A question for people who have stopped drinking diet drinks

Options

Replies

• MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I was a Diet Dr. Pepper addict. Seriously, it was bad.
    I went and bought some sugar free peach tea to add to my water and just started drinking those. Once I weened myself off of the Diet Dr. Peppers, I could feel a difference, but when I went from peach tea to water because I didn't like the calories in them was when I really felt it.
    If I drink even ONE Diet Dr. Pepper now, I can feel it, and it's not a good feeling.
  • carrie1610
    carrie1610 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Right, I have a plan, thanks to all the advice on here. First of all, I must must must stop drinking the diet coke!! I've just been shopping and bought some sparkling mineral water, some fresh limes to make the fruit-infused water suggested in post#2 and NO diet coke. :smile: I have 3 cans left in my fridge and I'm going to try to make them last as long as possible, probably one a day over the next 3 days making the gaps between each one longer and longer, then aim for no more.

The more I read about aspartame and other chemicals that I'm drinking regularly makes me more certain I do need to stop. Scary how addictive it is....
  • rrcorleto
    rrcorleto Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I never used to drink too much soda (1 can a day at lunch, or when we went out to eat), but when I did I used to drink regular soda. I looked at it as a nice treat I could afford myself since I didn't drink it too often, not to mention I wasn't thrilled with the taste of diet sodas. Now that I have started on my weight loss journey I have pretty much cut it out all together. I mainly drink water with or without a crystal lite powder added. What I wanted to point out though was that if you are missing the fizzy part of the soda Seagrams (and most likely others) makes a sparkling seltzer water with fruit flavors that is a nice change and gives me an option when I am in a "soda mood'. It is a bit hard to find but if you can you may want to give it a shot. I am partial to the orange citrus flavor.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I found that I munched when I drank my diet soda. When I tried to drink the diet sodas without snacks I found that I still "grazed". So when I quit them my weight loss actually improved. I occasionally have a soda these days ... not often, but occasionally and never diet. I've decided for me no artificial sweeteners. I generally drink water, coffee, or unsweet iced tea.
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I never really had THAT bad of a problem with diet soda, but I very, very rarely drink it anymore now because once I started getting healthier, I noticed how disgusting it makes me feel when I do drink it. It makes my stomach hurt and I feel bloated and "blah." Maybe give it up for a week or so, then have one just to see how your body responds. Really focus on how it makes your body feel afterward. That may be good motivation for you! It's not hard for me to pass up now because I would do pretty much anything to avoid the feeling it gives me.
  • deety3
    deety3 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have always had 5-6 diet cokes per day. A bad habit, I know, but I loved the taste and thought I needed it to start my day, get through my day, and finish my day.

Then I started seeing a dietician to try and get my weight under control. What she told me (I haven't seen the medical studies, so I'm going just based on what she said) was that the problem with diet sodas is that the low or no calorie sweetener that is used to make them taste good sends a message to the brain (a chemical response) to expect something sweet. Then, when your body doesn't actually receive any sugar, the brain reacts by sending a chemical response to CRAVE sweets. So the problem isn't actually the diet soda, it's how your body reacts to it.

That was an eye-opener for me! I immediately stopped all soda and started drinking water instead. It's been 6 months now, the weight is coming off pretty well, and I never did have any headaches or side effects from stopping the caffeine. I guess I was lucky in that.

Good luck in your journey!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    An interesting little thing I found online:

http://caloriecount.about.com/forums/motivation/water-vs-coke-off

I try to tell myself not to drink the "poison" lol

If you believe all of that, I have a bridge you may be interested in purchasing.
  • Fieldyvond
    Options
    one of the girls i work with goes through a 6 pack of fanta or pepsi a day.. i dont know how she does it!
    I only drink tea, green tea & water.
    Only time i have fizzy drinks is when it has alcohol in it! & i like it to be flat! Weird eh? :)
  • cuddlesmom17
    cuddlesmom17 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was an avid 3-4 regular sodas a day kind of girl. I have since quit. In fact, I do not drink any carbonated beverages anymore. I tried going with the whole "no caffeine" thing too but I ended up with such a migraine that I ended up in the ER. Anyway, since I have stopped the whole soda thing, my feet and ankles no longer swell, I no longer feel bloated and I no longer have acid reflux or heartburn nearly as much as I did before. I used to get heartburn anywhere from 2-3 different times a day at least 4 days a week. Now, I get it maybe once a week but just from something that I ate too late. I have also lost 12 pounds since the end of soda drinking. That in itself was a good enough reason for me. I used to like the taste of diet soda however, majority of diet sodas contain aspartame and I get severe migraines from it.
  • MandyJokl
    MandyJokl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I find if I drink a lot of diet coke or Pepsi it makes me depressed and snappy! the drink made me feel good but within an hour or so id be back feeling really down. Last week i was really snappy with my husband. But I got to the point where I stiil had to have at least one can or small bottle a day. I decided last week that I had to quit drinking it. I haven't had any all week. I can't believe how much better I feel. I've felt much happier and less stressed. My husband is a lot happier too cos I'm in a much better mood. I've actually lost weight this week too which is the first time in weeks and my rings have suddenly become looser so I think I am a lot less bloated.

