Instant pot yogurt?

Options
2»

Replies

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    wenrob wrote: »
    I make “Cold Start.” 1 Carton Fairlife Milk (whole), 1/2 container (8ozs) Sweet Cream Natural Bliss and two tablespoons Oui yogurt. Stir it up, set on Normal or Medium depending on which IP you have for 8.5 hours, go to bed. When the timer beeps in the morning put directly into the fridge, DO NOT STIR. In 5-6 hours you should have nice, creamy, thick yogurt.

I use Whole Milk because I’ve found I need fat to feel satisfied. 2% works fine. I can’t vouch for skim.
    No need for the Creamer but I like it because it adds a creaminess and a hint of flavor without me having to pile on “toppings.”
    I prefer Oui over Fage, it produces a smoother, thicker yogurt.
    Whether you strain or not, it’s critical that you do not stir the yogurt until after it’s chilled or it will break down and become runny. I personally do not stir at all until I pull a single serv out to eat and stir back in whey.

I tried this yesterday using your recipe @wenrob and it came out really wonderful. Very thick and creamy and no straining needed. Thank you!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I have some straining in the fridge right now! Made the "cold start" (I know the name for it now, thank you) for 8 hours and then in the fridge to strain last night. I just finished the last of the previous batch for this morning's breakfast. That one was unstrained, interested to see the difference!

Edit: oh and because we are a calorie conscious gathering, what's the impact of straining the whey out, calorie wise?
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    wenrob wrote: »
    I make “Cold Start.” 1 Carton Fairlife Milk (whole), 1/2 container (8ozs) Sweet Cream Natural Bliss and two tablespoons Oui yogurt. Stir it up, set on Normal or Medium depending on which IP you have for 8.5 hours, go to bed. When the timer beeps in the morning put directly into the fridge, DO NOT STIR. In 5-6 hours you should have nice, creamy, thick yogurt.

I use Whole Milk because I’ve found I need fat to feel satisfied. 2% works fine. I can’t vouch for skim.
    No need for the Creamer but I like it because it adds a creaminess and a hint of flavor without me having to pile on “toppings.”
    I prefer Oui over Fage, it produces a smoother, thicker yogurt.
    Whether you strain or not, it’s critical that you do not stir the yogurt until after it’s chilled or it will break down and become runny. I personally do not stir at all until I pull a single serv out to eat and stir back in whey.

I tried this yesterday using your recipe @wenrob and it came out really wonderful. Very thick and creamy and no straining needed. Thank you!
    Awesome! You are very welcome!