No one talks about fat atrophy in the foot? Why?

Options
No one talks about fat atrophy in the foot? Why?

It seems as though mine has been coming on for years now, and at this point, I've been in constant pain for the past 5 months.

The dr has me in padded orthotics, taking Advil before spin class, and icing my foot a couple of times a day. I've also used steroids for pain relief.

How come it's not talked about more openly here? I did a search; am I the only one who suffers from this?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it. Care to educate me?
  • aurolena
    aurolena Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it's because it's commonly linked to aging and relatively unknown. People don't like talking about those "aging aches and pains", or they just don't know the pain they feel is a thing that CAN be treated (unless it's severe).

I've heard it's a problem in diabetics but only as a threat... Like "If you don't watch that sugar you'll end up like this!" and other scare tactics. :/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it. Am I understanding correctly that you're specifically talking about losing fat from the bottom of your foot, so there's less cushion? That does sound painful.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it either.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Don’t know what you mean? If you’re severely obsese, it is common to lose weight in the feet as well as other body area. I didn’t think of it as s major issue yo be openly discussed.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it. I don't think there's any conspiracy to keep it secret or anything. Maybe it's just not that common.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Replying to this because I'd never heard of Fat Pad Atrophy, and because I get to quote a source with the intriguing name of Lower Extremity Review:
    Aging and a number of medical conditions can lead to atrophy of the fat pads under the heel and forefoot, which often causes considerable pain. Cushioned footwear and orthoses are mainstays of treatment, but research also supports the use of fat grafting in recalcitrant cases.

The plantar fat pad serves as a cushion and a means of absorbing shock, but as individuals age it begins to atrophy. Like the tread of a tire, the heel fat pad can thin over time, often so much that a patient experiences heel pain that interferes with productivity and daily activities.

“The higher the mileage we have on our feet, the more likely it is that the fat pads begin to wear out,” said James Hanna, DPM, New York State Podiatric Medical Association Board of Trustees, who practices in Lockport, NY.

A normal, healthy fat pad measures 1 to 2 cm in thickness. Patients who have plantar fat pad atrophy—when the fat pad measures less than 1 cm—may be asymptomatic, but others may present with the disturbing sensation that they are almost walking on bone. In patients with diabetes, heel fat pad atrophy is particularly problematic, since it may increase the risk of ulcers and associated comorbidities.* Pedal fat pad atrophy, which is typically associated with pain under the heads of the metatarsals, can also occur.

(*nb. "comorbidities" means other diseases or conditions occurring at the same time. Also, "pedal" here probably means "having to do with the feet," and not "that thing on your bike.")
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it either
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Guess the OP wasn't that interested in actually talking about it... :/
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I have become more picky about my shoes because of heel pain that has developed over the last few years. I never knew there was a name for it. I don't think I am going to look into fat grafting, though.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    I have become more picky about my shoes because of heel pain that has developed over the last few years. I never knew there was a name for it. I don't think I am going to look into fat grafting, though.

I do have a spot on the ball of my left foot that is a bit painful, especially in flat shoes. I wonder if that's what is going on. I'm relatively young, so I hope not!
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

I do have a spot on the ball of my left foot that is a bit painful, especially in flat shoes. I wonder if that's what is going on. I'm relatively young, so I hope not!

It might be more to do with the frequency/intensity of your training.

One of the reasons why I don't advice deadlifting or squatting barefoot or without a well supported shoe for the arch. The pain you mention happens quite frequently in older lifters.

One of the side effects of my chemo was loss off all the padding on my feet and layers of skin on my hands. Deadlifts were not fun ;).

I squat in Adidas Leistungs and deadlift in Chucks. If I were to get a different deadlift shoe, do you have a suggestion, @chieflrg? As you already know, the flat sole is to keep my foot from rocking side-to-side or back and forth like it would in a running shoe.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

It might be more to do with the frequency/intensity of your training.

One of the reasons why I don't advice deadlifting or squatting barefoot or without a well supported shoe for the arch. The pain you mention happens quite frequently in older lifters.

One of the side effects of my chemo was loss off all the padding on my feet and layers of skin on my hands. Deadlifts were not fun ;).

I squat in Adidas Leistungs and deadlift in Chucks. If I were to get a different deadlift shoe, do you have a suggestion, @chieflrg? As you already know, the flat sole is to keep my foot from rocking side-to-side or back and forth like it would in a running shoe.

Yeah, preference and foot width is going to dictate alot. You are going to have to decide what direction is best for you.

Generally speaking, I'm suggesting a leather shoe since the material won't stretch allowing the arch to collapse. One with a metatarsal strap is a plus for the same reason. Especially if you sumo or point toes out for those squat with more of a extreme hip rotation.

Cost efficiency default for deadlifts are either soccer or wrestling shoes. Another option is take a back up pair of squat shoes and have the heels peeled off and resoled flat.

There is nothing wrong with Chucks, but it may or may not be part of the problem in your case. Once we get to a certain intensity with pain that can't be tolerated, we need to experiment and find fixes.

• quiksylver296
    edited October 2018
    Options
    You're the man. ;)

I do sumo.

Currently, it doesn't hurt when I'm actually deadlifting. It hurts if I walk barefoot on a hard surface, or if I'm wearing work flats (women's shoes with no real sole or arch support) on a hard surface like concrete.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    You're the man. ;)

I do sumo.

Currently, it doesn't hurt when I'm actually deadlifting. It hurts if I walk barefoot on a hard surface, or if I'm wearing work flats (women's shoes with no real sole or arch support) on a hard surface like concrete.

I see.

When you inspect the ball of the foot, do you have extra padding or calloused skin directly below where the pain is? If so try shaving it down with a ped-egg or pumice stone.

If possible you would get some pain relieve from a thin sole insert.

Sorry you and OP are dealing with pain.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to talk about it, I just don't know much about it, except that the foot pain is super bad.

I went on steroids a couple of weeks ago just to be able to get myself around without limping. I'm back to training every day, but not at the same level and Advil and icing have become good friends.
  • wefts
    wefts Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain ,you get it as you age or when you are heavy , Had it for years . loosing weight has helped a lot . I think it is genetic some of us have less padding on the foot