How do I reduce sugar cravings?

Before I get into it, I would like to mention that I try and keep my diet as clean as possible and try to stay away from processed foods, fast foods and such.

My biggest concern is sugar.
I could live just with sweets, no food and I replace them with fruits as much as possible and sometimes even eat more carbs than I should that come mainly from the fruits.

Also my protein intake is half of what it should be, I just don’t feel the need for food and forget about it. I feel hungry and I do love food but I am so focused on that sweet tooth.

The question is, how do I reduce those cravings and hit my macros?

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    I found that having protein earlier in the day and less carbs helps my cravings. When I have carbs early in the day I crave them all day long. I still have chocolate everyday and hit my protein goal every day. I have a 30/35/35 macro split
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited October 2018
    Try to focus more on getting more of the stuff you need, rather than focusing on too much sugar.

You say you are low in protein, so pre-log your meals and snacks and build them around protein. Focus on getting that in line. Protein tends to be filling, so you might find it will help with your cravings too.

Are you eating enough veggies? Fiber? Fat? Focus on getting all of those categories in line, and let the good naturally push out the bad.

I found pre-logging and having positive goals (I need more of this) rather than negative goals (I'm not allowed to have this) was a game changer. I think sometimes people get obsessed with what they think they have to give up and it's like a craving self-fulfilling prophesy.

A reasonable amount of sweet treats is fine, as long as they are not keeping you from a balanced diet and leaving you hungry. Hopefully you can work your way towards a balance. Good luck!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Fflpnari wrote: »
    I found that having protein earlier in the day and less carbs helps my cravings. When I have carbs early in the day I crave them all day long. I still have chocolate everyday and hit my protein goal every day. I have a 30/35/35 macro split

I agree with this. I hit around 40 grams of protein at breakfast. If I have a carb-loaded breakfast like pancakes or something, I am much more snacky/cravy throughout the day.
  • bvff35
    bvff35 Posts: 74 Member
    I don't crave as many sweets since have been taking magnesium supplements and no other changes but I would check with your physician to make sure that would be okay for you. I learned that many adults are deficient in magnesium. Also could just try increasing higher magnesium foods in your diet.