Running apps?

Anyone have a favorite running app? I just started using MapMyRun because it syncs with MFP but maybe you have something better? I am looking to train for a half marathon next March and need a training plan.

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Nothing beats a running watch. I tried every app in the store and finally caved and bought a Garmin. I'm on Garmin #2 and would never go back.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,267 Member
    c25k, c210k, they also have 1/2 marathon and marathon training. great apps and you can buy in combination and save money
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Nothing beats a running watch. I tried every app in the store and finally caved and bought a Garmin. I'm on Garmin #2 and would never go back.

Agreed. I'm on # 4, with only 1 actually breaking.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Garmin every time. I have the basic Forerunner 25 and I wouldn't swap it for anything. I was at a race on Monday and there was a woman with an old Forerunner 305. These things last forever.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    I agree that a watch is better than an app, but if you don't want to go that route, Strava is my go-to app when I don't have/want my garmin.

That said... I don't think most apps are either training plans or GPS tracking/pacing/timing. Rarely are they both.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    For training for a long distance run like that, I think a watch is worth the investment. Much easier to monitor the data you will want to see than whipping out a phone to check.

I liked Strava before I got my watch. You can't make a training plan on their free log-in, but if you pay for extra features I believe you can.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    I loved my Garmin's that I've used in the past. I had to quit running for awhile and gave my Garmin away. I picked up running (lower mileage) and I just use my iWatch. I don't run ultras any longer, so I don't need 24hr battery life. It's not as good as a dedicated Garmin, but it does soooo much more in other areas that I'm sticking with it for now. Unless someone gives me a pile of cash. Then I'll buy a Garmin tactix Charlie. :)
  • VickMacAttack
    VickMacAttack Posts: 7 Member
    GARMIN....no question. Syncs with this app just fine!

• youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I agree that a watch is better than an app, but if you don't want to go that route, Strava is my go-to app when I don't have/want my garmin.

That said... I don't think most apps are either training plans or GPS tracking/pacing/timing. Rarely are they both.

I will preface this by saying that I'm actually seriously considering getting a Garmin running watch, but I currently use runkeeper, which syncs with mfp, and that app also offers (paid) training plans. I can't attest to the quality of the training plans since I haven't used them, but I have been using the GPS for time/pace/distance for a few years after using mapmyrun/mapmyfitness for a while