Fat Macro

Options
MFP has my fat macro target at 47g a day. That seems high to me. I once had a personal trainer tell me I should shoot for no more than 25. That's feeling a little impossible for me at this point, since I've cut a large amount of processed carbs from my diet, which is where I was getting lots of low-fat foods previously.

I'm 5'4", 190 lbs, female, 31.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    I'm 140lbs. My goal is 57g fat, I usually get around 75g-85g. That's just how I like to eat. Lower carbs higher fat.

Fat doesn't make you fat, it's all about calories.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Well if you go by the RDA, Total fats should be 20-35% of your total calorie intake for the day. (From Institute of Medicine of the National Academies
    https://www.nap.edu/read/10490/chapter/10)
  • jmc930
    jmc930 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU everyone. I feel WAY better about my eating now.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I’ve always done better on a higher-fat diet. Now I’m happy and healthy on keto, with fat grams most typically between 130-170. If someone recommended 25g to me, I’d frankly just assume they don’t know that different people are different, and disregard their advice.

When it comes to eating, do what works. If you can stay within your calories and you feel good and you’re happy and your doctor doesn’t raise any concerns, who says which number is optimal really isn’t a factor for you. If, on the other hand, one of the pieces I listed hasn’t fallen into place, playing around with your macros might be the solution.
  • jmc930
    jmc930 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    jflongo wrote: »
    jmc930 wrote: »
    MFP has my fat macro target at 47g a day. That seems high to me. I once had a personal trainer tell me I should shoot for no more than 25. That's feeling a little impossible for me at this point, since I've cut a large amount of processed carbs from my diet, which is where I was getting lots of low-fat foods previously.

If that is what your trainer told you, I would find a new one :wink:

I haven't worked out with her in six years. :)
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    jmc930 wrote: »

I am shorter than you and weigh less than you but eat much more than 47 grams of fat a day in maintenance. Even when losing fat made up between 30-35% of my diet. You will be fine on 47 grams of fat a day if that is doable for you with satiety and enjoyment of food.