What goes well with acorn squash?

Options
FL_Hiker
FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
Hi,
Acorn squash are super cheap right now and they’re so good! I tried making a stuffed acorn squash recipe with cheese, onions, and sausage but I didn’t really like all that stuff on top of the squash... the squash was so good by itself I felt it took away from it. I’m thinking of instead making the squash as a side and accompanying it with some sort of meat. Problem is I don’t know what flavors really compliment acorn squash lol. Crock pot recipes for the meat dish would be a plus. Any suggestions?

Replies

• AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Acorn squash soup!!! https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/229087/roasted-acorn-squash-soup/

I like plain old oven roasted acorn squash with a pork loin - I like this recipe, very open ended. https://memeinge.com/blog/crock-pot-pork-tenderloin/
  • FL_Hiker
    Options
    AJB1014 wrote: »
    Acorn squash soup!!! https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/229087/roasted-acorn-squash-soup/

I like plain old oven roasted acorn squash with a pork loin - I like this recipe, very open ended. https://memeinge.com/blog/crock-pot-pork-tenderloin/

Good ideas thanks!!!!
  • OddDitty
    OddDitty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Try stuffing them!
  • FL_Hiker
    edited October 2018
    Options
    OddDitty wrote: »
    Try stuffing them!

I did... I put sausage, onions, hamburger, garlic and cheese. I didn't care for all that stuff inside the squash, it seemed to take away from it to me.
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    My favorite dinner is almost always squash, brown rice and diced chicken...yum!
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Pork, chicken, sausages, roasted brussel sprouts, leafy greens, etc... I serve it with the same foods as I would sweet potatoes or carrots.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,623 Member
    Options
    I would probably roast or microwave, then scoop out the flesh to mash like potato to make a healthier carb side, I also make gnocchi from microwaved squash. Google squash gnocchi for recipes.
  • FL_Hiker
    edited October 2018
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    I would probably roast or microwave, then scoop out the flesh to mash like potato to make a healthier carb side, I also make gnocchi from microwaved squash. Google squash gnocchi for recipes.

I microwave it but i just eat it out of the “shell”, it’s good like that. I’m just looking for a meat to accompany it. I’m not really sure what flavor spices would go well with it on the meats.
  • ptlp
    ptlp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like to add fresh orange juice to acorn squash. A bit of olive oil. Yum.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    A roasted chicken goes really well and is super easy. Just put the chicken in to roast at 375 and then about 20-30 minutes later put in the squash halves. They are done at about the same time. I usually pair this with a green salad or steamed veggie like broccoli. Since acorn squash is a bit higher in carbs I normally don't do potatoes or rice at the same time. Plus, with the whole roasted chicken you have lots of leftovers for other meals (unless you have a big family).

My mom used to put butter and brown sugar inside during roasting, but that's too sweet for me and I don't need the extra calories. I usually just spritz with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. It's yummy without adding anything extra.

Bon Appetit!
  • Nicksmom106
    Nicksmom106 Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    A roasted chicken goes really well and is super easy. Just put the chicken in to roast at 375 and then about 20-30 minutes later put in the squash halves. They are done at about the same time. I usually pair this with a green salad or steamed veggie like broccoli. Since acorn squash is a bit higher in carbs I normally don't do potatoes or rice at the same time. Plus, with the whole roasted chicken you have lots of leftovers for other meals (unless you have a big family).

My mom used to put butter and brown sugar inside during roasting, but that's too sweet for me and I don't need the extra calories. I usually just spritz with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. It's yummy without adding anything extra.

Bon Appetit!

Sounds so yummy!!!! I totally agree it's great on its own but either chicken or pork would work best i think....maybe some haddock or salmon if you'd like fish...for seasoning a dash of butter or olive oil and cinnamon or nutmeg are great in fall! 🍁🍂🌻 now I'm craving acorn squash!!lol😝

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    chicken, pork, beef, lamb, or sausage all would go well with acorn squash.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Roasted chicken (especially chicken thighs, bone in skin on) are probably my favorite thing to pair with acorn squash. I also prefer roasted acorn squash (or any winter squash) to microwaved and it's about as straightforward as roasting chicken thighs.

And now that you've put that in my head dinner/potentially lunch next week will involve that along with roasted brussels sprouts.