settled in Cape Town a few years back. Winter is just about over here - for a change we had lots of rain, which did not inspire me to go for walks. Spring promises lovely walks on all the beaches we have here and maybe I will attempt to "climb" Table Mountain again one day. Thank you all MFP members for your feed back and support - maybe I am not the only one with a lot of weight to lose after all? :-)
  • cyaneverfat
    cyaneverfat Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Walking is the perfect workout for everyone! you can choose the speed, and distract yourself with your favourite music, look for symbolism in the world, pick flowers, take photo's of your favourite things that you come across... you can sit down and take a rest if you need it, then stand back up and continue walking when your breathing has returned to normal.

Good on you for giving it a go! I am so proud of you!!!
  • jogetsgains
    jogetsgains Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Food is this special hook I have been hanging my soul onto.

Yes 👆
    From childhood food was my best friend, my confidant, the only one I could count on every time to soothe and comfort me.
    It was terrifying to make that change. What would take its place? Who would I become? I was letting go of an integral part of me and was so scared of the unknown.
    Kudos to you for taking steps to change your paradigm with food. It takes so much courage to take that first step but you will build momentum as you go!🤗
  • neugebauer52
    Options
    jogetsgains - so true! When my father was beating me up as a small child I always knew that delicious food would sooth my soul. When the family was out, I would cut thick wedges of farmer's bread, add butter or mayonnaise, pile on salami, ham, cheese, you name it. Absolute heaven until I was so stuffed, I could barely move. I believe, that many (morbidly) obese people have or had a psychological situation in their lives which they try to cover with food / alcohol / drugs etc. The ideal support team would be a medical doc (blood tests), a psychologist, a dietitian and a training instructor who has been overweight as well for some time.
  • jogetsgains
    jogetsgains Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    That is good advice. Its a complex issue, it takes a complex solution.