I have been drinking lots of water instead.
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I drink water, tea and coffee. It wasn't hard to switch when I changed my focus on drinking other beverages. Coffee and tea especially fill me in such a way that I don't need soda. Also after being off the soda so long it's uncomfortable to drink such a bubbly beverage. It just doesn't go down smooth anymore.
  • LeanAmbitions
    Options
    I'm really curious, as I've never been a soda fan, and I never liked the taste of diet drinks. What is it, exactly, about diet coke that people find so addictive? Because I've seen so many threads on here about people who really struggle to give it up. Is it the taste? The fizzyness? The satisfying pshhhtt when you open the can? Are there physical withdrawals from the caffeine? What's the scoop?

I believe the aspartame was addictive for me. Regular soda didn't take care of the cravings and no other form of caffeine did either. It is a chemical so I guess it's very possible for it to be just as addictive as anything else.
  • golferd
    golferd Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey to water only. I might use lemon in it. I highly recommend you to start counting the days. The higher the number the harder to cheat. Yes, for a while I thought I was an AS member.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    nothing horrible about it, but it does trigger a sweet tooth for me... what's healthier a 300 lb person who drinks water or 160 lb person who drinks a can of coke?
  • sandy_gee
    sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I drink water with Mio. And at least one diet pepsi a day. I don't personally think it's a big deal, and it's not hindering this new lifestyle of mine, so I'm going to continue to enjoy my diet pepsi with dinner.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I read something once that said "you crave what you eat". Eating sweets makes you crave sweets. So drinking sweet flavored sodas makes you crave sweet as well, if you agree with that line of thought. And since your body can't tell artifically sweet from real sweet, my guess is drinking diet soda is going to lead to continual craving for sweet things.

Now. Having said all that. I still drink diet pepsi and as long as I drink all the water I'm supposed to throughout the day IN ADDITION to my diet pepsi fix, I'm not planning to change that.

That's my two cents worth on the subject.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I really want to stop drinking diet coke, but it's just so hard to do! I've been drinking it regularly for the last 20+ years and usually have 3-4 cans a day. I'm looking for motivation to stop drinking it altogether - those chemicals can't be good for me and I hate being so addicted to a drink!

So, my question is what effect on health/weight loss has stopping drinking diet drinks had for you? How do you feel you have benefited?

I discovered I was having very bad physical reactions from not only aspartame but also splenda. I had to stop for my health. Feeling better trumps the sweetener high.
    I haven't noticed a weight difference.

However, Whole foods has several different types of soda made with Stevia. They taste almost identical to diet sodas.
    They're more expensive, so I can't pound them down, but when I really want a soda, they're great.
  • foxyroxyross
    Options
    I agree with the other MFP's who say limiting your soda intake slowly is the best way. Anytime your addicted to something (with the exception of drugs /alcohol) cold turkey is a terrible way because you'll crave and binge. You have been drinking soda for 20 years you have to take it one day at a time or one week at a time. Before you know it you"ll be "free of the evil vices of diet soda" (in my evil voice)
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I used to be a heavy diet coke drinker, up to 6 cans a day as I was a night worker and thought I needed it to stay awake. Then, one week we hadn't gotten to the store and I had the worse headache that wouldn't quit. Turned out I was detoxing from all the caffeine. Decided then and there that I would decaffinate myself and switched to decaffeinated diet soda. Then I realized how much of my food budget went to soda and started weaning myself off that in favor of water. Now, I may drink 2 or 3 cans a week. As for the health benefits, I am sure there are many, the lack of carbonation , the aspartame or splenda that I am no longer consuming, and of course the no caffeine. It didn't affect my weight or stop sugar cravings.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Lately I've really gotten into fruit-infused water. Not "flavored water" that you buy. Real water with slices of lemon, lime, orange in it. Let it infuse overnight in the fridge.

I've also started drinking Perrier for when I'm really jonesing for the fizz.

Now THAT is a good idea, I'm going to try that with our homegrown lemons and oranges, don't know why I haven't before.

I'm down to one can of coke zero a day, I still don't think it's good for me but it's better than the litres I was putting away. I get gassy,headachy and my digestion suffers with too much of it.

I don't want to be an Aspartame alarmist but I reckon there is some truth in the warnings. It's in the dose, yes, but my gut feel (literally) says a can of full sugar coke is probably better for me.