The role of sodium in bulking

Options
Hey guys. I see that the daily food diary for MFP includes a recommended sodium intake. Now, as a guy who has avoided table salt for decades, I have no idea the role it plays in our bulking plans. Can anyone enlighten me please?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    It doesn't play any roll in bulking or cutting or any of that. The recommended sodium intake is simply what is recommended by health organizations as a maximum amount of sodium.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    The only role it could play is if you added much more than usual and you retained more water weight which would improve your leverages allowing you to lift more.

This isn't common practice by any means for a bulk, but could be debated as a very extreme small edge. Not worth really contemplating at all, just thought it might be thrown out there as useless info.

Unless you have a health condition or need to watch your weight for a temporary goal, there is no reason to pay sodium intake any mind.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    There's noting wrong with salt as long as you don't have any health conditions that are directly affected by salt intake. As for bulking, a sodium spike can cause a temporary retention, that's about it.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Why would you restrict sodium?? Unless you have a health condition, there’s nothing wrong. I TRY to get 6-8 grams of it in a day