Menopause & losing 130 lbs. Need friends

Options
Looking for buddies who are serious about losing a lot of weight to get healthy. I'm, Shannon, 48 yrs. and going through menopause, hypothyroidism and taking meds that can make you gain weight. I want to focus on the goal at hand and overcome all my challenges. So far I've lost 9 lbs. Not much but hey you've got to start somewhere. I'm 5'3" and 273 currently. I have two goals. Short term: 200 and long term: 140. I want to be at 200 or less by the time I'm 50. I think that's a reasonable goal: 73 lbs in a year and half. Of course more would be better. But I'm trying to be reasonable. Anyhow feel free to add me.

Replies

• josiereside1
    josiereside1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to lose (maybe 10 pounds) but I am also going through menopause (53 years old) and hypothyroid on NP Thyroid. Willing to offer support if you like!
  • swatson99
    swatson99 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to lose (maybe 10 pounds) but I am also going through menopause (53 years old) and hypothyroid on NP Thyroid. Willing to offer support if you like!

Of course! I'd like that. Even ten pounds is a great accomplishment when you have things working against you like your thyroid and menopause. Kudos to you for nipping it in the bud early on instead of waiting like I did.
  • josiereside1
    Options
    I have struggled with my weight most of my life. Typical yoyo dieter here, fad dieter, etc.... I have been as low as in the 120s in my younger years (but through starvation diets) to as high as 180s. Currently hovering in the low 150s. Discovered IIFYM about a year or so ago and when I adhere to it, it works great for me. I had a really bad 2 years. My mom past February 2017. I had a great accomplishment and ran my first marathon in February 2018 to honor her. You don't lose weight training for a marathon. In fact I gain... your body requires so many more calories and if you are not tracking they add up. Then in March of this year I went in for routine/elective gynecological surgery for endometriosis. Three days later ended up with an emergency colostomy. Thankfully that was able to be reversed but also took a toll on my body. But I am here fighting to get my body back!
  • swatson99
    swatson99 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Josie, sounds like you've really been through it. So sorry for your lost and troubles you've been through. Hope only good things are on the horizon for you! I don't know much about the macro dieting but I definitely need to check it out. It sounds balanced.
  • josiereside1
    Options
    swatson99 wrote: »
    Josie, sounds like you've really been through it. So sorry for your lost and troubles you've been through. Hope only good things are on the horizon for you! I don't know much about the macro dieting but I definitely need to check it out. It sounds balanced.

Macros are great because nothing is off limits as long as it fits your number!